2%-3% dividend suggested as best use of Apple's $100B in cash

Comments

• Reply 41 of 226
    Can someone please explain again how the payout is determined on a dividend. Have read it is based on earnings, someone else posted it is based on share price.

Thanks

Bob
  • Reply 42 of 226
    i think they should split. i know a lot of people who want to jump on AAPL, but can't right now because the cost of entry is so high.

i know it really doesn't matter whether you buy 1 share at 500 or 10 shares at 50, but when you can't afford 1 share at 500, you aren't going to buy. if you could get 1 share for 50... or 4 shares for 200, the stock is more appealing.

as for dividends or buybacks... Apple obviously knows better than I do when it comes to what to do with money. As long as they keep making profit and the stock keeps rising, they can keep the money.

just my $0.02
  • Reply 43 of 226
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So you'd rather pay zero tax on zero income vs. capital gains on free money?

Apple is not an income stock and I knew that when I want it. It is also not free money. It would devalue the stock. Since I bought it as a growth stock I would prefer that not happen. Eventually I hope to get it all moved into a retirement account, but you know what. I still would not want them devaluing my growth stock to try and pretend it is an income stock.

Your suggestion that the most undervalued growth stock on the market should reduce its value and slow its growth is quite bizarre. Maybe they should take on a huge debt so their enterprise value can go up too. People really need to stop learning about investing by reading random web pages.
  • Reply 44 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

It's 3% of the stock price. So, if Apple is at $500, then the payout at 3% would be $15/share. The percentage would go up/down as Apple's stock does. The dollar amount would only change when Apple management makes an adjustment

Apple's "Board of Directors" decide on a dividend, not management.

Apple's Annual Shareholders meeting is less then a month away, that is probably when "the Board" would announce the size/timing of a dividend(if they decided to issue one at all)

Apple has $98bn of cash equivalents, as of Dec 31'11, according to their 10Q. They are generating plenty of cash, but a lot of that is overseas and would be subject to US taxes if Apple repatriates that cash in the form of a dividend to shareholders. Apple would probably would use US earnings to dictate the dividend payout(tax efficient)

I'm hearing Investment Banks have been canvassing "Value Fund Mgrs." about their interest in owning AAPL stock if Apple issued a dividend and presenting those results to the Board.

I suspect some Large Value Mgrs. think Apple will issue a dividend and have proceeded to buy up shares ahead of the announcement leading to the rather large upward movement of AAPL recently.

An initial 2-3% annual dividend payout(roughly $10-15/share) would be extremely POSITIVE for AAPL stock, and I would love to see it.

Apple's operating business would not be affected at all by paying out a dividend.
  • Reply 45 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EdKent View Post

Investors know when Apple announces a dividend the share price will go up and that benefits investors and the corporation. Everyone wins if Apple announces a dividend this month. I'm a shareholder already and have patiently waited for it to be deemed the right time by Apple to pay a dividend. I believe this is the year. A stock that gives a dividend becomes a stock that many investment portfolios will want to acquire and that drives the share price even higher. So, the existing sharholders before a dividend announcement have the most to gain since they reap the dividend and the share price jump. And, since Apple's forecast is so profit peachy those new investors will reap the increase going forward too.

An Apple dividend will be a win/win for everyone. Because the share price will reach $850 to $1000 within the next 2 years they also may do a stock split meaning if you've got 1 share worth $550 you'll now have 2 shares worth more than $225 each since that also increases trading activity and company worth.

I would prefer, they find a better use for the money to help the company grow. I would prefer they not give me a tax liability. I would doubly prefer they not give the company one to give me one.
  • Reply 46 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

You apparently have never owned a stock.

Yes I do and one thing I know is that many investors look negatively on companies that don't pay a dividend especially one that's sitting on a stockpile of cash.
  • Reply 47 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syracuse View Post

Apple's "Board of Directors" decide on a dividend, not management.

Apple's Annual Shareholders meeting is less then a month away, that is probably when "the Board" would announce the size/timing of a dividend(if they decided to issue one at all)

Apple has $98bn of cash equivalents, as of Dec 31'11, according to their 10Q. They are generating plenty of cash, but a lot of that is overseas and would be subject to US taxes if Apple repatriates that cash in the form of a dividend to shareholders. Apple would probably would use US earnings to dictate the dividend payout(tax efficient)

I'm hearing Investment Banks have been canvassing "Value Fund Mgrs." about their interest in owning AAPL stock if Apple issued a dividend and presenting those results to the Board.

