Nokia's Windows Phone transition to impact results for most of 2012

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At this point, it makes no sense for MSFT to not buy Nokia.

Just get on with it.

Would you buy Nokia? Why should Microsoft, then?
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

So much wrong with your reaction, where should I start.

Post did not say MS invented kinect, but sponsored the innovation (by giving it a podium with xbox).

Windows Phone is not the same UI as Zune and it's (personal opinion) not horrible. Read some reviews from indepedent parties, almost all reviews are very positive about WP7.5.

A complete failure in the marketplace by introducing for instance the lumia 800 in a limited number of european countries and selling 1 million of them in 2 months. Not ios sales, but certainly not a complete failure.

Also, you should take a good look at all the inventions of Apple, most where licensed or bought. No problem there, at least not with me. That's the way how things work.

We are not dumb here. Everyone knows exactly what you are getting at with the Astro-turfing job. Yes, the Nokia Windows Phone _is_ a complete failure. If you do not compare it against its competitors, what do you compare it to?

I can find reviews which say anything, even that the Zune was great...does not make it so. Microsoft spreads a lot of money around to get favorable press. If it is so great, why is no one buying them? Hint....it is because Windows Phone is horrible. no one was buying the other cloner Windows Phones before Nokia, why would they buy them now?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Serves them well for abandoning Maemo. I cannot imagine what kind of person would choose Windows Phone before the several alternatives, and why.

You probably haven't played with Windows Phone recently. I am an Apple guy through and through, but the Lumia is probably better made than everything other than the iPhone. I also found the new version of Windows Phone pretty solid. I would pick it over Android (running on the Nokia hardware).
  • Reply 24 of 40
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

We are not dumb here. Everyone knows exactly what you are getting at with the Astro-turfing job. Yes, the Nokia Windows Phone _is_ a complete failure. If you do not compare it against its competitors, what do you compare it to?

I can find reviews which say anything, even that the Zune was great...does not make it so. Microsoft spreads a lot of money around to get favorable press. If it is so great, why is no one buying them? Hint....it is because Windows Phone is horrible. no one was buying the other cloner Windows Phones before Nokia, why would they buy them now?

Or perhaps because when you walk in a store the one Windows Phone offering is surrounded by Android offerings. The store people are paid perks to push the Android phones.

Apple used to have the same problem before it opened up its own retail stores, and the stores within stores. Sales people push 1) what they know, or 2) what makes them money.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Or perhaps because when you walk in a store the one Windows Phone offering is surrounded by Android offerings. The store people are paid perks to push the Android phones.

Apple used to have the same problem before it opened up its own retail stores, and the stores within stores. Sales people push 1) what they know, or 2) what makes them money.

Or perhaps, they push you to what is selling? Or they move you away from the crappy phones( Windows Phone) to the better phones?

I love all the excuses as to why Windows Phone is not selling....no one can just admit it is terrible. there is no innovation. if people are in the market for a bland cloner phone, they can already get that in an Android device. If they want an innovative phone, they can buy an iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

I had the rare opportunity to try the phone in the UK and have had interactions with a NOkia lead engineer here in the US. The Nokia phone is awesome. Even the tech bloggers like it.

The idea of hating a Microsoft products is so 90s.

Keep in mind Microsoft sponsors a lot of innovation - kinect, TED, etc.

Apple - meh.

And iOS come on - whats changed since 2007?!

Wake up fanbois, Apple is trendy, not innovative. Anymore.

Stop thinking Apple has THE only ecosystem now. A zillion apps is great but whens the last time you actually paid for one?

I've tried it too. It's not that great. There are a lot of problems MS still needs to fix, and the hardware is just so so. Now we hear that the top of the line model, the 800, will no longer be the top. Of the line, and the 900 will be. Well, how is that going to affect pricing, as the 800 is at $199 and the 720 is at $50, considering that the said that they'd like to price the 900 at $100 (with a two year contract of course).

The poor sales so far aren't encouraging

And we should all remember that it was Ollila who famously stated, before he was kicked out as CEO, that the iPhone was just a boutique product, and that Nokia had nothing to worry about from Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

I had the rare opportunity to try the phone in the UK and have had interactions with a NOkia lead engineer here in the US. The Nokia phone is awesome. Even the tech bloggers like it.

The idea of hating a Microsoft products is so 90s.

Keep in mind Microsoft sponsors a lot of innovation - kinect, TED, etc.

Apple - meh.

And iOS come on - whats changed since 2007?!

