Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

Comments

• Reply 141 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

What's that icon where Spotlight used to be?

The icon to which you refer is the Notification Center icon. If you click the icon the desktop slides to the left and approximately 20% of the current screen becomes hidden while the notification center replaces said desktop real estate.
  • Reply 142 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

What exactly are you losing if the Mac OS goes away? Taking into account the inevitable increase in sophistication that will come to iOS.

For one: Multiple resizable, overlapping windows open at the same time -- the ability to drag and drop from one to the other.

When you think about it, in many situations you can be more productive with multiple windows.

When MS previewed Windows 8 on a tablet, they showed the ability to drag a second app to half of the display which was then shared among the 2 apps... interesting!

• Reply 143 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

For one: Multiple resizable, overlapping windows open at the same time -- the ability to drag and drop from one to the other.

When you think about it, in many situations you can be more productive with multiple windows.

When MS previewed Windows 8 on a tablet, they showed the ability to drag a second app to half of the display which was then shared among the 2 apps... interesting!

I agree that this is important and very useful. But it's really just a feature that can be added to iOS in a clever way, not a reason that Mac OS should linger around.
  • Reply 144 of 273
    Sweet

Safari has a universal URL/search bar now. Finally

The schizo Software Update versus Mac App Store update dichotomy is gone.

VIP settings in Mail.

I'm upgrading right away.
  • Reply 145 of 273
    Quote:

I agree that this is important and very useful. But it's really just a feature that can be added to iOS in a clever way, not a reason that Mac OS should linger around.

Mac OS is a lot more than just one aspect of Aqua UI you pulled out.

Note that just because MS calls everything Windows doesn't mean they are same at their core. Windows Phone is not Windows desktop!
  • Reply 146 of 273
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Not really now it's going to be "Mountain Lion will see an end to OS X!" heh

I'm waiting for OS X 10.9 Dingos Ate Your Baby edition.

well, the mountain lion is actually the same spices as the puma (OS X 10.1), and the panther too (OS X 10.3). so Apple is really fudging its nomenclature now. and so is the cougar, which it hasn't used yet. so we're good for one more big bump to OS X 10.9 after this. but then ...

probably OS X.X and no more kitties.
  • Reply 147 of 273
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

And all Core 2 Duos can boot into a 64-bit kernel. So if they're dropping support for some Macs that happened to ship with a Core 2 Duo, then they are doing it for a different reason.

Not according to what I have read.

Older Core 2 Duos are considered 64 bit in that they can run 64 bit applications but the kernel is not running in 64 bit.

Look in your Activity Monitor for kernel_task

About mid way down on this page is a list of capable 64 bit kernel machines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard
  • Reply 148 of 273
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    IMO,

If Apple is dropping support for some 64-bit Mac's, it's probably has to do entirely with the Video or CPU features. Like they're probably dropping support for the systems that can't do OpenGL.

The White iMac's have GMA, Radeon 1600(OpenCL added during the 4000 series) or Geforce 7300GT (OpenCL was added during the 8600M series) but this doesn't exactly make sense since the ATI models in the next set of iMac's are the ATI 2600HD, and don't support OpenCL either.

The other possibility that came to mind was Intel VT-x support for hardware assisted sandboxing or something, but the C2D polycarbonite iMac's have C2D's that support this.

So in looking at the cut offs...

iMac (mid 2007 or later)

- Has HD2600 or better

? MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

Has Geforce 9400M or better

? MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later) are all models with the Geforce 9400M or better (assuming intel's video isn't laughable)

? MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later) - Are Geforce 9400M or better

? Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later) - Geforce 9400M or better

? Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later) - Radeon HD 2600 XT or better

? Xserve (Early 2009) , no idea.

So all that's been established is that only the models using Geforce 9400M or Radeon HD2600 are supported (or the HD Graphics that are part of the Core i5/i7 series)

Though it seems that if it was for OpenCL, that doesn't quite fit. The only fitting answer is that they don't want to support the GMA and any GPU older than the Geforce 9400M and Radeon HD2600
  • Reply 149 of 273
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Can anyone with Developer Preview comment whether they unfucked Expose?
  • Reply 150 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

well, the mountain lion is actually the same spices as the puma (OS X 10.1), and the panther too (OS X 10.3). so Apple is really fudging its nomenclature now. and so is the cougar, which it hasn't used yet. so we're good for one more big bump to OS X 10.9 after this. but then ...

