Problem with MacBook Pro Nvidia Graphics card

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobalee01 View Post

Does anyone know where I can buy the logic board and replace it myself?

iFixit. Hang on, I'll grab a link.

Ah, wait, four years old Christmas… that'd make it a Late 2007 model, right? And 15 or 17?

15" 2.2.

15" 2.4.

17" 2.4.

• Reply 22 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    bobalee01 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can buy the logic board and replace it myself?

There are repair services for this problem on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Pro-A1260-A1229-A1226-A1211-logic-board-REPAIR-/230633002794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b2cc572a#ht_2688wt_983

I can't believe they'd bump up the price so much just because you don't have the original DVD drive. Even if they'd said they'd have to give you a replacement optical drive, it shouldn't be near that much. As if anyone would repair a 2007 MBP for $1200 when you can get a refurb 15" for around that price.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    ileneilene Posts: 4member

My 15-inch Macbook Pro has the NVIDIA GPU issue, according to an Apple store. I was approved to have my logic board replaced free. It was replaced, and one week later the new logic board failed. A second logic board was put in yesterday. Today that logic board failed. I'm having the same geometric images appear on the screen, bad video, etc. So I'm looking at THREE logic boards in less than two weeks. The genius at my Apple store said the GPUs in the replacement boards for these affected computers are failing, even though supposedly  the new boards have a different GPU. On Apple discussion boards you read of users with this issue getting three and four logic boards replaced and still having problems. Apple clearly has not provided a fix for the NVIDIA issue, though it maintains it has.

I'm stuck with a fried computer. 

My computer was purchased  in mid April 2008. One week after it's 4th anniversary, the screen wouldn't light up, though it there was a light indicating the computer was on. For sometime before that, at least a month or two months, I  had problems of geometric designs appearing, screen going dark and broken video, but I just kept using it because it continued otherwise to work. I did not know what the problem was.   After it was not useable, I spent a week trying to determine the problem and then concluded it was the NVIDIA issue and took it to an Apple store, where that issue was confirmed. At first Apple said it would not fix it since it was out of the 4-year NVIDIA warranty window. Then it said since it was so close to the warranty period, it would fix it under the warranty. I was happy. I even paid Apple to put in a new hard drive. Little did I know that Apple's "fix" for the NVIDIA would not work. So now I'm faced with getting my third logic board in less than two weeks and have zero confidence it will work. So my computer is toast.

I asked the Apple store to give me more than 90-days on the warranty for the logic board because the boards are clearly failing. I was told by the store manager no. I asked for replacement computer because clearly Apple's "fix" for the problem did not fix the problem and I had GPU issues during the 4-year warranty period. The store manager told me no. I was told I have 4-year old computer, and that's apparently considered a throwaway age by Apple, even though the problem that has rendered it useless was caused by  a defect in it when Apple sold the computer, a defect Apple acknowledges the computers have, though granted the defect is NVIDIA's fault. However, NVIDIA is paying Apple to fix these computers.

Apple certainly is not standing behind its product on the NVIDIA issue because it's "fix" for the defect is clearly not working.  Apple has not stepped up to offer a genuine fix and seems not to care how this affects its customers. I won't buy another Apple computer.

• Reply 24 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilene View Post

My 15-inch Macbook Pro has the NVIDIA GPU issue, according to an Apple store. I was approved to have my logic board replaced free. It was replaced, and one week later the new logic board failed. A second logic board was put in yesterday. Today that logic board failed. I'm having the same geometric images appear on the screen, bad video, etc. So I'm looking at THREE logic boards in less than two weeks. The genius at my Apple store said the replacement boards for these affected computers are failing, even though supposedly  the new boards have a different GPU.

No, they don't. They have the exact same GPU, but from a different batch. Just clarifying. So you're on your third broken machine? Under AppleCare, that's cause for a modern model of comparable specs. Go back to the Apple Store, immediately talk to a manager, get your replacement.

Quote:

I asked the Apple store to give me more than 90-days on the warranty for the logic board because the boards are clearly failing. I was told by the store manager no. I asked for replacement computer because clearly Apple's "fix" for the problem did not fix the problem and I had GPU issues during the 4-year warranty period. The store manager told me no.

Mention this in your e-mail based on what I say just below.

