MasterCard acknowledges it needs Apple to bring NFC payments into the mainstream

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Why?

People have always carried wallets with all the same information contained within (and probably more). Yet it was never an issue before.

Because in order to get that information out of your wallet without your permission, I have to go up to you and hit you over the head, or at least point a gun at you.

If you keep it on an always-connected internet device, all I have to do is hack that device - and if it's the same device millions of other people have, I can probably hack their devices too. I don't have to physically even see you to go that route.

But if I want to go the up close and personal route, NFC lets me see what's in your wallet or on your phone without hitting you - I only have to get close to you. You'll never know your pocket's been picked.

I know you probably missed the security demo the other day, but it's easy to read a NFC card. Now, it uses a one-time CVV number - but I don't need that if I've got a card writer - I can just stick your card number and expiration date on another card with a magstripe, and use it like that. I can even stick it on a card with my name on it.

NFC solves a problem that doesn't exist, and creates LOTS of new problems. I see no reason to EVER use it.

Oh, and the chip-and-pin stuff in Europe? The banks claim it's unhackable. But it's been hacked - and if you're the lucky one whose account gets cleaned out, forget getting any of your money back - unlike credit cards, the "unhackable" claim lets the bank off the hook.

For the customer, the magstripe is the safest thing going. The card can't be remotely read, it has to be touched. And the weaknesses are well known, so the banks are required to reimburse losses when the security fails. The new technologies are no more secure, in many cases less so. But they're FAR more secure for the banks, since it's the customer who will be on the hook.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    If Apple pushes NFC it will become commonplace overnight.

The iPhone would be a great vehicle for bringing NFC to the masses.

Android has had NFC in the Nexus S since the end of 2010 and it still hasn't advanced the cause.
  • Reply 63 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, but will they actually DO it, or will they go off and do their own thing that is completely incompatible with what Apple did?

NFC would be neat, but I don't want it becoming another iChat? or another FaceTime? or another anything where Apple picked a standard and everyone ignored it?

Personally, I don't like credit cards. I don't like the digitization of my money. I prefer physical bills (coins suck, obviously. Do away with the penny.) more than anything, but I hate carrying a wallet. If this can function as a debit card, I'd be interested. If it's an interest-based payment system, count me out.

I did not want to use credit cards either because I feared that somebody is using the data to buy some expensive stuff. Then I found a certain ewallet where you can use digital credit cards that create new numbders etc. after every purchase. Just a fyi that it's indeed possible.