Fair Labor Association begins inspections of Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Huh imagine that Apple is doing something about these problems just like they said they would.

No other company out of dozens that use foxconn both U. S. and Foreign have done anything except apple. Why doesnt the press print that? Guess thats is not sensationalistic news. Doesn't promote click bait. Im suprized this article was printed saying something positive about apple.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

This is why Apple is being targeted..

Apple is ALREADY leading the way toward improvements. It's the other electronics venders that are lagging behind or showing no leadership toward change. Samsung has a "mountain of cash" too, to use your logic. So why are the labor conditions in their factories so much worse, compared to Apple's suppliers? Remember to look at the broader picture and to keep perspective. The conditions at Apple's suppliers are much better compared to other plants.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Oh man, here comes the curse of being big. Now activists, lawyers and politicians won't leave Apple in peace anymore eh?

Just read Atlas Shrugged. All of your concerns are clearly laid out in that tome.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

As an Apple fan and stockholder, I'm very happy to hear this news.

I'm more interested to see which big US labor groups or Apple competitors are behind these actions.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

Apple is ALREADY leading the way toward improvements. It's the other electronics venders that are lagging behind or showing no leadership toward change. Samsung has a "mountain of cash" too, to use your logic. So why are the labor conditions in their factories so much worse, compared to Apple's suppliers? Remember to look at the broader picture and to keep perspective. The conditions at Apple's suppliers are much better compared to other plants.

To agree with you Samsung builds or "assembles" all of ther droid phones at foxconn facilities. And like you said they too are very profitable with mountains of cash, where is the negative press against them?

Microsoft builds all of ther xboxes at foxconn facilities in china, in fact one of the foxconn plants to threaten mass suicide was a foxconn facility building xboxs. Where is the presses association of Microsofts responcibility with there own plants conditions? Pundits are two faced and could not be even handed in there articles if they tried to. It does not promote sensational news. The New York Times is a tabloid rage as well as cnn. They promote irresponcible journalism. There articles of which I have read both are so one sided you would think apple has done nothing and that apple is respocible completely for foxconns behaviour and the chinese government has no respocibility to protect its people either.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm more interested to see which big US labor groups or Apple competitors are behind these actions.

Your interest will be sated if you read the article. It ain't hard, son.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Quote:

Your interest will be sated if you read the article. It ain't hard, son.

The New York Times and CNN did not create these stories on a whim. Get real. Who stands to gain from such stories? Stock manipulators, labor unions, competitors, and many more. People always act in their self-interest and by extension, so do organizations and businesses.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

Samsung produces supplier responsibility reports and they are working to improve things too. It's nieve to think Apple is the only one doing this just because it's not in the press. None of these companies have significantly improved conditions and there is a lot of work to be done. Apple is being targeted because it is one of the most profitable of them all. The press has been pointing fingers at these other companies too. Apple is the only company making claims that they are doing a really good job so they are asking for scrutiny from the press.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:

Samsung produces supplier responsibility reports and they are working to improve things too. It's nieve to think Apple is the only one doing this just because it's not in the press. None of these companies have significantly improved conditions and there is a lot of work to be done. Apple is being targeted because it is one of the most profitable of them all. The press has been pointing fingers at these other companies too. Apple is the only company making claims that they are doing a really good job so they are asking for scrutiny from the press.

I think you're partially correct. Apple addressed the cries of their critics (who typically disappear without a trace after bringing up their complaints or selling their book or article) some time ago. Apple might have been wiser to never respond.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:

Apple addressed the cries of their critics (who typically disappear without a trace after bringing up their complaints or selling their book or article) some time ago.

This is respectable though. The media should be targeting companies who are non-responsive about it.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:

The New York Times and CNN did not create these stories on a whim. Get real. Who stands to gain from such stories? Stock manipulators, labor unions, competitors, and many more. People always act in their self-interest and by extension, so do organizations and businesses.

Your cynical worldview doesn't allow for corporations to do the right thing out of anything other than self-interest, so I'll try it this way:

Just as McDonald's saw that biodegradable packaging was in its best interest, so too does Apple see that it needs to be a responsible corporate citizen to maintain its brand image and equity.

Now, go back and read (I swear, it won't hurt), and you'll see that *today's* news is about *Apple's* request for independent evaluation of its suppliers.

There. I did your homework for you. Now I'm going back to work. Whee.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

Your cynical worldview doesn't allow for corporations to do the right thing out of anything other than self-interest, so I'll try it this way:

Just as McDonald's saw that biodegradable packaging was in its best interest, so too does Apple see that it needs to be a responsible corporate citizen to maintain its brand image and equity.

