Apple seen taking 5% of HDTV market, earning $17B in revenue

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Doing so (rationalizing the TV industry) would be worth billions in revenues.

Doing so may cost billions in CAPEX.

That $97B can drop in a hurry.

Sure, the market could be worth billions. I wouldn't even be worth a look for Apple if it wasn't.

But you're not going to convince me that Apple could spend $97b in any kind of hurry, not responsibly, and not especially if the cash hoard grows at the current, accelerating rate. That rate could take the hoard to $150b in another year. Funny how we've been having this debate ever since Apple's cash reserves were at $25b, just a few years ago. They still can't parcel out any of it to the stockholders because...?
  • Reply 122 of 124
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sure, the market could be worth billions. I wouldn't even be worth a look for Apple if it wasn't.

But you're not going to convince me that Apple could spend $97b in any kind of hurry, not responsibly, and not especially if the cash hoard grows at the current, accelerating rate. That rate could take the hoard to $150b in another year. Funny how we've been having this debate ever since Apple's cash reserves were at $25b, just a few years ago. They still can't parcel out any of it to the stockholders because...?

Is AAPL in a fight with GOOG? Is MSFT of relevance?

If so then:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...rm+investments

With $97B can Apple afford dividends? Sure. Does it need to provide dividends? No.

Can AAPL responsibly spend billions in CAPEX? Define responsibly.

Are the management of VZW, AT&T, COMCAST irresponsible? No. Their business segment requires the expenditure of massive CAPEX to remain competitive.

Could AAPL need to spend billions of CAPEX to "rationalize the television industry" in order to capture billions of revenue in return? Given that the major last mile players and the major content producers spend huge amounts of money then the answer is possibly, perhaps even likely.

Would have been responsible for AAPL to spend $20B out of $25B in an attempt to rationalize the TV industry? Hell no.

Is a $20B bet out of $150B responsible? It's a huge gamble but not one that is excessive in comparison to either current resources or what might be gained. Google bid $4.6B on spectrum without the intention to actually win.
  • Reply 123 of 124
    You haven't addressed the question, possibly because the scale of Apple's cash holdings and the rate their free cash flow is accelerating hasn't quite computed for you. Nobody who invests in AAPL wants to see them "bet" a very large part of their cash mountain on some random business. That capital investment then gets turned into a part of their business that has to show a return. If it doesn't, it's more like the random investments that Microsoft has made, particularly in the '90s when it seems they figured that they could bet on every horse. I don't want to see Apple do that, and I don't actually think they will. I just get really queasy when someone poses it as some sort of good idea.
  • Reply 124 of 124
    Just offering an Atv app store is the biggest missing piece. Put in an a6 with updated power gpu and you have a monster games 'console' capability build right into the tiny atv box. That and a giant iPad.

I can't wait to see how this whole Apple TV thing pans out. The Atv box reminds me of the moto rokkkrRRRR phone that Apple did while they were learning how to build an iPhone. Likewise, the atv box and itunes eco system has been feeling up the market.

With all the pieces separately in place...it's only a matter of time before Apple, master of integration and interface put it all together. The glaring omission of the App store from the ATV ( a machine that millions in the last year?) tells me they're still working on it.

I'm very interested in the next iPad and ATV. (Whether that is an ATV tv set is irrelevant...having just purchased a Panasonic 50 inch plasma. Be nice to hook up a decent 'smart' interface to it. Both the SOny PS3 and Panasonics 'smart' options are rubbish. Crap interface after thoughts and so cludgey it's untrue.)

Apple could well just pipe in your cable subs into a better ATV/iPad interface.

Lemon Bon Bon.