Why does Apple resist Flash Player?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have had an IPhone since last August 2011, after wanting one for years. I came from an Android phone, and I may be going back to it because of the resistance of Apple to allow its subscribers (who own their phones) to have Flash Player. There are many videos(too many to count) that I have been unable to view because of the attitude of Apple not to support this platform or even allow phone users to get it on their phones if they want. How many people world wide have IPhones? Half a billion maybe? Is it right to screw that many customers out of having that feature? Perhaps now that Jobs has passed on, someone at Apple will get their heads out of their butts and allow their customers some choice. Lose the arrogant attitude....
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boblinfoto View Post


    I may be going back to it because of the resistance of Apple to allow its subscribers (who own their phones) to have Flash Player.



    Enjoy. Adobe has ABANDONED FLASH ON MOBILE DEVICES.



    Apple is not "resisting". Apple knows good software when it sees it. Even Adobe has given up on Flash.



    Quote:

    There are many videos(too many to count) that I have been unable to view…



    Uh, which? Where?



    Quote:

    …because of the attitude of Apple not to support this platform or even allow phone users to get it on their phones if they want.



    Again, even Adobe doesn't let you do it anymore, so your attitude is misplaced.



    Quote:

    How many people world wide have IPhones?



    Plenty.



    Quote:

    Half a billion maybe?



    No.



    Quote:

    Is it right to screw that many customers out of having that feature?



    1. Flash is NOT a feature.

    2. None of these people give a crap about Flash at all, as evidenced by the fact that iPhones keep selling in record numbers.

    3. No Android maker advertises Flash in their ads anymore… because they can't get it anymore.



    Quote:

    Perhaps now that Jobs has passed on, someone at Apple will get their heads out of their butts and allow their customers some choice. Lose the arrogant attitude....



    Perhaps now that you know that the creator of Flash has ABANDONED it, you'll get… okay, YOUR head out of your butt and see why Flash was worthless to begin with.



    Honestly, do REALLY you want the choice of putting your face into elephant crap?
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boblinfoto View Post


    I have had an IPhone since last August 2011, after wanting one for years. I came from an Android phone, and I may be going back to it because of the resistance of Apple to allow its subscribers (who own their phones) to have Flash Player. There are many videos(too many to count) that I have been unable to view because of the attitude of Apple not to support this platform or even allow phone users to get it on their phones if they want. How many people world wide have IPhones? Half a billion maybe? Is it right to screw that many customers out of having that feature? Perhaps now that Jobs has passed on, someone at Apple will get their heads out of their butts and allow their customers some choice. Lose the arrogant attitude....



    Apple allows Flash on the iPhone. Get the app called "iSWiFter" and you're good to go if you really want that crap (mostly porn to be quite honest). And as a bonus, iSWiFter is just a VPN with proprietary servers (like Opera but adding Flash), so it won't cause the horrible battery problems otherwise associated with Flash content.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Enjoy. Adobe has ABANDONED FLASH ON MOBILE DEVICES.



    Apple is not "resisting". Apple knows good software when it sees it. Even Adobe has given up on Flash.







    Uh, which? Where?







    Again, even Adobe doesn't let you do it anymore, so your attitude is misplaced.







    Plenty.







    No.







    1. Flash is NOT a feature.

    2. None of these people give a crap about Flash at all, as evidenced by the fact that iPhones keep selling in record numbers.

    3. No Android maker advertises Flash in their ads anymore? because they can't get it anymore.







    Perhaps now that you know that the creator of Flash has ABANDONED it, you'll get? okay, YOUR head out of your butt and see why Flash was worthless to begin with.



    Honestly, do REALLY you want the choice of putting your face into elephant crap?



