2%-3% dividend suggested as best use of Apple's $100B in cash

Comments

• Reply 201 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am in general agreement with this!

Though... I read somewhere, after the last earnings call, that Apple Apple has provided for the taxes to repatriate some overseas $ in their earnings.

It may be that Apple will do this going forward -- as a cost of doing business.

I wonder how much of it is in AUD ~ One of the best, if not, the best interest rates for savings in the G20 world.

Of course, if you're Apple, you'd be getting more than the retail ~5% cash interest rate.
  • Reply 202 of 226
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syracuse View Post

How about we arm wrestle? LOL

Seriously, you really need to calm down.

I decided to check out some of your previous 3000+ posts. You must feel very alone since EVERYONE else is SO WRONG.

Poor jragosta

Long AAPL and all is good in my world.

Better yet, how about if you provide some evidence to back up your assertions or stop making stupid, unfounded assertions?
  • Reply 203 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Indeed. The charade is plain for all to see. Hard to imagine just 10 years ago a lot more of us believed the nonsense these people spew out.

Hmm, let's see. Apple has $100 billion dollars. Apple is highly successful. Tons of people want to buy Apple shares. Apple doesn't need to raise any further funding for the forseeable future, unless it wants to become a $1 trillion dollar bank or buy out a country or two.

So, given the above, APPLE IS GOING TO VOLUNTARILY START GIVING OUT MONEY TO EVERY JOE AND JANE BLOGGS????

WHAT THE FUCK, MAN. THE FINANCIAL INDUSTRY IS THE MOST CORRUPT AND DECREPIT IN THE WORLD.

This is absolutely disgraceful.

Disgraceful? A bit passionate, are we?
  • Reply 204 of 226
    Quote:

How about we arm wrestle? LOL

Seriously, you really need to calm down.

I decided to check out some of your previous 3000+ posts. You must feel very alone since EVERYONE else is SO WRONG.

Poor jragosta

Long AAPL and all is good in my world.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Better yet, how about if you provide some evidence to back up your assertions or stop making stupid, unfounded assertions?

And you two continue to have so much time for each other
  • Reply 205 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

And you two continue to have so much time for each other

And you continue to have so much time that you keep commenting on a discussion that you're not even part of. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.
  • Reply 206 of 226
    Quote:

And you continue to have so much time that you keep commenting on a discussion that you're not even part of. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Not sure I'd agree to having committed hypocrisy. You'd be right if I am chastising you for wasting time. But I'm not. Just observing. Furthermore, I'm not taking nearly the time you two are, *debating* each other point by point.

But you're right. Time to return to doing real work.
  • Reply 207 of 226

No time to hack through all 27 pages of comments

So please forgive any potential redundancy

Before considering this dividend proposal

Answer simple question(s) ...

Of that $75 Billion (whatever)

Who would 'Spend It More Wisely' ?

Stock Holder/Broker/Institutional Types ?

Or Apple ?

• Reply 208 of 226
    First, regarding all the back-and-forth on this thread: http://xkcd.com/386/

Second, does anyone know of a way to profit from Apple not announcing a dividend on this next earnings call? I already own AAPL. Besides shorting the stock, which I think is a dick move, is there a legitimate way of specifically betting against people who say Apple will offer a dividend?
  • Reply 209 of 226
    Apple used to pay me a dividend until 1995 12 cents per quarter stock price around $20 as I recall. For me re-insitution of a dividend would be beneficial rewarding loyal investors and opening AAPL to the world's largest class of investors DIVIDEND investors creating much greater demand for the stock. Share buyback programs and/or a 10 for 1 stock split

such as BIDU did a couple of years ago shot values up dramatically. BIDU I bought for $200 per share 3 years ago split adjusted is now worth $1400 per my original share.Odds are great Apple would follow a similar trajectory as it is much safer and earns way more than BIDU.