Quote:

Apple has not stepped up to offer a genuine fix and seems not to care how this affects its customers. I won't buy another Apple computer.

No, this isn't the case. If you came here only to say the last sentence, you should have just said it and left, because we don't care about that. Your story isn't done yet. Take it back to Apple. Three fixes equals a new machine. If they don't grant it, get all your support documents and repair tickets and e-mail… hang on, I'll get the name and address… directly. You could even e-mail Tim Cook about it. You'll get a response, after having had it filter down to the appropriate person.

There IS no genuine fix. The entire run of that nVidia chip is faulty. Apple will replace your computer with a newer one if you fall within their criteria, and you do, as long as you're not lying here. 

EDIT: Okay, just go ahead and e-mail Tim Cook directly. I forget the name of the guy in charge of PR and who would help you directly, so if you e-mail Tim it will filter down to him appropriately.

• Reply 25 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Under AppleCare, that's cause for a modern model of comparable specs. Go back to the Apple Store, immediately talk to a manager, get your replacement.

There is no suitable replacement though. Even the entry 15" is 3-4x faster. This sort of thing might work with the Mac Pro if you bought an 8-core in 2008 and they gave you a modern quad-core but you can't expect a 4 year old dual-core to be upgraded to a 2012 quad-core. The equivalent of that machine is an 11" Macbook Air. Putting in another logic board is their best option. I would either sell it second-hand after getting a working repair with a 90-day warranty or sell it for spares. The value of the machine is under $500 fully working:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-pro-15-2-2GHz-Intel-core-Duo-2GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-/230773700319?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item35bb2f36df#ht_5489wt_1165

They could perhaps offer that amount of discount off the value of another machine and they keep the broken one without fitting another board but they aren't obligated to offer a $1799 MBP as a replacement for a broken machine worth under $500. They will have refurb models that can be offered with a full warranty with that discount and the warranty can be extended to 3 years.
  • Reply 26 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There is no suitable replacement though. Even the entry 15" is 3-4x faster. This sort of thing might work with the Mac Pro if you bought an 8-core in 2008 and they gave you a modern quad-core but you can't expect a 4 year old dual-core to be upgraded to a 2012 quad-core.

But that's what they DO. That's exactly what they do. People who suffered from the leaking of the liquid cooling system in their PowerMac G5 were given brand new (I think it would have been Penryn at the time) Mac Pros. This happens for every model if you meet the AppleCare replacement criteria.

• Reply 27 of 87
    ileneilene Posts: 4member

According to Seattle Rex who won the court case against Apple on the NVIDIA issue, Apple representatives testified in court that the SAME bad GPU is still attached to the logic boards that are being used to repair Macbook Pros when the GPU goes bad. The Apple reps said in court that this is being done because it's the only size component that fits the computers. Well, then it's no surprise that I've had two replacement logic boards with bad GPUs installed by Apple fail in less than two weeks. I'm getting ready to go in for my THIRD logic board replacement due to bad GPUs in less than two weeks. That will be a total of 4 bad GPUs for my computer, including the original. No wonder the GPUs are failing if it's the same bad GPU contained on the logic boards Apple keeps putting in and is the same GPU as what caused the problem to start with. Is this fraud or some other criminal activity by Apple by replacing a known defective part with the same defective part? Apple appears to be hoping the GPUs won't fail  until after 90-day warranty on the replacement logic boards expire and then customers are stuck. 

It seems Apple has to replace these computers or provide another fix. The computers were defective and set to fail when sold, and Apple's "fix" is clearly not a fix. What a joke on its customers! 

I had Apple install a new hard drive on my computer after the first logic board replacement because it was beginning to show failure, according to a genius' test, and paid for that thinking with a new hard drive and logic board I'd be good for awhile with the computer. The technician who gave me back my computer, said yes, the life of the computer should be extended with the two replacements. Well the computer operated only a few days before the GPU failed again. 

• Reply 28 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilene View Post

Is this fraud or some other criminal activity by Apple by replacing a known defective part with the same defective part?

No. nVidia told Apple and everyone else that later runs of the 8600M were fixed. If they've also been shown to be defective, that's a different issue than the original one.

Quote:

It seems Apple has to replace these computers or provide another fix.

Which they do. Three repairs and you get a replacement.

