Google adds 'Bouncer' malware detector layer to Android Market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lockheimer also pointed out several security features built into Android that make malware less disruptive. For instance, Android uses a "sandboxing" technique to put up virtual walls between applications and other software. It also offers a permission system that informs users on the capabilities of new apps. Lastly, Android Market is capable of remotely removing malware from devices.

Soooo, it's gaining features long available on the iPhone? Good to know that Google put security & stability last in their development timeline.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

What, have you never checked for monsters under the bed to placate a sleepless child?

Yes, I do run scripts (it's Python, not Pyhton, and is only one of many languages I use) -- what's your problem with that? That's hardly the only reason to prefer Android, but it is both a stark difference in philosophy and something that is a possible security threat, so I found that example appropriate in the context. Could your response have been any less mature?

Mature? You come to a site about apple products and spout off how your stuff is better. Then question someone else's maturity? Don't you have some scripts to run? Or maybe root your phone again - just because you can?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Soooo, it's gaining features long available on the iPhone? Good to know that Google put security & stability last in their development timeline.

Those two features have been there all along AFAIK.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

No only a malicious app that was downloaded from the market

How are these "rogue apps" identified and who identifies them as rogue?

And who "allows" Google to delete them?

Is any customer action required or can they do it because they (Google) want to with no customer action?

What's to prevent them from identifying everything as a rogue app and deleting it from all devices?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Heh. I love how Android users think they have sooooo much more freedom than what Apple offers. You don't really. Of if you do, it's by a tiny degree. It's just everyone buying into all the "free and open" marketing memes. The proof is the simple fact that jailbreaking/rooting is just as popular with Android users as it is with iOS users. If Android represented all this freedom and not being walled in as you claim, why all the rooting? And why have some OEMs been making it more difficult to root these devices? That doesn't sound very free to me.

See, you're in a walled garden too. You just don't want to see it.

Wasn't aware of that. Bravo, then. Android finally caught up with iPhone 1.

Rooting? Because I choose to...OEM locking bootloaders? Avoid that OEM...I'll stick with Samsung or HTC or get a Nexus device like most people should. I have that choice...
  • Reply 26 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I'll stick with Samsung or HTC or get a Nexus device like most people should.

Why should "most people" stick with Samsung, HTC, Google, Nexus?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Bouncer? So that would make their marketplace... a seedy nightclub?
  • Reply 28 of 28
    marcusj0015marcusj0015 Posts: 200member

Why does Google flat out REFUSE to put in an App check in process? That's fucking retarded, and I will NEVER run a fucking anti-virus on my Phone, untill Android dosen't nessicate that, it won't even be an option. (Not that it's much of an option already.)