Wake up fanbois, Apple is trendy, not innovative. Anymore.

Stop thinking Apple has THE only ecosystem now. A zillion apps is great but whens the last time you actually paid for one?

Yeah, it's not like Apple sets the industry trends. I mean, App,e doesn't have a TV out yet and look at the response to Apple's vaporware at CES this year!

And it's not like Apple redefined the phone, mp3, or tablet arenas. Cause all Apple does is copy and then for some reason every one copies Apple. Sound about right?

And for the record, Apple sells about a billion dollars worth of apps a year. Last I read developers had ceived over a few billion in royalties? Yep, no one buys iOS apps.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Post did not say MS invented kinect, but sponsored the innovation (by giving it a podium with xbox).

Windows Phone is not the same UI as Zune and it's (personal opinion) not horrible. Read some reviews from indepedent parties, almost all reviews are very positive about WP7.5.

A complete failure in the marketplace by introducing for instance the lumia 800 in a limited number of european countries and selling 1 million of them in 2 months. Not ios sales, but certainly not a complete failure.

Also, you should take a good look at all the inventions of Apple, most where licensed or bought. No problem there, at least not with me. That's the way how things work.

The UI is derived from the Zune HD. It's pretty obvious, even if you haven't used both the HD and the phone.

Is it horrible? No, it's not, but it lacks a number of things that make it a real pain if you have a lot of apps, er, tiles, and long lists of contacts, for example. These are major problems that MS must fix. Fixing the listing problem can be done without too much difficulty, if they want to.

But fixing the tile problem is much more of a problem because of the way MS intends the OS to be used. The problem is simple, and we had it on iOS and they had it on Android as well. It relates to the number of apps you have, and how to find them. Apple, and later Google fixed the problem by allowing the much requested folders solution. But with tiles supposed to be "live", folders would hide them, which is what MS doesn't want.

We can see how MS expects WPx to be used from their Ads. Get it out, do something quickly, and put it away. They obviously don't think the phone is an object of joy, the way both Android and iOS users find them to be. MS seems to think that using a smartphone is something people dislike doing, so they want you to get it over with as quickly as possible, and the phone OS is oriented towards you doing just that.

This means that they apparently don't expect you to get a lot of apps, just the few you need, not apps you would have fun with. Because of that apparent orientation, there has been no allowance as to what happens if people do get dozens of apps as iOS and now, Android users are doing. So it's scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll. That's what we didn't want to do, but according to MS, it seems as though that's what they want you to do. And then, because tiles look much more alike than icons on Android or iOS, it's easy to scroll past, and have to back up. This ain't good!

I firmly believe that one of the reasons why people seem to have such little interest in WP is because it works the opposite of how they want it to. If you only care about social networking, it seems pretty good. But if you're interested in anything else, it seems pretty bad.

The weak hardware hasn't helped. MS has done a good job of getting the UI working well with the single core, but fast SoC's they're using, but apps don't care how fast the UI is. It will take to the end of the year when MS comes out with Apollo for dual core SoC's to make their debut. Hopefully, that won't be too late.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You're making it up about spiffs. The only one we know who is going to use spiffs is MS. They recently said so. Why? Because no one want to sell or buy their phones.

Apple uses no spiffs, and neither does Samsung or HTC. Some smaller, less successful makers may.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Windows Phones might not be as bad as Android, but only Apple haters would even consider getting one.

The ecosystem is not even a fraction of Apple's, and it locks you in to giving Microsoft profits every time you buy an app, instead of helping Apple to make better products.

It is not better than iOS in any way. But some people will insist that they "just like it" because they don't want Apple and Android is so horrible.

Who are you to speak for other people. You are just talking utter crap.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    I have owned several Iphones.. 1st gen, 3g, 3gs, and have had plenty of use with Iphone 4 and 4s. I have also owned an HTC EVO and several other Android phones. I now have an HTC Titan which is fantastic. Yes it's huge!! The OS is simply amazing. Most people only use 5-10 apps. My main apps are pinned to my start screen. I have about 100 apps installed and the list is easy to navigate, All you have to do is click on the block that highlights the first letter of the app to navigate quickly. You can also voice command to to open the app. What I really love is the integration of features that minimize the apps that you have to go into to get what you want. ( e.g. Local Scount, Bing Vision, ) These features are naticve to the OS which makes it really nice. Facebook and Twitter updates are nicely integrated. Zune pass is really nice also. I pay 10.00 a month for access to unlimited music. Itunes was killing me!! My kids are constantly asking me to download songs for them on itunes. We all know this can get really expensive. My daughter will be geting a Lumia 900 (99.00 launch price),and since Zune Pass allows up to 5 WinPhones, she will be able to get music without having to break the bank. Folders would be helpful, but I don't think that is a priority, All the games are already placed in the Xbox Folder. I will say it is far from perfect, but it is definitely a contender. The Nokia hardware looks fantastic, and I think anyone that has never owned a smartphone will find it easy to use. By the way, most of the apps are there, and there appears to be a surge in app development. Once companies like Zynga start porting apps, the playing field will be more level.