    Gee, I really feel the love. When I have tried to view certain videos, I get a message that I cannot because I do not have Flash. Sorry I brought it up. Thanks for the frank comments, and as far as I'm concerned you're all showing your superior attitudes to a SIMPLE INQUIRY. Who has their head up their ass?
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boblinfoto View Post


    Gee, I really feel the love. When I have tried to view certain videos, I get a message that I cannot because I do not have Flash. Sorry I brought it up. Thanks for the frank comments, and as far as I'm concerned you're all showing your superior attitudes to a SIMPLE INQUIRY. Who has their head up their ass?



    Yes, there are still some sites that require flash.

    But Flash does not run well on Mobile devices. Even Android devices running on dual core 1Ghtz CPU's could not play Flash without skipping and stuttering to the point of being unusable. (and interactive stuff like games just isn't designed to work with a touch interface.)



    But, as mentioned before, the question is moot since Flash development for mobile platforms has stopped. If you had used the search function, you could have come up with the answer for yourself without having any animosity directed at you. (Yes, it's been hashed to death in more than one thread on this forum and others.)
  • Reply 5 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boblinfoto View Post


    Gee, I really feel the love. When I have tried to view certain videos, I get a message that I cannot because I do not have Flash. Sorry I brought it up. Thanks for the frank comments, and as far as I'm concerned you're all showing your superior attitudes to a SIMPLE INQUIRY. Who has their head up their ass?



    No, what's YOUR problem? You come in claiming Apple is arrogant; they're not. Arrogance is wanting your users to have a device with usable battery life? Arrogance is not wanting your devices to crash? Adobe made a version of Flash for iOS. They showed it to Apple, Apple told them to make it better, and they didn't.



    There will be an equal number of videos you can't view on Android, so switching is pointless.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by boblinfoto

    Gee, I really feel the love. When I have tried to view certain videos, I get a message that I cannot because I do not have Flash. Sorry I brought it up. Thanks for the frank comments, and as far as I'm concerned you're all showing your superior attitudes to a SIMPLE INQUIRY. Who has their head up their ass?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    No, what's YOUR problem? You come in claiming Apple is arrogant; they're not. Arrogance is wanting your users to have a device with usable battery life? Arrogance is not wanting your devices to crash? Adobe made a version of Flash for iOS. They showed it to Apple, Apple told them to make it better, and they didn't.



    There will be an equal number of videos you can't view on Android, so switching is pointless.



    An excellent example of Apple fanboi arrogance. Small wonder you don't 'see' Apple's arrogance. You wouldn't know arrogance if it bit you in the ass. Just about every post here is met by you with that same standard fanboi arrogance: Apple is God, Apple is perfect, Apple never does anything wrong. And if you dare criticize Apple you're an asshole.



    That attitude says even more about you than about Apple.



    Meanwhile Apple is of course not one iota different than all other large American corporations: arrogant to the core, and milking ? a.k.a. exploiting ? their customers for what it's worth with their 'walled garden'.



    See you next time!
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Showtime View Post


    Just about every post here is met by you with that same standard fanboi arrogance: Apple is God, Apple is perfect, Apple never does anything wrong. And if you dare criticize Apple you're an asshole.



    It's a crying shame that you're completely and utterly wrong. It certainly sounds like you think you know what you're talking about, so I hate to put a damper on your anti-Apple brigade party.



    Quote:

    Meanwhile Apple is of course not one iota different than all other large American corporations: arrogant to the core, and milking ? a.k.a. exploiting ? their customers for what it's worth with their 'walled garden'.



    If this fallacy is what you believe, why are you even here? When Adobe itself has given up on Flash because they can't make it good enough to be usable, how is this arrogance on Apple's part? Or maybe you think that Apple should have offered to improve the code for them. Or maybe you think that having software that actually works inset important and Apple should have just included Flash as-is and given people a terrible experience.



    Seriously, what's your actual position on this matter? The only thing you've done is accuse me of being something I'm blindingly not, so there's not a whole lot of substance in this post.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    It's a crying shame that you're completely and utterly wrong. It certainly sounds like you think you know what you're talking about, so I hate to put a damper on your anti-Apple brigade party.







