Swiss company seeks iPhone, Apple TV ban over alleged patent infringement

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And KT in South Korea is blocking the Samsung SmartTVs from accessing their network claiming it spikes their network 265x their normal load... or something to that effect.

edit: I was close enough: http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/10/27...-network-block

The Actual claim is "that high adoption rates of smart TVs could cause network speeds to become 265 times slower, and it urged TV makers to pay for the cost of network use."

Sounds like they want Samsung in particular, LG and other smart TV manufacturers to pay to improve KT's infrastrusture. Well geesh, shouldn't Apple and the other smartphone companies pay ATT and Verizon to improve theirs too? In fact Sprint could use a lot of help. Why stop with Korea.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Its the Global thermonuclear war SJ wanted. Sue everyone and everyone sues you.

Guess SJ did not see war games.

How about a nice game of chess?

What you are referring to is called a countersuit. This is not a countersuit.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Your statement misconstrues Apple's (and previously Steven Jobs') assertions in this respect in about as few words as possible - congratulations.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I thought you had to have an actual product to be able to own a patent on the idea...

Nope. You can patent an idea.

HOWEVER, if it is just an idea then a company that actually figures out how to make it real, particularly when using tech they hold patents on themselves, they have about 10 different ways to counter the patent of just the idea. Their own prior art is one, prior art in general is another. Vast improvement such that they have created an item that is worthy of a patent itself is yet another. and so on
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

Except that that isn't exactly what he said. It wasn't "Sue Everyone" but rather only the Everyone that is trying to use Apple patents without permission (unlike Samsung and Motorola who are suing over patents they agreed to enter as part of a 'standard' and thus follow FRAND rules)
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Haven't read the whole damned patent, but it sounds like there must be about a few thousand prior art examples.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And KT in South Korea is blocking the Samsung SmartTVs from accessing their network claiming it spikes their network 265x their normal load... or something to that effect.

edit: I was close enough: http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/10/27...-network-block

What's the definition of 'slow' in South Korea? 10Gbps?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Well, the benchmark has been set now, hasn't it?

If you can sue on FRAND, why not give anything a crack?
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Nope. You can patent an idea.

HOWEVER, if it is just an idea then a company that actually figures out how to make it real, particularly when using tech they hold patents on themselves, they have about 10 different ways to counter the patent of just the idea. Their own prior art is one, prior art in general is another. Vast improvement such that they have created an item that is worthy of a patent itself is yet another. and so on

What you can patent is an implementation of an idea, not the idea itself.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What you can patent is an implementation of an idea, not the idea itself.

with enough and/or's you can patent an idea.

Hence how Samsung, Google, and microsoft all somehow MAY violate Apple's slide to unlock patent (as the OSes are today) despite the implementations being different.

The and/or language allows everything to be covered...essentially patenting an idea.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    As a full time resident of Switzerland, I'd just like to say "fuck you SmartData" if I can't get my next iPhone.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

As a full time resident of Switzerland, I'd just like to say "fuck you SmartData" if I can't get my next iPhone.

Likely Germans are saying the same thing to Apple about their next Samsung products.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    I'm a swiss citizen and i never heard about such company and just go on their web site, there is absolutely nothing....

I agree to defend the innovation or the concepts you invent but for this one just let me laugth

I'm just curious to know if there is any devices or "live" product currently beeing used somewhere....

Really if they mess up like in Germany and i can't get my next Iphone or Ipad 3 I cann't tell what i wouold do and this will make the worst advertisement for that company which apparently is selling nothing except concepts...

Hey i have a concept also : Refresh your flash animation, today it's smartphone era, nokia 3200 is over
  • Reply 34 of 34
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Assuming that this patent isn't invalid for prior art (as this does sound like every remote controlled DVR box made in the last two decades). Then good for them.

I hate pointless and or unethical patent litigation, but that doesn't mean that I think Apple should get away with stealing anyone else's intellectual property.