Apple employee says upcoming iPad 3 to have "truly amazing" screen

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I want a DE-9 port for my Mac Plus mouse, damned if I'm wasting money on a new mouse when the old one works fine.

SCSI rulez... Nothing like carring those large, clumsy 9-pound cables in your kit... AIR, a SCSi terminator weighs more than iPad.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,179member
    Deleted- - -
  • Reply 63 of 84
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I am a shallow dickhead without any technological knowledge whatsoever and my devices must look different, otherwise I will just declare it to be a miniscule upgrade, and not worth getting.

I agree but at least he admits it.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A variety of efforts to duplicate Apple's success with iPad have failed, ranging from Microsoft's decade long Tablet PC

the way this is written, its like you think MS was copying Apple with a product that was released ~10years before the ipad.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darrylk1 View Post

Hmmm... iPad 3D?

Shh . . . ! Let seeping dogs lie. Anyway, probably not this one, but the next one, in the Fall.

But if it IS this one, you win the prize.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

WOT...

I just wanted to post this somewhere today...

Ayn rocked it like nobody's business.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

WOT...

I just wanted to post this somewhere today...

Funny, I was just thinking today how badly served we were by our last Fed chairman, the Objectivist who saw insane loosening of the financial ties-that-bind as only "irrational exhuberance."

Objectivists can recognize evil in social ties, but they see no good. They only use half their brains, the left hemisphere.

Back on topic, we are beginning to live in right-brain times -- again. (That's why there's a current reactionary revival of Ayn Rand-ism.) The new iPad screen is going to finish off the reign of the left brain that came in with the printed book.

The visual intensity of this new screen, moving pictures of ungodly clarity held in your hands, will turn everyone susceptible into "seers."

Hemispheric imbalance explains why Applephobic haters seem to be immune to the charms of the iPhone or the iPad. Their Aspergerish left brains do not want to lose control, to allow their sleeping right brains to be seduced into wakefulness. Ayn Rand would have been stuck with her PC still.

Edit: I see SpamSandwich anticipated with a different view, above.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I agree but at least he admits it.

Why yes sir, you are a regular comedic genius.

And yes, I can certainly be a dick when needed, but I am a dick who knows what they are talking about most of the time. I can also be a nice guy when needed, but nice guys usually don't get too far in life, so it is useful to be able to resort to dick mode when the situation demands it.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    I'm gonna go with the crowd that thinks the new iPad HAS to have a higher-res screen.

I'd rather read on my iPhone than the iPad these days ... the retina display is just that much easier to read on, even at the smaller size!
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

So, my assumption is that iOS wasn't designed for this kind of multi-threaded environment. And certainly no current apps can take advantage. Now maybe I am wrong about the way iOS is written, but it would seem to me that you would need an iOS update to come with a processor core change in order to take advantage, but as I said, I could be wrong.

iOS is fully multi-threaded and multi-tasking. Don't let the haters/fandroids convince you otherwise with their "at least Android has real multitasking" comments.

The only difference with iOS is Apple does not want Apps to have the ability to run continually in the background and so they have limited this in iOS. It's simply a decision on Apple's part and has nothing to do with iOS having an inferior architecture to Android or (like I've see some people suggest) that iOS is like old versions of Windows with cooperative multitasking. If Apple wanted to, they could implement multitasking Apps quite easily.

In fact, Android doesn't even have "true" multitasking, as the fandroids like to claim.

As to running on 4 cores vs 2, they would have to update iOS but I don;t think it would be a huge issue to do so.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

The only difference with iOS is Apple does not want Apps to have the ability to run continually in the background and so they have limited this in iOS.

I think that it depends on the particular app, because I am able to run certain music apps at the same time. I can open a drum machine, start a beat and then close the app while the beat keeps playing. Then after that I can open up a synth app and start playing along to the beat which is still playing in the background from the other app.