    If this fallacy is what you believe, why are you even here? When Adobe itself has given up on Flash because they can't make it good enough to be usable, how is this arrogance on Apple's part? Or maybe you think that Apple should have offered to improve the code for them. Or maybe you think that having software that actually works inset important and Apple should have just included Flash as-is and given people a terrible experience.



    Seriously, what's your actual position on this matter? The only thing you've done is accuse me of being something I'm blindingly not, so there's not a whole lot of substance in this post.



    Like I said: "You wouldn't know arrogance if it bit you in the ass.", which you demonstrated once again at the earliest opportunity.



    You would be real popular among your friends. If you had them.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Showtime View Post


    Like I said: "You wouldn't know arrogance if it bit you in the ass.", which you demonstrated once again at the earliest opportunity.



    You would be real popular among your friends. If you had them.



    I'd like a honest answer, here: Why can't you seem to answer any of the questions Ive posed or counter any of the things I've said?



    If I'm short about this topic, it's due to the innumerable times we've been over it to the same ends. Also, it's because I'm confused (meaning upset and somewhat biased against) at Adobe's attitude toward their customers.



    I'm going to let those random insults stand simply becuses of how humorous they are. I just don't get it. I pose a rebuttal to an argument and the only thing that anyone ever does is attack me, not the points I've made. Common sense would tell you that's because there's no further rebuttal and I'm right, but no one ever lets on to that.



    So I would like an answer. How is disallowing Flash arrogance on the part of Apple?
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I'd like a honest answer, here: Why can't you seem to answer any of the questions Ive posed or counter any of the things I've said?



    If I'm short about this topic, it's due to the innumerable times we've been over it to the same ends. Also, it's because I'm confused (meaning upset and somewhat biased against) at Adobe's attitude toward their customers.



    I'm going to let those random insults stand simply becuses of how humorous they are. I just don't get it. I pose a rebuttal to an argument and the only thing that anyone ever does is attack me, not the points I've made. Common sense would tell you that's because there's no further rebuttal and I'm right, but no one ever lets on to that.



    So I would like an answer. How is disallowing Flash arrogance on the part of Apple?



    You don't really expect a logical and reasoned answer from someone who shows that much immaturity, do you?
  • Reply 11 of 71
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    At any rate, juvenile trolling notwithstanding, the answer to the question "Why doesn't Apple support Flash on their mobile devices?" is "Compared to what?"



    The fact is that there were ever only a handful of mobile devices powerful enough to run mobile Flash with anything approaching acceptable performance, and even on those the battery hit was pretty grim. For everything else, Flash performance was atrocious to non-existant.



    You always got the impression from Flash fans that there were all these other phones that ran Flash just fine and that Apple was inexplicably withholding this common functionality, but that was never true. It was always about this theoretical future where Adobe finally got mobile Flash sorted out and every phone had quad-core multi-Ghz processors and magic battery tech.



    And then before that future ever arrived Adobe gave up, so the whole thing's moot. Flash is a legacy technology, being deprecated before our very eyes. Apple wasn't being arrogant, they were being prescient.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    You don't really expect a logical and reasoned answer from someone who shows that much immaturity, do you?



    I guess not. Knowing is half the battle, however.



    Grow up, and then you can respond.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    I guess not. Knowing is half the battle, however.



    Grow up, and then you can respond.




    Is that comment directed at me?
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Is that comment directed at me?



    Guess.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I don't know if attacking this guy is the answer. Every family member, friend and stranger that I know or met who own a iPad are still not happy with Apples decision to disclude Flash. There's a still plenty of sites that use flash. Check this site out www.audiotool.com/app. , on your Mac of course. Bitchin site that's 100% flash, better then most instable apps.