Now, go back and read (I swear, it won't hurt), and you'll see that *today's* news is about *Apple's* request for independent evaluation of its suppliers.

... and I'd say the truth is somewhere between the two views.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Possibly the most mind-blowingly ridiculous line of reasoning I've ever heard. First of all, not a single person has mentioned Foxconn is 'so great!'. So why the fuck are you trying to be disingenuous by arguing against a fictional, ridiculous statement nobody has ever made? There isn't a single manufacturing facility on the planet that is 'great'. Thanks, we all know it's not great, and nobody is arguing that it is. Why are you trying to lower the level of discourse into this kindergarten type of garbage? There are things in between 'worst working conditions in the world' to 'so great!'. The question is, where does Foxconn fall compared to other companies in the same field in the same area, and how does Apple compare to other companies in terms of dealing with the situation? The answer to both is 'superior'.

Your 'go and work at Foxconn if its so great' line is just below 'why dont you go and marry it if its so great' in terms of stupidity. No, I'm not going to move across the world to work at an entry level manufacturing facility in China, and that fact doesn't contract anything I could ever say about Foxconn because it's utterly irrational. Also, I doubt I'd even get in, since waiting lists are in the tens of thousands for people to desperately work there and who desperately need the money.

Calm down Slurpy and count to three and it will be alright. I can just visualize your face beet red in composing that reply. No one really wants jragosta to go to China so he won't be leaving you.

I've said it time and time again and I will repeat it just for you, Foxconn's employees are not Apple's responsibility. Foxconn, China and the labor movement there will have a lot of growing pains. No one is beating on poor Apple, I have way to many positions at stake. I want Apple to be socially responsible and come to an equitable conclusion to all of this but its really up to Foxconn. Feeling better?
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why would anyone (much less Apple) care about what issues you're passionate about? Either it's OK or it's not. And if it's not OK for Apple's subcontractors to use local standards, then it's not OK for U.S. manufacturers to use local standards, either. You should be picketing U.S. companies for overpaying CEOs, for not giving adequate maternity leave, and for having too long a work week - at least by standards in some other countries.

Jumping on Apple while ignoring all the other companies is hypocritical, anyway. Doing so while ignoring the fact that U.S. companies don't follow the same standards as other countries, is doubly hypocritical.

Sure it matters. Which is why I'm happy that Apple has created half a million jobs in China where those families would otherwise starve. Maybe Apple should make Foxconn close the factory and let those people starve.

Chinese people are lining up for these jobs. They're among the best jobs in China. Who are you to impose your standards on them?

There you go telling me what to do with my precious time, maybe you should go to China. Just j/k for Slurpy.

Your right, Apple and Foxconn have made millions of jobs but you and Slurpy continue to insist that I somehow want Apple to fix all the problems of the world and provide rainbows and unicorns to everyone. I'll say it again since reading comprehension is not a forte, Apple is not responsible for Foxconn's employees. TheFoxconn jobs do suck and I know its incomprehensible but there are better jobs in China.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That may happen yet.

[I'm always wondering who the grand arbiter is in all of this. I think it's inhumane to make people work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I think we should work no more than 4 days a week and 6 hours a day with a minimum of 4 weeks holiday and $20 hour.]

Do you think most people would be happy working your humane job and only making $25K a year? I don't.think so.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Do you think most people would be happy working your humane job and only making $25K a year? I don't.think so.

Huh??

Most people working @ $10 an hour X 40 hours a week would love it. Time for the kids. Time for themselves. Time to get another job if they wished ... and still making more than they did before.

[wtf... you're kidding... right... you actually thought that my suggestion of $20 an hour was a cap on wages... that's the minimum?!]
  • Reply 57 of 61
    It ain't gonna work. It is too much fuss about Apple. The problem is not with Apple contracted manufacturers only. Stop bogging the most prominent technology corp.and pull out head out of your a... It is about something bigger than one corp. and labor of contractors factories.

Perhaps it is worth to take a look who are those who stand behind vendor factories. I think it would be very interesting who really fakes good conditions and brain washes poor people.

Huh I might even know something because I I lived in such system for 30 year in Eastern Europe.

Apple is at guilt by being complacent... so is few other corporations., but they did not cause workers to suffer.We all thought that they gave jobs... but even that is plain BS.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Oh man, here comes the curse of being big.

I hear ya, I have that curse, it makes me walk funny.

• Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:

This is respectable though. The media should be targeting companies who are non-responsive about it.

Why?

Why not have "the media" take China itself to task? The whole thing is a load of self-serving propaganda.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Quote:

My worldview is informed by reality and you've just essentially admitted the same thing. Please do yourself a favor and Google "enlightened self-interest".