I can also still keep talking on Skype when I switch to certain another apps.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    I was all in anyway but 5GHz N and LTE would be bonus. Make it so.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that it depends on the particular app, because I am able to run certain music apps at the same time. I can open a drum machine, start a beat and then close the app while the beat keeps playing. Then after that I can open up a synth app and start playing along to the beat which is still playing in the background from the other app.

I can also still keep talking on Skype when I switch to certain another apps.

In order to allow Apps to perform background tasks Apple developed a set of services. Apps can call these services and request that certain specific tasks run in the background as opposed to the entire App running. This allows things like e-mail programs to finish sending e-mails or push notifications to get through.

Background audio and Voice over IP are two of these services, so it explains your music apps and Skype continuing to work.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A variety of efforts to duplicate Apple's success with iPad have failed, ranging from Microsoft's decade long Tablet PC, its 2006 Origami / UMPC project lead by Samsung, its 2010 Windows 7 Slate PC it partnered with HP to launch, HP's own Palm webOS based tablet last year alongside RIM's PlayBook and Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb disaster, as well as third party attempts to turn Android 2.x smartphones into tablet-like devices.

This is really bad - even for AI.

How in the world did a product release a year ago attempt to duplicate a product released 2 years ago?
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Maybe a larger display? I think the iPad 2 display is too small and I wouldn't mind something like a 12" display or a larger sized device, it sure would make the web browsing experience much better. Maybe something the size of a 13" - 15" MacBook Pro which would be much larger than the current model. The tiny screen of the iPad doesn't seem much better than my iPhone for web browsing, I still use my MacBooks and Desktops for web browsing anyways.

Really? Are you talking serious here?
  • Reply 76 of 84
    Most people want new shape just for others to notice that they have "the latest one".

It's all about vanity.

The only thing that should be improved is weight.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    See, all this talk about the screen and rumors of going HiDPI for the other systems makes me wonder if Apple will finally give in and increase the screen size of the next iPhone (avoiding dead horse beating 101 folks). Apple is already above the level required for their Retina identification, so if they did increase the screensize, what resolution would they use? Would they maintain the same 3:2 ratio or move to a widescreen format?

Here is a bit of data I worked up keeping the same 3:2 ratios they currently have:

960x640 3.5" 329.65ppi

1200x800 4" 360.56ppi

1440x960 4" 432.67ppi

1920x1280 4" 576.89ppi

Those DPI counts just get stupid and the only one that would allow for easy pixel doubling is the 1920x1280
  • Reply 78 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You'd need a little over 14 iPhone displays to equal the display area of one 13" MBP display.
    3.5" 3:2(1.5) = 5.65"sq (2.9" x 1.9")

9.7" 4:3(1.33) = 45.19"sq (7.8"\tx 5.8")

13.3" 16:10(1.60) = 79.5"sq (11.3" x 7")
    PS: You want me to figure out my iPhones can fit inside a box of Total?

And how many iPhones can you fit into a VW?
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

See, all this talk about the screen and rumors of going HiDPI for the other systems makes me wonder if Apple will finally give in and increase the screen size of the next iPhone (avoiding dead horse beating 101 folks). Apple is already above the level required for their Retina identification, so if they did increase the screensize, what resolution would they use? Would they maintain the same 3:2 ratio or move to a widescreen format?

Here is a bit of data I worked up keeping the same 3:2 ratios they currently have:

960x640 3.5" 329.65ppi

1200x800 4" 360.56ppi

1440x960 4" 432.67ppi

1920x1280 4" 576.89ppi

Those DPI counts just get stupid and the only one that would allow for easy pixel doubling is the 1920x1280

Maintaining 3:2 ratio is not the only important consideration.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It will likely be years, like more than 20, before the USB dies. USB is much more than a port to connect a printer.

Nothing takes 20 years any more. Thunderbolt will be the preferred connector in 5 years I predict, and USB will still be on motherboards for backwards compatibility but hardly anyone will use it (at least for new stuff).