Chinese respond to report on Apple's suppliers in China

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

The foreign devil thing is a bit harsh \ either a mistranslation or we are missing some context. Maybe it was tongue-in-cheek?

I think it was meant to be funny. I've read a few books that take place in China. It seems that such things are often said with affection.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

The level of abuse involved in creating your Samsung or HTC smartphone is likely an order of magnitude above anything going on at Foxconn, which has been subject to scrutiny for years.

From everything I've seen and heard, the entire industry bears close scrutiny. Let's hope that Apple is a leader in making that come about.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    The chinese speaks... IT IS NOT ONLY Apple that utilize chinese hands!. Besides, most of those reports regarding APPLE, are paid for by the other Brands jealous of Apple's success. There is Payola too in news reporting!
  • Reply 44 of 50
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Please stop commenting on things you don't understand.

China DOES allow labor unions:

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90...0/7188222.html

There's even a federation of trade unions: All-China Federation of Trade Unions (ACFTU).

More importantly, at least some Foxconn plants have unions:

http://somo.nl/news-en/somo-media-co...tronics-firm-1

"The Hangzhou factory has a trade union"

"In the Longhua production facility, a trade union exists"

Now, it can be argued (as this article does) that the Foxconn unions are puppets, but your statement that unions are not allowed is absolutely false. And it's not just China where there are puppet unions - there are unions in the U.S. that are simply company pawns, as well (I quit a job once because of one).

Just for some insight, I've worked for a union place before, and "in the back pocket of the company" is the best description of it. Your union is either at an arms lenght, and operates like a mini-mafiaa against the employer(like UAW), or your union only exists to keep control over the unionized employees, and offers nothing for the employees (like some UFCW.) When the union only negotiates minimum wage for it's employees, and then recommends everyone vote for it, you're better off without one. You end up earning less than minimum wage after dues. To be fair, working conditions at a factory doesn't compare to retail unless operating machinery is involved. Working for that unionized place was hell, as it was back-stabbing contest for working hours. No full-time employees, but some part-timers were given full-time hours without full-time benefits for months at a time. I could list plenty of employee endangerment that went on, but the point was made already that unions on this side of the pond are no better.

It's all a great scam really. Unions have become redundant with the cheap cost of internet and social media. At one time, companies used to cut costs by endangering employees, now most of that is covered by government regulations. This is where China and the US differ. China does appear to blatantly ignore safety problems (how many times does "lead paint" come up? Melamine in food?) until they are discovered or result in death over here. This is a direct result of not having the freedom to criticize the state and the business interests of the state. If you criticize the "foreign devils" they may not bring additional business to you, or even take away existing contracts.

Apple right now might not bring manufacturing back to the US as long as there are other countries willing to agree to their demands, but that is also why foreign companies don't build factories here either. They can get better concessions pretty much everywhere that isn't the US. The only companies that are willing to build factories in the US are those that both have a favorable tax incentive in RTW states, and the produced items are mostly sold to the domestic market to avoid shipping and tariffs. This largely favors heavy machinery and automobiles.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

All businesses need more government involvement.

NO!!! You are so wrong.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rickybill View Post

NO!!! You are so wrong.

And now that we have one instance of each side's opinion, let's stop the politicking right there.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    People who want to read something with a bit more balance, insight, and history should check out this short piece:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freee...mericaneconomy
  • Reply 48 of 50
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member
    I'm looking forward to reading an NYT expose of working conditions in Chinese factories producing the Galaxy SII and Galaxy Note. That'll be interesting.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Daniel did a neat job picking out all the comments that painted Apple in the most positive light.

Like this DED article?

Initial iBooks 2 titles offer disappointing interactivity
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The NYT is even worse.

NYT, is doing so bad that what ever they could do to sell news, LIES, LIES, LIES!!! Beside that NYT nolonger invesgate own stories before publish them, so why we should belive far left paper? NYT, were they their at Foxxcon accdent seen or watched on Youtub? I think dicided just write article after watching Youtub vid.