Apple bringing Macs to the living room with AirPlay for Mountain Lion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I remember when Apple released AppleTV 2 there was some talk about the hardware being capable of 1080p output.

It absolutely is, Apple just restricts it because iTunes doesn't have 1080p movies.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    "all transmitted without the need for any cables or adapters."

However you do need an Apple TV which might as well be an adaptor.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fourthletter View Post

"all transmitted without the need for any cables or adapters."

Not if the TV is an actual AppleTV... oh snap!
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I doubt it. Before it was simply a case of not including the functionality for AirPlay at all, and that was that.

But now that the entire OS does it, they don't have any say in the matter whatsoever. Screw 'em.

Also, does anyone else think that the Notification Center's entrance in the desktop space will kill off Growl?

I'm pretty sure that in iOS 5, despite AirPlay Mirroring being an OS-wide feature, Apps can be written to choose what content is mirrored. This is how certain games can "mirror" the actual game, while turning the iOS device into a "controller" or "hud".

However, it also allows apps like Hulu+ to disable the mirroring of video even when using the OS-wide AirPlay Mirroring. I've tried can't get it to work.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fourthletter View Post

How is a wireless streaming solution in any way a 'cable' or 'adapter'? That's like complaining your satellite company's DVR is in the way of getting content to your TV.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Since Siri isn't voice recognition (it merely uses it as an interface), couldn't Apple go all out against Google and allow text input for Siri on your computer?

You'd type the same way you'd speak: "Where's the nearest coffee shop?" etc.

Why even do a Google search? It could be integrated system wide.

That's brilliant!
  • Reply 47 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

What's confusing? It would be Siri, but allow both voice and text input. The latter if you don't want to be seen talking to your computer.

Me, I'd start practicing my best Scottish accent. "Computer..."

I just don't need it happening in the next 10 years.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    time to go buy those 2 extra Apple TV's i've been meaning to pick up. This is the final step that will help me finally migrate all my TV's to ATV from WD TV live.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    About 3 months ago I bought a movie on iTunes on my Mac Mini it played on my monitor perfectly - so I connected my Samsung 46" TV via a hdmi cable into my living room. Imagine my complete surprise and disgust, up pops a dialog box informing me that I am not allowed to play the movie on my HDTV device because I'm not licensed!. I mean WTF.

Will airplay get me around this problem? Because of this I am not buying movies on Itunes anymore, So I just watch Netflix on the TV using iPad. I got rid of CoNCast cable TV.

Looks like the RIAA/movie industry just cut of its nose to spite Apple. They lost several of my sales because of their stoooopid licensing restrictions. this whole situation is so backward really WTF do these idiots think they are achieving? I will be junking my "Samshit" TV and buying the Apple TV when it comes out , esp if it has airplay built in.

In some kind of perverse way the movie/RIAA is playing right into Apple's hands with their stoopid tactics, all it is achieving is making their own cutomers more frustrated and angry , along comes apple and offers what we want.

Okay so be it, you're wish is my command.

I'm even more convinced than ever that AppleTV is going to suceed, lets get the word out and educate people about the new way to have entertainment without frustration of awful/bloated brain dead interfaces, licensing restrictions and all the other controls these idiots and their agents have on us.

IF YOU ARE BEING LIED TO-> YOU ARE BEING CONTROLLED.... IF YOU ARE BEING CONTROLLED -> YOU ARE BEING LIED TO

IF YOU ARE BEING LIED TO-> YOU ARE BEING CONTROLLED.... IF YOU ARE BEING CONTROLLED -> YOU ARE BEING LIED TO

• Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

time to go buy those 2 extra Apple TV's i've been meaning to pick up. This is the final step that will help me finally migrate all my TV's to ATV from WD TV live.

No, not now! Wait for the 1080p version!
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Quote:

However, it also allows apps like Hulu+ to disable the mirroring of video even when using the OS-wide AirPlay Mirroring. I've tried can't get it to work.

The Sky Go app does this too, and even does the same when using the hdmi adapter, displaying the video content on the iPad screen and a "this app does not allow hdmi output" message on the tv. It is most annoying when I'm trying to watch the football (soccer?) and have to fire up my laptop just to get it onto my tv as the sky go Silverlight web app obviously can't differentiate between a tv or monitor connection and so allows me to send the video full screen to my tv via hdmi.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Quote:

agreed - good reader etc on iPad for design reviews to a big TV is really powerful, but its just let down by inability to see the smaller fonts
  • Reply 53 of 73
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I remember when Apple released AppleTV 2 there was some talk about the hardware being capable of 1080p output.

Quote:

It absolutely is, Apple just restricts it because iTunes doesn't have 1080p movies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

Quote:

Hmmm... Am I the only one who's scratching their head?
  • Reply 54 of 73
    I just want to AirPlay on my Mac. I am that unusual? I want to play stuff from my phone and iPad on my iMac screen and also on my MacMini which I have connected to the TV. AirPlay on the iMac is exactly what I want - NOT AirPlay from the iMac argghhhhhhhhhh
  • Reply 55 of 73
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    just wanted to note, those of us who struggled to connect the new Mac Mini back in the day (2005) to our still new HDTV's have to smile: now every Mac will be an HTPC out of the box (well ok, you need an Apple TV too ...)
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:

Now that the iPhone 4s shoots 1080p video, it's time to remove the restriction.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Projector manufacturers should wise up and put AirPlay in their units.

Of course, I suppose I could hook an AppleTV via HDMI....

But that's the point of AirPlay.

In my best mommy dearest voice, "No more wires.!!!"
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Hmmm... Am I the only one who's scratching their head?

I'll clarify.

The current (2nd gen) Apple TV has the ability to output 1080p video. Right now, it does not do this.

It can read 1080p video files (from iTunes and the like) just fine. It reads them in, converts them on the fly to 720p, and displays them as 720p.

This is abject nonsense.

It's done, I assume, because iTunes doesn't sell 1080p content. Apple doesn't want people seeing stuff that looks better than the stuff they can buy in iTunes.

The next Apple TV (box, not a monitor, for heaven's sake) should have an A6 chip in it, meaning zero excuse for not outputting 1080p.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

Now that the iPhone 4s shoots 1080p video, it's time to remove the restriction.

Indeed, though that certainly shouldn't have been the catalyst.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure that in iOS 5, despite AirPlay Mirroring being an OS-wide feature, Apps can be written to choose what content is mirrored. This is how certain games can "mirror" the actual game, while turning the iOS device into a "controller" or "hud".

According the the article on the Verge (who got one of the early evaluation copies, so it's not just speculation):

Quote:

You?re able to play iTunes movies and TV shows, but licensing restrictions unfortunately means the local display gets blacked out. (This is particularly stupid, but it's only fair to blame the studios for such foolishness, not Apple.)

I'm assuming "local display" means my laptop or monitor? And that covers iTunes, but they didn't say anything about Hulu. Surely someone out of the many media outlets and bloggers that have had their hands on Mountain Lion have checked this? It's seems like the first thing that would occur to you upon hearing that the Mac has Airplay.

I'm going to guess that the answer is "no", and that apps can still block Airplay ala iOS.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AAPL has been far more volatile.

Only in pure percentages. Forget what the correct term is, but if you look at the ratio of change of (APPL/S&P) relative to the market for the day and for a 5-30 day period it isn't as big of a surprise. Boy, that barely makes sense, but something like (AAPL%ch,1day/S&P%ch,1day)/(AAPL%ch,5day/S&P%ch,5day)

Or, a "buying opportunity."