With the cash they have they could easily do all ofthe above plus add some stock swap aquisitions of good compnies such as IDCC owner of 2000 4G quality patents and a stable of attorneys to defend thier intellectual property and or ARMH best new chip company would make a tremendous amout of sense.
  • Reply 210 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

Second, does anyone know of a way to profit from Apple not announcing a dividend on this next earnings call? I already own AAPL. Besides shorting the stock, which I think is a dick move, is there a legitimate way of specifically betting against people who say Apple will offer a dividend?

Sure. Contact your local bookie to see if they have a line on the odds of Apple offering a dividend.

Other than that, in the stock market, you either bet on the stock going up or going down. There is no way to use the stock market to bet on one specific action.

Fundamentally, if Apple offers a dividend, the stock might go up or it might go down (in the short run, it would certainly drop by the amount of the dividend on the ex dividend date, so you have to keep that in mind). if Apple doesn't offer a dividend, the stock might go up and it might go down. You can't tie the two together, except in retrospect.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aportfoliodoctor.com View Post

Apple used to pay me a dividend until 1995 12 cents per quarter stock price around $20 as I recall. For me re-insitution of a dividend would be beneficial rewarding loyal investors and opening AAPL to the world's largest class of investors DIVIDEND investors creating much greater demand for the stock. Share buyback programs and/or a 10 for 1 stock split

such as BIDU did a couple of years ago shot values up dramatically. BIDU I bought for $200 per share 3 years ago split adjusted is now worth $1400 per my original share.Odds are great Apple would follow a similar trajectory as it is much safer and earns way more than BIDU.

With the cash they have they could easily do all ofthe above plus add some stock swap aquisitions of good compnies such as IDCC owner of 2000 4G quality patents and a stable of attorneys to defend thier intellectual property and or ARMH best new chip company would make a tremendous amout of sense.

And, as has been pointed out relentlessly, Apple's board has decided that a dividend is NOT going to help share price - at least as of today. Warren Buffett does not believe that dividends help share prices for well-run companies.

The board knows more about their plans and needs than you do. I'll just rely on the board's decision as to if and when to offer a dividend. If you don't trust the board, perhaps you shouldn't own Apple stock.
  • Reply 211 of 226
    Quote:

Sure. Contact your local bookie to see if they have a line on the odds of Apple offering a dividend.

Other than that, in the stock market, you either bet on the stock going up or going down. There is no way to use the stock market to bet on one specific action.

Fundamentally, if Apple offers a dividend, the stock might go up or it might go down (in the short run, it would certainly drop by the amount of the dividend on the ex dividend date, so you have to keep that in mind). if Apple doesn't offer a dividend, the stock might go up and it might go down. You can't tie the two together, except in retrospect.

And, as has been pointed out relentlessly, Apple's board has decided that a dividend is NOT going to help share price - at least as of today. Warren Buffett does not believe that dividends help share prices for well-run companies.

The board knows more about their plans and needs than you do. I'll just rely on the board's decision as to if and when to offer a dividend. If you don't trust the board, perhaps you shouldn't own Apple stock.

The Warren Buffet comment is a bit disingenuous.

Berkshire Hathaway's 15 largest public stock holdings all pay dividends, that indicates to me that they like receiving dividends. Berkshire Hathaway, a financial holding company, doesn't pay out a dividends since Warren is the "World's Greatest Allocator" of capital.

Berkshire Hathaway has recently instituted a share buyback with their large cash position.

So Warren Buffett, the investor, likes dividends.
  • Reply 212 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Disgraceful? A bit passionate, are we?

Yeah toning down now, after blowing my top on the China iPad thing.
  • Reply 213 of 226
    Quote:

The Warren Buffet comment is a bit disingenuous.

Berkshire Hathaway's 15 largest public stock holdings all pay dividends, that indicates to me that they like receiving dividends. Berkshire Hathaway, a financial holding company, doesn't pay out a dividends since Warren is the "World's Greatest Allocator" of capital.

