Former Apple exec and Palm chief Jon Rubinstein leaves HP

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post


    If you can't be bothered to take 5 seconds to spell check, you probably also can't be bothered to fact check, or even rumor check, and what you write is thus suspect. Not to mention, when writing about Apple, one should probably have a little pride in your craft. Lousy writing is more suited to lousy topics, say over at Cult of Android.



    I wasn't going to say anything about the typos since I have been chastised on another occasion for doing so, however, I might mention that in this case I just quit reading the article after those two consecutive typos in the second paragraph. The word 'pans' at least is a word but 'fofices' should have had a red squiggly line under it.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post


    This is off-topic, but I've never seen a photo of the guy that looked normal. Maybe he simply doesn't photograph well; the image in the article certainly looks a bit other-worldly.



    (And it also serves as an example why porn should not be offered in ultra-high definition. Too Much Information!)



    I was thinking the same thing. That rim light by his eye makes me think of terminator.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post


    On to better things?



    Maybe he'll end up back at apple



    I doubt it. If Jobs biography is to be believed, he and Ive didn't get along well. Ive would always want things done a certain way. Rubinstein would either say it can't be done or it costs too much. Ive would go behind Rubinstein's back, and get it done the way Ive wanted.



    Further, as another pointed out, Rubinstein while at Palm purposively skirted Apple's iTunes protection scheme to allow iTunes to work with Palm devices.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Its kind of sad. If any OS should be competing with iOS right now, its webos. Fantastic software that was unfortunately paired with terrible hardware and a unfortunate carrier deal. I still miss my bubble notifications and multitasking cards. So many excellent UI designs. I know I will probably get flamed for even bring up webOS in the same sentence as iOS, but it really was such a well designed little OS. I'll be interested to see where Jon lands, and as others have suggensted, NEST might not be such a bad place.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post


    Perfect replacement for Steve Bummer.



    Now there's a thought...
  • Reply 26 of 53
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    And they'd laugh at him. No way will they license OS X.



    Actually this is exactly what I see happening on a very limited scope though. With Apple's discontinuation of their Xserve line, I believe Apple is preparing to allow a few 3rd party licensees to sell enterprise class solutions (hardware and software) based off Mac OS X Server, while Apple concentrates on the home server market. The back-end, workflow market isn't very profitable in terms of hardware anymore and never was glamorous enough for Apple. Plus the overhead of supporting IT was something Apple has never been good at. Another company, such as Dell or HP already have the support system setup for IT, I'm sure they would love the opportunity to add yet another solution that they can push to clients as iPhones and iPads infiltrate IT departments.



    At some point Apple is going to want to slip into the IT back room, if only to add seamless support for their iDevices, Macs and iCloud.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post


    If you can't be bothered to take 5 seconds to spell check, you probably also can't be bothered to fact check, or even rumor check, and what you write is thus suspect. Not to mention, when writing about Apple, one should probably have a little pride in your craft. Lousy writing is more suited to lousy topics, say over at Cult of Android.



    Gordon



    You're not supposed to put commas before conjunctions ... are you?



    Then again maybe you can http://www.getitwriteonline.com/arch...CommaBfAnd.htm
  • Reply 28 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post


    This guy took his knowledge from Apple and had palm pre's connecting to iTunes like an apple branded iPod and flaunted that fact in Apple's face. Screw this bum.



    I thought that would be the main reaction in this thread, I'm surprised it hasn't been said by others.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    You're not supposed to put commas before conjunctions ...



    No think he is correct. You can put commas before some conjunctions if it is joining two separate clauses. When separating a list of items with commas you would not use a comma before the word 'and' on the last item.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    No think he is correct. You can put commas before some conjunctions if it is joining two separate clauses. When separating a list of items with commas you would not use a comma before the word 'and' on the last item.



    Yep, correct ... I added an update just below my first line with a link after I researched it. I never knew that before today - you live and learn ..



    back on topic. Jon reminds me of Jeff Goldblum ... well nearly back on topic.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Yep, correct ... I added an update just below my first line with a link after I researched it. I never knew that before today - you live and learn ..



    back on topic. Jon reminds me of Jeff Goldblum ... well nearly back on topic.



