Share Sheets, Twitter integration to make Mountain Lion more social

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

While system-wide Twitter integration debuted in iOS 5 and is now coming to Mountain Lion, the new Share Sheets feature in OS X 10.8 will also allow users to quickly share links, photos and videos in a variety of ways.

Share Sheets links will be featured in a variety of applications in Mountain Lion, including Safari, Notes, Reminders, Photo Booth and iPhoto. By selecting the share icon, which is identical to the one found on iOS, users can quickly send content in a variety of manners.

For example, the Share Sheets icon in Safari gives users the choice of adding a link to their reading list, adding a bookmark, e-mailing a page, or sending it to a friend via the Messages application. And in Photo Booth, pictures taken by a user can be uploaded to Flickr, added to iPhoto, or directly set as a buddy picture or account picture.

Another way that Share Sheets can be used is to share content on Twitter. In Safari, the share link can be used to post a link to Twitter, and in Photo Booth a user can quickly change their Twitter profile picture.

Much like the system-wide Twitter integration that debuted in iOS 5 last year, users will be able to sign in once on Mountain Lion and start tweeting from the application they're currently using. In addition to links in Safari, photos from iPhoto and Photo Booth can be shared with the new "Tweet Sheet."

Comments and locations can also be quickly shared on Twitter with OS X 10.8. And with the new Notification Center built in to Mountain Lion, users will be instantly notified when they are mentioned in a tweet or are sent a direct message on the social networking service.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Apple, please buy Twitter and make it the default iCloud ID.

Sincerely,

AppleZilla.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Apple, please give us a tickbox in System Preferences where we can turn off this crap and never see ANYTHING unless we've set it up.

I might want to see the E-mail and Message options, but if I don't have Twitter or Flickr or any of that other stuff, I don't want to see it at all.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I wonder if fb auth at the system level is still being negotiated?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I hope there's some sort of API for plug-ins that push to different services. I don't use Twitter any more, I switched to Facebook. And there's LinkedIn, Google+ and many other social sharing services. I also don't use Flickr, I use Webshots, and there's Picasa, photobucket, etc.

I don't like the idea of Apple partnering with specific social sites and locking me in to using those providers. What if Yahoo mail was the only mail option?

And I agree with the sentiment that if I don't use any of that social garbage then I don't want it cluttering up my UI. If you don't configure accounts, the features should not appear in the UI.

There should probably be a "social media service accounts" preference pane.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I wonder if fb auth at the system level is still being negotiated?

Yeah, right. Let's force every Apple customer signup to some social crap website, or better to all them together.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Yeah, right. Let's force every Apple customer signup to some social crap website, or better to all them together.

No one forces you to do anything with either Twitter or Facebook in iOS or Lion.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I stumbled across some Facebook integration. If you are in QuickTime X you can share to Facebook. It seems to work in conjunction with this seemingly 3rd-party FB app.
    I haven't seen any other Facebook integration even where it makes sense, like in Preview.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No one forces you to do anything with either Twitter or Facebook in iOS or Lion.

These people are ridiculous.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Apple, please buy Twitter and make it the default iCloud ID.

Sincerely,

AppleZilla.

Twitter doesn't seem like the right platform for a quality social network. Social networks need to be centered around more than "tweets". Does anyone else think Apple should start a social network? Apple is really pushing advancements in cameras on the iPhone. I think the camera and iCloud could form the structural basis for a social network.

I think Apple could get a lot of people to join a social network if they focused on keeping social network data private and giving user's control over their own data. Apple should be the mediator between app developers and users and give user's more control of their own data.

Apple would need to make the network available on other platforms. I wonder if that is an insurrmountable hurdle. Although, with iCloud available on PCs, it seems like the framework be coming for launching a social network. Maybe that will be a big feature of 2013.