In all fairness it was fudged from the start. Since each version of Mac OS X is an evolutionary step off each other using separate species that diverged eons ago doesn't make sense unless... unless they are just code names.
  • Reply 150 of 273
    maybe already covered in this long thread, but what major features of iOS are still missing from OS.X after Mountain Lion? is this the ultimate integration?
  • Reply 152 of 273
    I predict that the Apple OS naming convention will evenutually be iOS and xOS.
  • Reply 153 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Mac OS is a lot more than just one aspect of Aqua UI you pulled out.

Note that just because MS calls everything Windows doesn't mean they are same at their core. Windows Phone is not Windows desktop!

I didn't fetch that example, it was another poster. Sorry, I don't get your point?
  • Reply 154 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In all fairness it was fudged from the start. Since each version of Mac OS X is an evolutionary step off each other using separate species that diverged eons ago doesn't make sense unless... unless they are just code names.

yeah, marketing computer OS's is like naming car models. Apple's got big cats. Google's got candies. MS has got ... well, how do you classify Vista and Metro? basically ad slogans.
  • Reply 155 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

I don't see a problem with this forced move. Consumers get a more reliable product. Developers get a better platform to sell that product.

The new "Allow applications downloaded from:" feature is actually the opposite of what the poster to whom you are responding is stating. The new "Allow applications downloaded from:" is a new feature for iOS 6 as well which will officially allow non-iTunes approved applications on iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.

Apple prefers users to use the Mac App Store and iTunes App Store but pressures have caused Apple to reconsider their "walled garden" approach. The current default in Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) is to allow applications downloaded from anywhere but for iOS the iTunes App Store will be the default.

Apple is slowly but steadily removing restrictions from iOS. Once iOS 6 no longer requires jailbreaking for non-Apple approved apps and provides the best in class Mapping and Navigation app, Fandroids can no longer dispute which smartphone OS is best. While I don't expect Fandroids to admit Apple iOS superiority, only virulent Fandroids should have any reluctance to adopt Apple products.
  • Reply 156 of 273
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A release in and of itself hints at nothing. Considering what Lion was I found it to be one of Apples best releases yet. Perfect nO but far better than some Mac OS/X releases.

Now being cautious is always a good idea, so I'm not saying jump into a release the first minute it is out. Instead you should have a sound idea of its suitability for your use within a few weeks of release. If you think long and hard about it, using your logic, Mountain Lion wouldn't be useful for you at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by philipm View Post

I decided to hold off on 10.7 because the new feature list was long enough to hint at bugs and incompatibilities. This may be the one to go for. I'll be watching for reviews and bug reports.

You make no sense here.
  • Reply 157 of 273
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

yeah, marketing computer OS's is like naming car models. Apple's got big cats. Google's got candies. MS has got ... well, how do you classify Vista and Metro? basically ad slogans.

Check out the Red Hat naming conventions:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/History_of_Red_Hat_Linux
  • Reply 158 of 273
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Apple is doing everything they can to turn Mac OS into iOS, and one day in the not-so-distant future the transition will complete.

I doubt that will happen. IOS would be bloated with a whole bunch of features that are impractical on a tiny screen. And the Mac would be unnecessarily limited given the power of the hardware and its general production versatility.

What will continue to happen is that MacOS will borrow from IOS. I wonder if Apple will develop SimpleFinder further. In many ways Simple Finder is already closer to IOS and for a lot of people a simplified GUI IOS style (one document only visible at any one time, for instance), would be very helpful.
  • Reply 159 of 273
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I guess young men would go for Cougar as an OS.

Quote:

• Reply 160 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I doubt that will happen. IOS would be bloated with a whole bunch of features that are impractical on a tiny screen. And the Mac would be unnecessarily limited given the power of the hardware and its general production versatility.

What will continue to happen is that MacOS will borrow from IOS. I wonder if Apple will develop SimpleFinder further. In many ways Simple Finder is already closer to IOS and for a lot of people a simplified GUI IOS style (one document only visible at any one time, for instance), would be very helpful.

It'll continue to borrow forever?

If Apple makes the Mac iOS interface akin to iMovie or Final Cut Pro x, the interface will be only need to be slightly modified (as it already is between the iPhone and iPad) to work on all devices.