    I've learned not to correct anyone's grammar or typos... no matter how hard I would try I would always fuck something up in the reply.



    [maybe Jon has a future as a body double for Jeff]
  • Reply 32 of 53
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Yes come back to APPLE and help change the world once again!



    Always had respect for this guy
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post


    If you can't be bothered to take 5 seconds to spell check, you probably also can't be bothered to fact check, or even rumor check, and what you write is thus suspect. Not to mention, when writing about Apple, one should probably have a little pride in your craft. Lousy writing is more suited to lousy topics, say over at Cult of Android.



    Gordon



    And you probably didn't take a shower this morning or brush your teeth. And you left food past the expiration date in the fridge, not to mention driving a high gas consumption car.



    Or perhaps Gordo could lighten up a titch...
  • Reply 34 of 53
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    ""Jon has fulfilled his commitment and we wish him well, HP spokeswoman Mylene Mangalindan told Arik Hesseldahl of All Things D"



    Why does that sound the same as someone discussing a prisoner being released at the end of their sentence?



    I wonder if RIM will court him at all.



    They ought to make him CEO. He can't be worse than that retard they just promoted.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    I am sure now he is sitting around dreaming about how he will begin his own smartphone startup, called Sext, which will fail, but then be bought up by HP to save them from software incompetence. Then, as the dream continues, he takes over company and turns it into a tech powerhouse, which leads to someone writing his biography.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post


    I am sure now he is sitting around dreaming about how he will begin his own smartphone startup, called Sext, which will fail, but then be bought up by HP to save them from software incompetence. Then, as the dream continues, he takes over company and turns it into a tech powerhouse, which leads to someone writing his biography.



    You mean AfTER, right?
  • Reply 37 of 53
    mnbmnb Posts: 15member
    Rubenstein is an idiot. He proved that with much of what he did at Apple and how he came to leave the company as well as how he screwed up at HP.



    I could not be more pleased that he's got egg on his face ... yet again. Hopefully, no one will be dumb enough to give him another chance.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mnb View Post


    Rubenstein is an idiot. He proved that with much of what he did at Apple and how he came to leave the company as well as how he screwed up at HP.



    I could not be more pleased that he's got egg on his face ... yet again. Hopefully, no one will be dumb enough to give him another chance.



    Explain with more detail, please.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mnb View Post


    Rubenstein is an idiot. He proved that with much of what he did at Apple and how he came to leave the company as well as how he screwed up at HP.



    I could not be more pleased that he's got egg on his face ... yet again. Hopefully, no one will be dumb enough to give him another chance.



    That's a little harsh... I wouldn't call him an idiot and I really don't think it's his fault that HP failed on WebOS. They gave it a small try but didn't keep at it even long enough to improve upon the product. I really think it was headed in the right direction if giving enough time and the right improvements maybe even successfully.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post


    Actually this is exactly what I see happening on a very limited scope though. With Apple's discontinuation of their Xserve line, I believe Apple is preparing to allow a few 3rd party licensees to sell enterprise class solutions (hardware and software) based off Mac OS X Server, while Apple concentrates on the home server market. The back-end, workflow market isn't very profitable in terms of hardware anymore and never was glamorous enough for Apple. Plus the overhead of supporting IT was something Apple has never been good at. Another company, such as Dell or HP already have the support system setup for IT, I'm sure they would love the opportunity to add yet another solution that they can push to clients as iPhones and iPads infiltrate IT departments.



    At some point Apple is going to want to slip into the IT back room, if only to add seamless support for their iDevices, Macs and iCloud.



    Just to be clear -- my preference would be for apple to do this themselves, but if they don't want to dilute their focus for a smaller market like this, then I hope that they do license OSX so that this market can be served. They don't have to license OSX broadly, just to one or two "anointed" OEMs. And they should charge enough for the license that it's not economical for anyone to compete with them in the home market (maybe charge $200 per seat or something).



    If Apple refuses to license, then perhaps someone like Rubenstein could start a company that builds an OS off of Darwin. For a server or high-end workstation target audience, it's not critical to have exactly the same UI as OSX. Just a thought...
Sign In or Register to comment.