I suspect some Large Value Mgrs. think Apple will issue a dividend and have proceeded to buy up shares ahead of the announcement leading to the rather large upward movement of AAPL recently.

An initial 2-3% annual dividend payout(roughly $10-15/share) would be extremely POSITIVE for AAPL stock, and I would love to see it.

Apple's operating business would not be affected at all by paying out a dividend.

That presumes you know what Apple's long term plans are for the cash.
  • Reply 48 of 226
    Quote:

Apple is not an income stock and I knew that when I want it. It is also not free money. It would devalue the stock. Since I bought it as a growth stock I would prefer that not happen. Eventually I hope to get it all moved into a retirement account, but you know what. I still would not want them devaluing my growth stock to try and pretend it is an income stock.

Your suggestion that the most undervalued growth stock on the market should reduce its value and slow its growth is quite bizarre. Maybe they should take on a huge debt so their enterprise value can go up too. People really need to stop learning about investing by reading random web pages.

Why can't AAPL be BOTH a growth and income stock?

Paying a dividend has ZERO impact on the growth of Apple's business.
  • Reply 49 of 226
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

In other words, let's pour 2 or 3 percent down the toilet.

Dividends are so last century. Everyone knows they don't do anything but waste money. A lot of rich folks will get marginally richer and everyone gets a free vacation that year. Big deal.

It won't help the company in any way. It won't help them make better products, or cheaper products or more products. Just the opposite in fact.

Agreed
  • Reply 50 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes I do and one thing I know is that many investors look negatively on companies that don't pay a dividend especially one that's sitting on a stockpile of cash.

Most investors know what kind of company they are buying. In the end, if the ownership of the company wants to change the type of stock AAPL is, they will need to elect a slate of directors that want the company to behave like a value stock instead of a growth stock.
  • Reply 51 of 226
    Quote:

Why can't AAPL be BOTH a growth and income stock?

Paying a dividend has ZERO impact on the growth of Apple's business.

Again, none of us can make that statement because we have no idea what the strategic plans are for the 100 billion dollars. They may be sitting on it awaiting favorable tax conditions somewhere so they can make an acquisition.

People in this thread keep making bizarre blanket absolute statements. No one on this thread can possibly say paying a dividend will not impact Apples growth as a company.
  • Reply 52 of 226
    Quote:

That presumes you know what Apple's long term plans are for the cash.

What is your presumption then?

Using the cash for a takeover?

Apple has been returning .25% on their cash, I'd rather have that paid out to investors(me), where I'd promptly re-invest it in AAPL shares.
  • Reply 53 of 226
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bokap View Post

Can someone explain how dividends are determined. If Apple pays 3% dividend, is it 3% of what?

Thanks,

Bob

Dividends can be based on anything and calculated any way you wish. You could, for example, (as one company I know did) pledge to distribute 50% of free cash flow in dividends. However, since the article talks about 'dividend yield', that has a very specific meaning. Dividend yield is dividend divided by share price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I understand the argument of don't fix something that is not broken. But, a 3% dividend @ $500 share ($15/share) would be about $14 billion dollars per year payout. Apple is projected to generate another $70+ billion in cash this year

So, even if they did a 3% dividend, Apple cash balance could grow to: $100 + ($70- $14 dividend) = $156 billion by end of year

Above all, Apple senior management needs to make sure they have the capital to execute their game plan. It's worldwide and it is on a massive scale, as they are essentially building out the world's computing and mobile platforms for the next 20 years. Only they really know the plan and the need for the cash

That is the most sensible thing anyone has posted. (Wu's suggestion of a $70-80 B dividend is crazy.)

In the end, management has to make a decision as to how much cash they need to keep on hand for strategic purposes and safety net. Once they have more cash than that, they have to make an assessment of what to do with the cash. That could include acquisitions, share buybacks, or dividends. So far, there hasn't been any signs of acquisitions that could use any significant percentage of the cash. If cash continues to grow by 30-40% per year, they'll need to do something - and that might include share buybacks or dividends. Dividends require repatriation of cash and will therefore have tax consequences. Depending on where the share buybacks occur, they might or might not.