Quote:

The computers were defective and set to fail when sold, and Apple's "fix" is clearly not a fix. What a joke on its customers! 

Calm down. Just do what I said before and you should be fine.

• Reply 29 of 87

I have a 2007 Macbook Pro which started to have problems back in February and I was devastated because I knew it was out of Apple Care warranty.  I found some forums that mentioned the Nvidia graphics card issues that sounded like the problems I was having.  First off, I phoned Apple technical department and was told by a tech and then his supervisor in no uncertain terms that firstly I was out of warranty, Apple Care had expired and the 4 year Nvidia "warranty" on the graphics card had also expired back in November 2011, so I would have to pay to have the problem fixed myself.  Well, I don't have the cash to pay for the repairs, or to buy a new Apple product and was extremely angry that I considered Apple were doing the wrong thing by me, when Nvidia are forking out to fix the issue anyway.  I was so incensed I was planning on never purchasing another Apple product ever again.  However, very fortunately, I persisted.  This time I got a different tech who put me straight through to Apple Care and a my new best friend, Andrew, who told me to take it to an Apple certified repairer (I don't have a Mac Shop near me) to have it tested and if it showed that it was a fault with the graphics card, they would authorise for it to be repaired with no expense to me.  This took a couple of weeks, and the first time my techs spoke to their techs the response was again that it was too late, but one more quick email to my mate Andrew at Apple Care and all was sorted out.  I haven't got my MacBook Pro back yet, but have heard that the part has been ordered and have confirmation that I'll not be out of pocket.

The moral of this story is don't give up.  Talk to Apple Care and be persistent.

• Reply 30 of 87
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Yes, (I know, ironic given my username) but pursue firmly any Nvidia MacBook Pro-related issues. Whether in your State, USA, Canada, Australia, UK, etc. generally there are "statutory warranties" which exceed AppleCare and any Apple official recall scheme.

That is, explore statutory warranties by your local, state and federal government which says, a product is expected to work, and not related to normal wear and tear, beyond any timeframe specified by the manufacturer (1 year, 3 years, 10 years, doesn't matter, check your statutory warranty laws).

• Reply 31 of 87
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddogmamma View Post

I have a 2007 Macbook Pro which started to have problems back in February and I was devastated because I knew it was out of Apple Care warranty.  I found some forums that mentioned the Nvidia graphics card issues that sounded like the problems I was having.  First off, I phoned Apple technical department and was told by a tech and then his supervisor in no uncertain terms that firstly I was out of warranty, Apple Care had expired and the 4 year Nvidia "warranty" on the graphics card had also expired back in November 2011, so I would have to pay to have the problem fixed myself.  Well, I don't have the cash to pay for the repairs, or to buy a new Apple product and was extremely angry that I considered Apple were doing the wrong thing by me, when Nvidia are forking out to fix the issue anyway.  I was so incensed I was planning on never purchasing another Apple product ever again.  However, very fortunately, I persisted.  This time I got a different tech who put me straight through to Apple Care and a my new best friend, Andrew, who told me to take it to an Apple certified repairer (I don't have a Mac Shop near me) to have it tested and if it showed that it was a fault with the graphics card, they would authorise for it to be repaired with no expense to me.  This took a couple of weeks, and the first time my techs spoke to their techs the response was again that it was too late, but one more quick email to my mate Andrew at Apple Care and all was sorted out.  I haven't got my MacBook Pro back yet, but have heard that the part has been ordered and have confirmation that I'll not be out of pocket.

The moral of this story is don't give up.  Talk to Apple Care and be persistent.

I was persistent circa 2009-2010 and finally after 2 months or so AppleCare ("extended warranty") (escalated to Australia from Malaysia) authorised repair of the bottom case of my MacBook Unibody 1st Gen. Took some time to escalate, lots of pictures, Apple telling me "incorrect tools were used" (but luckily the unit was opened up at an Apple Premium Reseller authorised servicer, etc) and finally it was sorted out. Basically the MacBook Unibody 1st gen has a bottom case with two little protrusions that, for example, keeps the DVD drive in place. Those fell off, probably due to bad glue, so DVDs couldn't go in and out of the unibody metal slot properly because the DVD drive was not aligned by the pressure of those bottom case potrusions.

