5.1 Surround Sound For Macs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a decent, relatively budget friendly (i.e. consumer, not professional)5.1 solution out there for the Mac? Is it a PCI sound card or is there a USB or Firewire box that can do the trick?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I have a feeling that OS9 doesn't support multi channel sound (other than stereo). I'd be interested to know whether this has changed with OSX.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mrbilldatamrbilldata Posts: 489member
    If the 5.1 isn't from a CD or DVD you won't hear what you want anyway. MP3 and even MP4 copies of Dolby 5.1 recordings are corrupted and sound like Krahp.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I was refering to DVD playback mainly, but also there are games coming out now that take advantage of more than 2 channels of sound.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eric Reid:

<strong>Is there a decent, relatively budget friendly (i.e. consumer, not professional)5.1 solution out there for the Mac? Is it a PCI sound card or is there a USB or Firewire box that can do the trick?</strong><hr></blockquote>

There are cards available and Mac OS X has Surrond Sound support
  • Reply 5 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I think you're really out of luck, not many surround sound cards and not enough support from the OS... does DVD Player even output dolby digital anyway?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    just posted a reply in another thread but the sonica from m-audio claims to do this (not 100% about OS support)

from the <a href="http://www.midiman.net/products/consumer/sonicaSite/alt_content/about.html"; target="_blank">website</a>

* Portable 24-bit/96 kHz audio upgrade for laptops and desktops

* Digital Connector for surround sound receiver or MiniDisc

* Analog connector for powered speakers or stereo receiver

* Supports Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3), Dolby Pro Logic and DTS

For only $90, definately in the consumer price range.

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>