Berkshire Hathaway has recently instituted a share buyback with their large cash position.

So Warren Buffett, the investor, likes dividends.

First, your facts are wrong. Not all of his top 15 holders pay dividends. If you want to discuss things, please stick to facts, not your delusions:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin...end-obsession/

And it's not surprising that he wants SOME dividend-paying stocks in his portfolio. His salary is tiny. A smart investor will have a range of investments - both income generating and non-income generating. The fact that he considers SOME companies to be OK with dividends does not mean that he thinks it's a great idea. if you read his writings, it is clear that he thinks dividends are appropriate for an established company in a mature industry that has nothing better to do with its cash. That clearly does not apply to Apple.

Second, from the same article:

[/QUOTE]Most likely for tax reasons, Buffett is a stock buyback man. If you would like to read a great explanation of why you should consider Berkshire?s share repurchases as a valuable tax-free dividend, please read my colleague Bill Baldwin?s article, ?Berkshire?s Clever Tax-Free Dividend.?[/QUOTE]

So Buffett is agreeing with me. If you feel that you must give away cash, do it in the form of share buybacks rather than dividends.

Third, Berkshire Hathaway investing in dividend-paying stocks is different than an individual doing so. They can exclude 70% of the dividends from taxes:

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/...boa-dividends/

Fourth, Buffett has specifically stated that Berkshire Hathaway will not pay dividends when he is alive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL766NK2ynw

Keep in mind that he has no control over what other companies do (including those he invests in), but he does control what BH does - and actions speak very loudly.

Bottom line is that if you're going to use an appeal to authority as your argument, you ought to understand what that authority's position is.
  • Reply 214 of 226
    jragosta, You are the king of the "straw man" argument.

Tedious and pedantic, you'll even TWIST/SPIN Warren Buffett's investing style to suit your arguments.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33608379/Berk...dings?slide=16

OK, 14 of 15 of his LARGEST holdings pay dividends.

The point is Warren Buffett, the investor, makes a point to invest in dividend paying stocks.

Investors benefit from dividend payments and stock buybacks. Why don't you understand this simple concept?
  • Reply 215 of 226
    jragosta, any comments on this point from Ben Reitzes analysis:

The sixth and final potential catalyst laid out by Reitzes was a hypothetical "return cash to shareholders" policy, which he believes would be a strong use of the nearly $100 billion in cash and investments being held by Apple. He noted that with that much cash, Apple is "running out of realistic excuses for hoarding so much," and he believes that investors are already beginning to price into AAPL stock the expectation of a dividend as soon as the upcoming shareholders' meeting on Feb. 23.

"We continue to believe Apple has the ability to easily pay a dividend with a significant yield (2-3% range) along with the ability to grow it over time," he said. "Furthermore, we believe consistent buybacks would be a better option than an accelerated buyback or a special dividend.

"We believe that Apple has recently sounded much more open in its propensity to offer a dividend and its Board likely realizes its potential value. We believe a dividend could be instated by calendar year end."
  • Reply 216 of 226
    Third, Berkshire Hathaway investing in dividend-paying stocks is different than an individual doing so. They can exclude 70% of the dividends from taxes:

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/...boa-dividends/

HA HA read the article CLOWN

Buffett discredited the statement "They can exclude 70% of the dividends from taxes."

Even your attachments disagree with you
  • Reply 217 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

If you STRONGLY think/feel AAPL may decline sharply after the annual meeting, you may want to look into buying short-dated PUT options on AAPL.

Talk to your Financial Advisor and see if its appropriate for you.
  • Reply 218 of 226
    Quote:

jragosta, any comments on this point from Ben Reitzes analysis:

The sixth and final potential catalyst laid out by Reitzes was a hypothetical "return cash to shareholders" policy, which he believes would be a strong use of the nearly $100 billion in cash and investments being held by Apple. He noted that with that much cash, Apple is "running out of realistic excuses for hoarding so much," and he believes that investors are already beginning to price into AAPL stock the expectation of a dividend as soon as the upcoming shareholders' meeting on Feb. 23.

