New photos hint Apple may still have plans for new iPod nano with camera

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Um ... James Bond wristwatch facetime?!?!

As there's no front camera, that's pretty pointless. And since they couldn't possibly put a Wi-Fi or 3G chip in there…

And what's with the "James Bond" references here? I could have sworn Dick Tracy did it first.

Actually, I've never seen Bond with such a device at all…
  • Reply 22 of 38
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As there's no front camera, that's pretty pointless. And since they couldn't possibly put a Wi-Fi or 3G chip in there?

And what's with the "James Bond" references here? I could have sworn Dick Tracy did it first.

Well, it *could* have the front camera as part of the screen. There was an apple patent along those lines years ago.

But yeah, Bluetooth 4.0 would be the best new feature to have.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Apple is gonna make a Dick Tracy video wristwatch! Wasn't that once some kind of tech holy grail?

I'm with Flaneur. Lots of interesting things up high that I'd like to investigate. Who makes a good tough balloon that won't pop going through tree branches? There are radio controlled toy helicopters...

I've been wanting the square Nano just as a wristwatch but we have so many Apple devices...thanks Flaneur, now I am obsessed with getting this if it comes out!!
  • Reply 24 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

I know this only matters to very few, but after a couple of instances locally where joggers were killed by hit and run drivers, it would be nice to have some technology in the Nano that might capture a sudden jarring movement and transmit geo info and a picture to a preset address.

Wow, now there's some urban thinking. But it would be useful for wildlife and such, maybe.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Apple is gonna make a Dick Tracy video wristwatch! Wasn't that once some kind of tech holy grail? [ . . . ] now I am obsessed with getting this if it comes out!!

I second your obsession. Wearable/flyable cameras first, then wearable screens, and then . . . who knows? This is the kind of R&D that $100 billion and a spaceship headquarters will provoke. Blessings to Steve Jobs for having flown that high himself.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Well, it *could* have the front camera as part of the screen. There was an apple patent along those lines years ago.

But yeah, Bluetooth 4.0 would be the best new feature to have.

Still eagerly waiting for that camera-screen myself. As a matrix embedded across the screen, I wonder if it could do light-field tricks, or 3D, or what.

So how do you envision the Bluetooth working? If it could output the video that the camera is seeing, that would be a great boon. The trouble with the 5th gen nano is that you can't monitor when you're using it remotely.

See you guys later, I'm starting to look like Ireland here, with all the what-if posts.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    This is a privacy nightmare. Small and concealable for taking videos in the girls locker room without getting spotted. At last the 5th gen Nano was larger and easier to spot.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

This is a privacy nightmare. Small and concealable for taking videos in the girls locker room without getting spotted. At last the 5th gen Nano was larger and easier to spot.

Hah... They make cameras smaller. Trust me- this isn't the go-to camera for peeping toms
  • Reply 29 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    A good feature or not this looks authentic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Agreed GPS would be better then a camera, but battery concerns maybe the prevent that feature

I'd rather have BT that was good enough to allow for wireless headphones. Of course, I'm also hoping for power efficiency so they won't die after an hour of use but I'm wishing here.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd rather have BT that was good enough to allow for wireless headphones. Of course, I'm also hoping for power efficiency so they won't die after an hour of use but I'm wishing here.

Hey, Bluetooth 4.0 probably allows at least a few hours of listening.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

Hey, Bluetooth 4.0 probably allows at least a few hours of listening.

The Low Energy feature of Bluetooth 4.0 doesn't have near enough bandwidth for streaming music as far as I understand it. And I don't think the standard form of Bluetooth 4.0 has significantly improved on power usage. I'd think that would likely come from better HW tech.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I want the click wheel back or I'll hold on to my 5th gen nano forever.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I want the click wheel back or I'll hold on to my 5th gen nano forever.

Enjoy forever, then.

*looks at cursor as it hovers over the Reply button*

OH MY GOSH, WORTHLESS SAFARI 5.1.3 GIVE ME BACK MY REAL POINTER FINGER. WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS, KIDDIELAND?!

What was Apple THINKING changing the cursor?!

It was clean, it was elegant, it had a SINGLE PIXEL removed for the beautiful arc thingy on the top of the glove and now it looks like an amateur hour map on the Alternate History forum.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

Enjoy forever, then.

*looks at cursor as it hovers over the Reply button*

OH MY GOSH, WORTHLESS SAFARI 5.1.3 GIVE ME BACK MY REAL POINTER FINGER. WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS, KIDDIELAND?!

What was Apple THINKING changing the cursor?!

It was clean, it was elegant, it had a SINGLE PIXEL removed for the beautiful arc thingy on the top of the glove and now it looks like an amateur hour map on the Alternate History forum.

This kind of change in a tertiary update makes me wonder if it will look great with HiDPI displays which makes me wonder if we'll get them on Macs before 10..7.4 is out.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Will do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Been thinking about it. It weighs 35.7 grams or 1.26 oz.. A mount might weigh an ounce, or 28 grams. Nobody ever talks about total payload on those helis, yet. I'd rather not mess with a single camera, though, and set up a left and right for 3D. Might as well go for up to date, or the future. Total weight would be under four ounces.

Lemme know if you find a good one, would you?

• Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Craziness. What's the point? Everyone uses these as watches. Even Apple acknowledged that. You can't use a camcorder when you're using it like that, much less NORMALLY. How would you even hold it?

I just want Bluetooth 4.0 and the ability to act as a notification screen. Granted, I already have one of the current ones and won't be upgrading, but to see that be available to others would be neat.

With a clip, you can maybe plug it as a spycam?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    i am going to get one cuz i dont have a mp3 player yet so it will work for as for a bigger capactiy its gonna be hard use flash memeory like that as far as i know flash ememory limists right for a resonable prie is set at 4 gb
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RereTrosseJax View Post

i am going to get one cuz i dont have a mp3 player yet so it will work for as for a bigger capactiy its gonna be hard use flash memeory like that as far as i know flash ememory limists right for a resonable prie is set at 4 gb

Only if you have the world's tightest definition of 'reasonable'.

You can get 16GB of NAND flash memory that fits into a MICROSD CARD of all things for $12. That's WAY smaller physically than the chip in the iPod nano.