You have to love competition!!

By the way, I also own an Ipad. I can't wait to see what Windows 8 will bring to the tablet market.

One last thing.. for those that complain about not having Dual Core processors, you are completely out of touch. The OS runs fast and is buttery smooth ( Iphone Like ) with the single core processor. It was designrd to run that way. I recently tried several dual core Android phones and the OS is not even comparable when it comes to responsiveness. The boot up time is also amazing, fastter than both Iphone and Android. I can't wait to see what ICS will bring to the Android platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The UI is derived from the Zune HD. It's pretty obvious, even if you haven't used both the HD and the phone.

Is it horrible? No, it's not, but it lacks a number of things that make it a real pain if you have a lot of apps, er, tiles, and long lists of contacts, for example. These are major problems that MS must fix. Fixing the listing problem can be done without too much difficulty, if they want to.

But fixing the tile problem is much more of a problem because of the way MS intends the OS to be used. The problem is simple, and we had it on iOS and they had it on Android as well. It relates to the number of apps you have, and how to find them. Apple, and later Google fixed the problem by allowing the much requested folders solution. But with tiles supposed to be "live", folders would hide them, which is what MS doesn't want.

We can see how MS expects WPx to be used from their Ads. Get it out, do something quickly, and put it away. They obviously don't think the phone is an object of joy, the way both Android and iOS users find them to be. MS seems to think that using a smartphone is something people dislike doing, so they want you to get it over with as quickly as possible, and the phone OS is oriented towards you doing just that.

This means that they apparently don't expect you to get a lot of apps, just the few you need, not apps you would have fun with. Because of that apparent orientation, there has been no allowance as to what happens if people do get dozens of apps as iOS and now, Android users are doing. So it's scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll. That's what we didn't want to do, but according to MS, it seems as though that's what they want you to do. And then, because tiles look much more alike than icons on Android or iOS, it's easy to scroll past, and have to back up. This ain't good!

I firmly believe that one of the reasons why people seem to have such little interest in WP is because it works the opposite of how they want it to. If you only care about social networking, it seems pretty good. But if you're interested in anything else, it seems pretty bad.

The weak hardware hasn't helped. MS has done a good job of getting the UI working well with the single core, but fast SoC's they're using, but apps don't care how fast the UI is. It will take to the end of the year when MS comes out with Apollo for dual core SoC's to make their debut. Hopefully, that won't be too late.

• Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fbendotti View Post

I pay 10.00 a month for access to unlimited music. Itunes was killing me!!

Yes, because what better way to ensure you actually own your music than to PAY FOR IT FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY instead of once.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, because what better way to ensure you actually own your music than to PAY FOR IT FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY instead of once.

i know. amazing how stories about Windows Phone bring out all the new posters and they always say how great it is. Kinda makes you wonder where all these new posters are coming from....
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fbendotti View Post

I have owned several Iphones.. 1st gen, 3g, 3gs, and have had plenty of use with Iphone 4 and 4s. I have also owned an HTC EVO and several other Android phones. I now have an HTC Titan which is fantastic. Yes it's huge!! The OS is simply amazing. Most people only use 5-10 apps. My main apps are pinned to my start screen. I have about 100 apps installed and the list is easy to navigate, All you have to do is click on the block that highlights the first letter of the app to navigate quickly. You can also voice command to to open the app. What I really love is the integration of features that minimize the apps that you have to go into to get what you want. ( e.g. Local Scount, Bing Vision, ) These features are naticve to the OS which makes it really nice. Facebook and Twitter updates are nicely integrated. Zune pass is really nice also. I pay 10.00 a month for access to unlimited music. Itunes was killing me!! My kids are constantly asking me to download songs for them on itunes. We all know this can get really expensive. My daughter will be geting a Lumia 900 (99.00 launch price),and since Zune Pass allows up to 5 WinPhones, she will be able to get music without having to break the bank. Folders would be helpful, but I don't think that is a priority, All the games are already placed in the Xbox Folder. I will say it is far from perfect, but it is definitely a contender. The Nokia hardware looks fantastic, and I think anyone that has never owned a smartphone will find it easy to use. By the way, most of the apps are there, and there appears to be a surge in app development. Once companies like Zynga start porting apps, the playing field will be more level.