• Reply 32 of 87

Almost the same thing happened to me.  I have a 2007 MBP with the infamous  Nvidia 8600M that failed in the 5th year (this year) and was

told it will cost $310 to replace since the "4 year Extension" expired.

Very Unfair to put a time limit on a known defect.  The GPU should last the life of the computer.

I'm very very disappointed in how this "Deal" was made with Nvidia who won't stand by their product.

I will never buy a computer with a GPU made by Nvidia.

Apple should drop  them as a supplier. (And no, I don't work for Apple).

AppleMBP2007 Frustrated Owner

• Reply 33 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleMBP2007 View Post

I will never buy a computer with a GPU made by Nvidia.

Apple should drop  them as a supplier. (And no, I don't work for Apple).

Nor will I, if I can help it.

And they have. image

• Reply 34 of 87

Ok...so let me get this straight...If you have a 2008 "model" of the Macbook Pro, then Apple is/was offering a 4-yr. warranty on the GPU/logic board?!  I never heard of that!  Here's my issue...late 2008 model, actually purchased May 2009 and warranty just expired on May 29th.  Had the classic Nvidia problems, logic board replaced March/April 2011.  Continue to have problem, took my laptop in last month and it "magically" checked out fine.  Got it back on May 31st.  Now this evening the POS is deader than a door nail.  Did all the troubleshooting, etc.  My experience w/ the MacExperience and Apple store supports leaves something to be desired...I contact AppleCare and the ahole doesn't even give me a case number and transfer me to tier 2, which no one or voice service ever picked up after letting the call ring for over 45 minutes.  At this point, I'm looking at a dead piece of metal w/ no warranty support because Apple wouldn't address the problems, when I previously took my laptop in for issues!  I've filed a report on RipOffReport, have sent a lovely email to the specific MacExperience store and I am now drafting a letter to send to various departments, i.e. DOJ, Attorney General, BBB.  I will probably go ahead and file a claim in small claims court as well, seeing how successful that route has become w/ the big companies.  What are the specifics on the 4-yr. logic board/GPU "warranty"?  At this point, I would have no problem severing absolutely all ties w/ Apple and steering others away from them.  IT for over 13 years, various certs, etc., so some Mac "Genius" trying to tell me I don't know jack is not going to fly.  You know what they say about a women scorned.

• Reply 35 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by illyanawho View Post

I will probably go ahead and file a claim in small claims court as well, seeing how successful that route has become w/ the big companies.

Except the suit is already taken care of and they can't be sued again.

Quote:

What are the specifics on the 4-yr. logic board/GPU "warranty"?

How did you buy it in May 2009? By the end of October 2012, all computers under this program will have been invalidated.

• Reply 36 of 87

The specifics of the 4 year warranty are as follows from the Genius Bar at the Apple Store:

Free LogicBoard replacement with "fixed" Nvidia  hardware and 90 day warranty, if the Nvidia failure occurs within

4 years of your "Purchase Date" of your MBP.

If it has been more than 4 years since your purchase date, the repair will cost $310 with a 90 day warranty.

Hope this helps.

AppleMBP2007

• Reply 37 of 87
    You take your MacBook to the Apple Store and easily repair the damage what you are having with your Nvidia Graphics card.

http://www.macharddriverecovery.com
  • Reply 38 of 87

Im having problems with my graphics cards as well and apple wont assist

• Reply 39 of 87
    msdontplay wrote: »
    Im having problems with my graphics cards as well and apple wont assist

There are two possible months left in the warranty extension. Unless you bought your computer less than four years ago from this date right now, they're not going to do it for free.

And you mean graphics card (unless you have two computers with the problem), as the problem here stops when the unibody came out.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    lorisloris Posts: 1member

Just adding my info in case it helps anyone else....

I bought my MBP in March 08, it's now July 2012 & the graphics card has just gone 4 months after the 4 year deadline. After extensive googling I found out about this problem (no, Apple did not inform people - they only put it up on a page on their website) & lined up some appointments at various Genius Bars in London. The first one said no, & I left it. The second one my partner, who is more tenacious than me, tried, they said no, held on, asked to speak to the manager "as a gesture of goodwill" etc. & eventually they relented & said they would do it for free. I haven't had it back yet so I can't comment on whether it works now, but  the moral of the story is that they can say yes if they feel like it, so just pester them until they do.