"We continue to believe Apple has the ability to easily pay a dividend with a significant yield (2-3% range) along with the ability to grow it over time," he said. "Furthermore, we believe consistent buybacks would be a better option than an accelerated buyback or a special dividend.

"We believe that Apple has recently sounded much more open in its propensity to offer a dividend and its Board likely realizes its potential value. We believe a dividend could be instated by calendar year end."

Who the heck is Ben Reitz and why should anyone care what he says? Last time I checked, shareholders put a Board in place to run Apple, not Ben Reitz.

Quote:

jragosta, You are the king of the "straw man" argument.

Tedious and pedantic, you'll even TWIST/SPIN Warren Buffett's investing style to suit your arguments.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33608379/Berk...dings?slide=16

OK, 14 of 15 of his LARGEST holdings pay dividends.

Says who? You?

I provided an article from Fortune magazine that shows which of the stocks pay dividends. I'll rely on that rather than your opinion as to which stocks pay dividends. Funny that you have to rely on a picture show as evidence, though.

Regardless, you were wrong when you said that ALL of Buffett's top holdings paid dividends.

Quote:

The point is Warren Buffett, the investor, makes a point to invest in dividend paying stocks.

Not at all true. Buffett has made his view clear. He may invest in companies IN SPITE OF their paying dividends, but there's absolutely nothing suggesting that he invests in companies BECAUSE they pay dividends. His own statements suggest that he does not.

The only company that Buffett controls is Berkshire Hathaway. BH does not pay dividends. THAT is an indication of Buffett's view on dividends. Since he has no control over the rest of the planet, whether other companies pay dividends or not is irrelevant.

Quote:

Investors benefit from dividend payments and stock buybacks. Why don't you understand this simple concept?

Because it's wrong.

For the past decade, Microsoft has paid dividends. Apple has not. (Neither one has done a major stock buyback, AFAIK). So if your statement were correct, Microsoft investors should have benefited more than Apple investors. The reality is quite different. Let's use the last 5 years:

February, 2007

Microsoft 29.5

Apple 90

February 2012

Microsoft 30.3

Apple 523

So which investors benefited the most?

Clearly, the value of a share price is NOT determined by dividends or buybacks. There is absolutely no evidence to support your statement - and plenty of counter evidence.

Once again, Apple's Board and management have been given the responsibility to set policies by the shareholders. They have done pretty well without your "expertise".
  • Reply 219 of 226
    jragosta,

So I can conclude that if Apple's Board institute's an annual dividend and stock buyback, you will be a seller of AAPL stock, since you believe so strongly that Apple will follow Microsofts path.

"I know Apple Sir, and Apple is no Microsoft"
  • Reply 220 of 226
    Bob Eiger CEO of Disney just joined the board Disney is serial dividend raiser and Eiger has expertise on that and is PRO dividend. The board is a democratic and changeable entity and Apple used to offer a dividend from personal experience.Dividend investors are the world's #1 class of investors and thus they do drive share demand and price. Even 1.6% would put it slightly above IBM the closest quality dividend stock most investors would be in making it VERY attractive to them considering Apple has half the PEG ratio and half the PE ratio of IBM. So I might stay flexible to see what happens 2/23.

Tim Cook is a smart fellow as is Bob Eiger and they know how to reward loyal investors

and attract new classes of investors. 10 for 1 stock plit like BIDU did 5/10 really drove that stock making it much more attractive to the beginning or smaller investor desiring a better price point around $50/share it would be similar with Apple. Small stock buyback programs enhance hedge fund manager interest provide stability on dips enhancing investor confidence and stock attractiveness driving price upward. So more will be revealed personally think they will do one or more of these within the next year.