You have to love competition!!

By the way, I also own an Ipad. I can't wait to see what Windows 8 will bring to the tablet market.

One last thing.. for those that complain about not having Dual Core processors, you are completely out of touch. The OS runs fast and is buttery smooth ( Iphone Like ) with the single core processor. It was designrd to run that way. I recently tried several dual core Android phones and the OS is not even comparable when it comes to responsiveness. The boot up time is also amazing, fastter than both Iphone and Android. I can't wait to see what ICS will bring to the Android platform.

You missed the entire post I wrote.

To add this, as I just found it:

http://www.electronista.com/articles....leaked.video/

This supports what I'm saying. Everyone who understands what's going on knows this was bound to happen. Only fanboys defend the single core 800 x 480 Rez screens. When the 900 was just shown with its large, low Rez screen, everyone was wondering what Nokia was thinking.it's an OS limitation.

To explain. WP7 is the same OS as Win Mobile, other than for the UI. It uses CE Rev. 3, whereas Win Mobile went to CE Rev 2. CE only allows one core. There was nothing MS could do about it. It's a weak OS for a modern device. MS knows that too. But it's what they had at the time, and they had to go with it. One core and low Rez wasn't a virtue, as you think, it was a necessity. This is also why they said that unlike with iOS and Android, WP7 wouldn't go on tablets. They didn't give the reason, but it was obvious that WP7 was much too weak for that purpose.

So their murmurings the past couple of months about taking the Win 8 kernel and using that for WP7, renamed as WP8, made sense. Multiple core support, higher resolution support, etc. all needed on a tablet, and also on a modern smartphone.

You can argue all you want, but MS agrees with me, not you.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Windows Phones might not be as bad as Android, but only Apple haters would even consider getting one.

Apple Haters? Are you 12? What the hell is an Apple hater? What do you class people that own Macs and iPods etc, but have no intention of ever getting an iPhone?
  • Reply 36 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

See, that's exactly my point, for you it would be a second choice at best, as would for most people. I don't think that tech enthusiasts willing to spend on a second device are a very large proportion of people, and certainly not enough to make WP7 successful. Most people would go with an iPhone or an Android as their single smartphone.

It would be my second choice in a world without the iPhone* but I think it's a good second choice. I think the ecosystem for Apps is about where the iPhone 3G was about half way through its primary lifescycle.

I've been too busy to buy and test** new phones these days but I'm heavily considering adding a Lumia to my AT&T account. I think it's that good!

While MS and Nokia might be hurting today both these companies can just keep refining and advancing their mobile IP until they can find a hole in the market. That may never come but they aren't like some of these other companies that have a very short window to carve a niche before they go under.

* Yes, I realize that without the iPhone's existence WP7 (and other phone HW and SW) wouldn't be where they are today.

** By test I mean play with.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

While MS and Nokia might be hurting today both these companies can just keep refining and advancing their mobile IP until they can find a hole in the market. That may never come but they aren't like some of these other companies that have a very short window to carve a niche before they go under.

Well, I wish Nokia had done so. They had something good and sold out due to the stupidity of their board. WP7 may be ok, but it doesn't sell and as it seems deservedly so. The "dead phone walking" N9 sells more than the Lumia 800 even without the enormous marketing support.

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12/...hone-struggles
  • Reply 38 of 40
    An interesting article as to why WP7 isn't doing well, and some suggestions as to how it might.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...ing/page2.html
  • Reply 39 of 40
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Quote:

...which would mean that Apple, like Microsoft, "sponsors a lot of innovation".
  • Reply 40 of 40
    I think MSFT is going to do very well in the mobile arena in 2012.

Windows 8 is going to get a massive push from the sheer amount of attention it will get as a result of Phone, Tablets, and PC's getting major OS releases.

I think Windows Phone will chip into android a bit. Not huge, but enough to stay in the game.

I happen to like Windows Phone quite a bit. I think its a sound, intelligent mobile OS that suffers from a lack of support from the public due to poor marketing, and no standout handsets to spearhead the movement.

The Lumia 900 is a great starting point though.