Apple's iPad driving accelerated enterprise transition away from printing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yet another major industry gets totally shaken up by the Apple juggernaut! But hey, good for trees and screw you printer makers and your ink prices

Macs should offer in the print dialog ... Print to Printer, PDF or iPad. The latter send the PDF directly to the iPad of choice on the network with a single click. Just as iBook Author does now.

+10

Amen.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Because very few printers are compatible with the iPad.

More like because you don't need to print something to carry it with you. Just put it on your iPad and go.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ya' know, that makes me think...

Last night on the news they showed the President presenting published and bound books of the nation's budget...

Unsearchable, likely difficult/impossible to read and annotate/reference/share in any meaningful way... about as anachronistic as the phone book or Sears Catalog.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

A stack of bound books is meant to look impressive. I guess it wouldn't have the same impact if he just waved an ipad around.......(well it would, but in a totally different way).

It's going to be hard to get past the bound book or notebook for presenting one-off documents. I don't expect to see it done in my lifetime.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Macs should offer in the print dialog ... Print to Printer, PDF or iPad. The latter send the PDF directly to the iPad of choice

Or Apple gets their act together on getting Mac Apps into the loop with iCloud file sharing. THe substructure is there they just need the applications in the mix. Once they get it going then they will release the SDK for Office etc to add it as well
  • Reply 25 of 47
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    I've never actually figured out why iOS does not support printing to a network printer. It seems like really basic OS functionality that would be easy to implement. Anyone have a simple explanation for that?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I've never actually figured out why iOS does not support printing to a network printer. It seems like really basic OS functionality that would be easy to implement. Anyone have a simple explanation for that?

They do with AirPrint. You can also print via sending the print jobs to either an internet-based service or having a local CUPS server handle the print jobs. The reason why this isn't a default function to all network printers directly from iDevices is that each iDevice would need to have the print drivers installed. This just isn't feasible.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:

??? We print to an old HP 5700 attached to the AirPort Express from Macs, iPads and iPhones.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They do with AirPrint. You can also print via sending the print jobs to either an internet-based service or having a local CUPS server handle the print jobs. The reason why this isn't a default function to all network printers directly from iDevices is that each iDevice would need to have the print drivers installed. This just isn't feasible.

I see. I knew about AirPrint, but none of my printers support it, and so I print via one of my Macs. Is the printer driver issue that much of a problem? Detecting a network printer and then downloading and installing the appropriate driver doesn't seem like that much of an overhead for the device. Assuming the drivers existed of course.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Wow... AAPL market cap closing in on $500 Billion
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:

??? We print to an old HP 5700 attached to the AirPort Express from Macs, iPads and iPhones.

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't used iOS in there AirPort products yet. Add to that 8GB NAND flash and the system could load the Combo Update for multiple Macs on a LAN and even have the right print drivers and a CUPS server built in for printing that gets around AirPrint while making their routers more attractive.

Quote:

I see. I knew about AirPrint, but none of my printers support it, and so I print via one of my Macs. Is the printer driver issue that much of a problem? Detecting a network printer and then downloading and installing the appropriate driver doesn't seem like that much of an overhead for the device. Assuming the drivers existed of course.

It's surely possible but logistically it's not the best option especially when there are easier and cheaper methods that aren't going to take up storage on your pocketable device.

Consider printing from an iDevice, this is an aging request. It's still important, just not as important as putting all needed print drivers in the device.

And it's not like AirPrint printers are expensive. I bet many iDevice users have them and don't even realize it. On HP's site they start at $79.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

It's surely possible but logistically it's not the best option especially when there are easier and cheaper methods that aren't going to take up storage on your pocketable device.

Consider printing from an iDevice, this is an aging request. It's still important, just not as important as putting all needed print drivers in the device.

And it's not like AirPrint printers are expensive. I bet many iDevice users have them and don't even realize it. On HP's site they start at $79.

Fair points. Although I won't be buying any more cheap HP printers - complete junk in my recent experience. Even my more expensive HP 2605 turns out to have some really bad design flaws - I have to dismantle it regularly to clean the unprotected laser optics.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Ya' know, that makes me think...

Last night on the news they showed the President presenting published and bound books of the nation's budget...

Unsearchable, likely difficult/impossible to read and annotate/reference/share in any meaningful way... about as anachronistic as the phone book or Sears Catalog.

Quote:

It's going to be hard to get past the bound book or notebook for presenting one-off documents. I don't expect to see it done in my lifetime.

I believe, by law, the budget needs to be in hard copy form so it can be entered into the National Archives.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    No, it didn't. The industry was already heading in that direction. This would have happened at the exact same time even without the iPad's influence.

• Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Fair points. Although I won't be buying any more cheap HP printers - complete junk in my recent experience. Even my more expensive HP 2605 turns out to have some really bad design flaws - I have to dismantle it regularly to clean the unprotected laser optics.

I print once every 6 months but I just kit the FedEx/Kinkos or UPS Store.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Exactly. There has to be a better way. I'm not saying an iPad is a cure-all for dead-tree documents, but it's a step in the right direction.

We will always need paper. But we're going to be needing less and less of it. Even if iPads had the world's best printing support, people are going to be doing less and less printing.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    doesn't bode well for hewlett (hpq) as their main business is printing.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Wow... AAPL market cap closing in on $500 Billion

Better yet, closing in on being worth double that of Microsoft!

Meanwhile the thread has degenerated into how awful iOS devices are because printer manufacturers are too lazy to support AirPrint.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Unless you are using AirPrint, I think that must be via a Mac. As Soli pointed out - no drivers to print directly.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Airlines are starting to use iPads instead of traditional paper operating manuals and flight documents. That's 12,000 sheets of paper weighing about 70 pounds per pilot that needed to be updated every month. And the FAA has approved in-cockpit use of iPads even during takeoff and landing.

Looking forward to seeing other industries do the same...
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Airlines are starting to use iPads instead of traditional paper operating manuals and flight documents. That's 12,000 sheets of paper weighing about 70 pounds per pilot that needed to be updated every month. And the FAA has approved in-cockpit use of iPads even during takeoff and landing.

Looking forward to seeing other industries do the same...

It's the advantage for applications such as the FAA that make me lean a little more toward the Retina Display coming with the next iPad even if it's only for the higher end models due to cost and production constraints. At 265 PPI the charts should look great.