    Oh and it's simply not true that Flash doesn't perform well on a dual core 1ghz Android tablet. I have a Asus Slider and it runs just fine actually better then fine. I watch TV shows all the time that are streamed with Flash and they run perfectly well, in 720p. Battery life is a small problem but not that extreme, I can watch three 2 hour movies and 2 30 minute TV shows on my Asus Slider before have to recharge, I know because I just did it two weeks ago when I traveled from Zurich to New York.



    I think some of you guys are a little to pro Apple. It's just a friggen computer, Apple doesn't have to be the best at everything. I swear every time Apple doesn't support something and someone makes a comment like why not, most of you jump on said person with answers like, "oh it's a dead codec or language who needs it". I do and so do a lot of other people.



    I made the mistake on this site not to long ago when I got upset that my iPad didn't support DIVX. I got flamed big time. Logicaly you know the only reason why Apple doesn't support Flash or DIVX is because they want you to purchase TV shows and movies from iTunes. That's it, no other reason, not because Flash is old or has problems. Look if Apple really cared they would let the consumer decide what is not good for them. How much do you spend on TV shows from Apple when you can just stream them for free and legal from NBC, CBS, Comedy Central, Hulu, ect, Oh but they all use flash sorry iPad users, break out your credit cards.



    If Flash really sucked so much then sites like Hulu would stop using it. They don't because its still a viable solution for streaming video. Yes there is a app for iPad but you to have a subsription to use it 7.99 a month. Oh and Adobe didn't give up on Flash just the mobile version. Which was only available on Android and they keep releasing security updates for it so its not that dead. The desktop version is still alive and kicking with a new Flash dev kit just released in Adobes web design suite.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    Guess.



    I guess it wasn't meant for me. Nobody could be that stupid to attack me for absolutely no reason at all.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    I don't know if attacking this guy is the answer. Every family member, friend and stranger that I know or met who own a iPad are still not happy with Apples decision to disclude Flash. There's a still plenty of sites that use flash. Check this site out www.audiotool.com/app. , on your Mac of course. Bitchin site that's 100% flash, better then most instable apps.




    That really doesn't ring true. People have had 2 years to decide the iPad's fate and sales for the last quarter were over the top. Dissatisfaction with the iPad is a non-issue. [Same with the iPhone.]



    Flash is dead.



    In 3 years time this won't even be discussed anymore. Flash will be a non-issue.



    [oh... and by the way... I've asked the same question amongst friends, family and workmates... the most common answer, "What's Flash?".]
  • Reply 18 of 71
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,132member
    Folks



    Let's clean up this thread. Stop the personal attacks please. You may like like Tallest Skils bedside manner but he's correct. Flash on mobile devices is dead.



    I think Apple clearly articulated why Flash wasn't good for mobile and I'm noticing the Microsoft is championing a "plugin free web"



    Enjoy your weekend ....and smile people.



    :-)
  • Reply 19 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    That really doesn't ring true. People have had 2 years to decide the iPad's fate and sales for the last quarter were over the top. Dissatisfaction with the iPad is a non-issue.



    Flash is dead.



    In 3 years time this won't even be discussed anymore. Flash will be a non-issue.



    Right 3 years from now but right now and when Apple released the iPad two years ago, Flash was still the top internet video streaming plugin. You don't notice it because you have apps that have taken over that reponsibility and Youtube supports iPad. If you go on to Youtube without a iPad though it still streams using Flash and so does everyone else or mostly everyone who streams TV shows or movies anyway.



    Fine Flash is dead but someone forgot to tell a lot of people because I keep running into sites tht need it.



    Right now some video streaming sites are accomidating iPad users because they have to but go to that same site on any other computer and it will be flash and everyone here is ok with that.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Ok look I agree Flash is dead but right now I'm watching The Mentalist and the site it's being streamed from http://zattoo.com , Switzerlands number one online live TV site never got that memo and their not the only one. So could someone please resend that, thanks. Untill then I am happy that I still have Flash.
Sign In or Register to comment.