There are also acquisitions besides companies, btw (their pre-payment for components is one example). Perhaps they're planning to buy Bora Bora so that they can run their corporate offices free from local regulations and in a sunny climate where they can get free solar energy.

In the end, no one outside of Apple's board room knows what their plans are so it's impossible to say when they reach the point where they have 'too much' cash.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

As is often the case, many of the comments I read here are so stupid as to boggle my mind.

Apple is a publicly traded company. The only appropriate action to take, with respect to that pile of case, is to use it in the way that stockholders want it to be used, in the best interest of the stockholders. There is virtually unanimous opinion among analysts, whose opinions closely reflect the opinions of stockholders, that Apple needs to pay a dividend.

No need to go any further. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that analysts reflect the opinions of stock holders. Nor is there any legal mechanism for the Board to pay any attention to analysts. The only thing you stated correctly is that the stock holders eventually control Apple. But they don't do that by voting on what they want (other than limited circumstances). Instead, they do that by electing board members to represent them. The BOARD decides what Apple does with its cash, not analysts.
  • Reply 54 of 226
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

What is your presumption then?

Using the cash for a takeover?

Apple has been returning .25% on their cash, I'd rather have that paid out to investors(me), where I'd promptly re-invest it in AAPL shares.

They could accomplish the same thing with greater tax efficiency by simply buying back shares.

If Apple buys back shares, it has no impact on your taxes. If they issue a dividend to you and you buy back shares, you have to pay income tax on the dividend, so you're worse off.

In addition, they have to repatriate money to issue a dividend since the dividend would be paid in U.S. dollars - which means more money lost to taxes. If they buy back shares in a different country and pay with local currency, they would not have to repatriate the money.

So, if Apple really doesn't have a use for the money, a stock buyback makes a lot more sense than a dividend. But that's begging the question. The Board obviously thinks that, at least as of today, they need the amount of cash that they have. And since shareholders voted to elect the board, they have the final say.
  • Reply 55 of 226
    Quote:

Again, none of us can make that statement because we have no idea what the strategic plans are for the 100 billion dollars. They may be sitting on it awaiting favorable tax conditions somewhere so they can make an acquisition.

People in this thread keep making bizarre blanket absolute statements. No one on this thread can possibly say paying a dividend will not impact Apples growth as a company.

whoa, settle down chief.

Mine was not an "absolute statement", just an opinion.

I don't own a crystal ball so I don't know what Apple has in mind for takeovers, but since they have never spent more then $400MM on an acquisition before I suspect they won't start now.

GROWTH and INCOME investing are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.
  • Reply 56 of 226
    ABSOLUTELY stupid idea.

Heaven forbid.
  • Reply 57 of 226
    Quote:

And no one on this can say that paying dividend WILL impact Apples growth.
  • Reply 58 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

As is often the case, many of the comments I read here are so stupid as to boggle my mind.

All of you people who assert that Apple should not pay a dividend, or should not buy more of their own common stock, or should not engage in buying more companies such as Cirrus Logic, instead of simply asserting that these would be bad things for Apple to do, why don't you explain the reasoning behind your assertions?

Here's why I assert that Apple should not pay a dividend ... Because they've decided so far not to pay a dividend. Apple's management to date have been experts at building a cash stockpile and using it strategically. Based on this track record, I believe (as a shareholder) that Apple's management continues to be in the best position to decide what to do with the cash in ways that will further improve Apple's business situation.

Your track record, however, is non-existent and therefore your advise has no value.

Furthermore, the one example you use to support your argument - Apple purchasing one of their parts suppliers - is a tremendously bad idea. Apple is in the business of three things. First, to build the Apple brand. Second, to design great products. Three, to market and sell those great products. They are not in the business of designing sound chips or any other commodity parts, and they are definitely not in the business of managing entire organizations focused on such activities. Acquisitions are almost never a good idea. Acquisitions of organizations that have nothing to do with your core business are definitely never a good idea...unless you're trying to get out of the industry you are in and enter another one. Does that describe Apple?
  • Reply 59 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

How would this help them make great products?

Brilliant question.

Answer: It's completely irrelevant to making great products.
  • Reply 60 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bokap View Post

Can someone please explain again how the payout is determined on a dividend. Have read it is based on earnings, someone else posted it is based on share price.

Thanks

Bob

It is based on earnings. Period. Anyone that says it's based on stock price is clueless. Period.