Apple attacks Motorola's efforts to block iPhone 4S using standards patents, asks for huge damages

Comments

• Reply 101 of 212
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leeeh2 View Post

And best line ever, "Say hello to my little FRAND".

Yep.

Concerning the damages, I imagine they could only ask for damages caused as a result of the product removal from the stores:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/03/...la-patent-win/

I don't think it lasted long but could still amount to hundreds of millions given how many products they sell. I wonder why the 4S wasn't taken down, it is a 3G device too. Maybe Apple modified the 4S so that it doesn't violate the patents in question.

Apple seems to be making around $1b/week profit so any long term banning that Motorola succeeds with and is ruled unfair could cost them a good amount of money, although Apple's profits are from worldwide sales so damages will be ruled against German sales.
  • Reply 102 of 212
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode 5 View Post

Who knows who's pulling whose strings.

It's interesting that this letter terminating all licensing with respects to Apple arrives January 11th 2011, just seven days after Motorola split into two companies on January 4th 2011. It looks a lot like Motorola was setting up an exit strategy from its' mobile business. A cynic might conclude this was a strategy aimed at duping a particular prospective buyer into believing Motorola Mobility had concealed worth far grater than it's quarterly losses suggests. Had Motorola considered this a legit and profitable action, why split the company in two?

Regardless of when Google's involvement begins, both the $12.5 billion purchase price for MMI and the (6 x normal) $2.5 billion reverse break-up fee would seem to suggest Google bought into this legal action holus-bolus.

Ahh yes, I see your point. It would be more logical to assume that the least reasonable explanation is most likely the true one.
  • Reply 103 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yep.

Concerning the damages, I imagine they could only ask for damages caused as a result of the product removal from the stores:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/03/...la-patent-win/

I don't think it lasted long but could still amount to hundreds of millions given how many products they sell. I wonder why the 4S wasn't taken down, it is a 3G device too. Maybe Apple modified the 4S so that it doesn't violate the patents in question.

IIRC, it wasn't removed because it used the newer Qualcomm chip which included licensing that extended to the third party, Apple in this case. Therefor the 4S was excluded from the list of infringing devices.

I know, that doesn't seem to make sense in light of Apple's suit to claim the patent is exhausted on the Qualcomm chip after the German court already agreed the patent claim was exhausted. I think it's probably just to make sure another court somewhere else in some other country doesn't see it differently.
  • Reply 104 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caccamucca View Post

It is actually $12.5 billion. Looks like this lawsuit settlement will cost them at least that much more to settle. Moto deal is going to drain $25 billion with nothing to show for. Music to my ears.

$2.5 billion is the back out fee.
  • Reply 105 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If it were up to me, any anti-Apple trolls would not be allowed on this forum and any violators would be banned for life (one strike and you're out!). Hell, if it were up to me, people would not be allowed to access this forum, unless they were on a Mac or iOS device. I don't come here for discussions with anti-Apple people, as I am not interested in anything that these people have to say. I am only interested in speaking with fellow Apple users. But that of course is not up to me, so all I can do as a user is to forcibly knock down any ignorant comments which anti-Apple people spew from their mouths. As opposed to what some other people might believe, I don't believe that ignoring ignorance is the best method for dealing with trolls. I believe that they should be confronted head on and killed as quickly as possible

If it were up to me, anyone who uses the term "troll" would be banned for life from all Internet forums.
  • Reply 106 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

It may be a profitable company, but recent FBI files tell a story that Apple will lie steal and cheat to get there way. Plus they don't give a crap about the way there OEM factories are run. So a few people committed suicide, that's ok as long as we get our products made that's all that matters. They almost went under once it will happen again.

Apple DOES care about their OEM factories are run. Most of the other manufacturers who use the same OEM care even less and won't even entertain meeting with the China Labour Union, unlike Apple who does ACTUALLY care.
  • Reply 107 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

If it were up to me, anyone who uses the term "troll" would be banned for life from all Internet forums.

Oh, so like South Korea where you're forced to use your real information and identity to post online. Ban one place, you'd be automatically banned from the rest.

?

I hate it.
  • Reply 108 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Another clueless troll in training.

The singular value of the word "troll" is with delivery insults. The practice amounts to old-fashioned name calling, pure and simple. Name-calling ought not be permitted, and that is why the instant that anyone uses the word "troll", they ought to be banned from a forum such as this.

This in fact is one of my gripes with the bozos who run this forum. They allow people who worship Apple to call other people names with impunity. When someone gets fed up with it and fights back in like manner, that person then gets banned. The people who run this forum have zero credibility as far as I am concerned until they adopt and adhere to a practice of treating Apple-worshipers and Apple-haters the same, and in particular bans people the instant they use the word "troll".

If you have a problem with something that someone else wrote, you should be able to repudiate what that person wrote, on the merits, rationally, and should not need to resort to name calling.
  • Reply 109 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

This in fact is one of my gripes with the bozos who run this forum.

Bozos, eh?

Quote:

The people who run this forum have zero credibility as far as I am concerned until they adopt and adhere to a practice of treating Apple-worshipers and Apple-haters the same

We do. They're both allowed here.

Quote:

If you have a problem with something that someone else wrote, you should be able to repudiate what that person wrote, on the merits, rationally, and should not need to resort to name calling.

Exactly. So you shouldn't NEED to "fight back in like manner" since it's perfectly possible to disprove a lie with calm, rational truths.
  • Reply 110 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

I love how honest Qualcomm is

It's in Qualcomm's best interest, why would they want to lose such a big SINGLE customer as Apple?
  • Reply 111 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

The technical term for hugs is FRAND -- Fair, Reasonable and NonDiscriminatory -- which is what Motorola agreed to and Apple is suing for.

More than likely Moto is asking for MORE from Apple than they asked of others (so not non-discriminatory), or they want access to some of Apple's patents, something which is NOT allowed under FRAND terms.
  • Reply 112 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Yeah, Google miss and Apple got a huge earning. Poor Slappy. So much for Android having 98% market shares by the end of 2012.

Slappy? LOLOLOL!

He'll come back here and tell us that Android phones outsell iOS phones, but he'll ignore that Apple only sells ONE phone!

/Slappy
  • Reply 113 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you shouldn't NEED to "fight back in like manner" since it's perfectly possible to disprove a lie with calm, rational truths.

That's what most us us do, at least the reputable ones. The handful that are quick to resort to name-calling, false claims of shill or distracting claims of troll are easy to pick up on. Just ignore them. They're just an unfortunate part of many forums and no mod here encourages that kind of behavior.

For the most part if you treat other members here respectfully you'll get the same in return. Those that don't aren't deserving of attention anyway so don't give them any. Make sense?
  • Reply 114 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

After reading the various responses to my early post, I have no choice but to conclude this is the biggest group of elite assholes I have ever met. After 18 years of Internet flamefests, that's an achievement.

And we honestly wonder why there are people who want Apple & its supporters to fail.

I have never seen any online discussion forum as entertaining as this one. And to echo your point, that's really saying something. Christian and political forums do not have posters as dedicated to a position as this one has. Not nearly.
  • Reply 115 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Bozos, eh?

We do. They're both allowed here.

Exactly. So you shouldn't NEED to "fight back in like manner" since it's perfectly possible to disprove a lie with calm, rational truths.

Pay no attention to that guy... he's a troll.
  • Reply 116 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I have never seen any online discussion forum as entertaining as this one. And to echo your point, that's really saying something. Christian and political forums do not have posters as dedicated to a position as this one has. Not nearly.

Obviously neither of you have been to enough christian and political forums.
  • Reply 117 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Pay no attention to that guy... he's a troll.

You're quick. . .
  • Reply 118 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

He'll come back here and tell us that Android phones outsell iOS phones, but he'll ignore that Apple only sells ONE phone!

I'm actually beginning to doubt that Android phones outsell iOS phones.
  • Reply 119 of 212
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If it were up to me, any anti-Apple trolls would not be allowed on this forum and any violators would be banned for life (one strike and you're out!). Hell, if it were up to me, people would not be allowed to access this forum, unless they were on a Mac or iOS device. I don't come here for discussions with anti-Apple people, as I am not interested in anything that these people have to say. I am only interested in speaking with fellow Apple users. But that of course is not up to me, so all I can do as a user is to forcibly knock down any ignorant comments which anti-Apple people spew from their mouths. As opposed to what some other people might believe, I don't believe that ignoring ignorance is the best method for dealing with trolls. I believe that they should be confronted head on and killed as quickly as possible

I'm a little late to this thread but what the hey.

I like your style, Apple][. Sure, every child deserves to play in the local sandbox, but if some little dude decides he's going to use it as a toilet, I say, send him thither and yon.

You do rant a little too Apple-supportive at times, but hey, if a guy loves the gal he loves, why can't he occasionally go waggly-eyed over her attributes. So someone else thinks she's a hound snack, well, some thoughts should be kept in one's head.

Oops.
  • Reply 120 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm actually beginning to doubt that Android phones outsell iOS phones.

Really? Was it the fact that they've NEVER reported real numbers of sold devices that tipped you off?

Honestly, I can't understand why all these websites that put up charts with units sold, percentages of marketshare and all that other stuff decided to TAKE THAT CRAP and post the fake numbers.

They need to be posting charts with asterisks in every company's cells except Apple's.