Apple posts guide for iOS development newcomers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple has posted a new introductory guide for beginners looking to get started developing iOS apps.

Entitled "Start Developing iOS Apps Today," the public guide begins with an overview of how to get set up with the proper tools and then delves into the basic principles of development for iOS and the App Store, as noted by The Next Web.

"This road map provides the perfect starting point for iOS app development," Apple wrote in the document.

The guide starts at a very elementary level, basically assuming that the reader has virtually no knowledge of the app development process. The first step listed is to download the Xcode toolkit from the Mac App Store. The reader is then encouraged to enroll as an Apple Developer in the iOS Developer Program.

The next section, "Jump Right In," then directs the reader to a "Your First App" tutorial on building a simple application to become familiar the tools and the software development kit. Apple then guides the reader through three articles on the fundamentals of iOS app development: tools, language, basic tasks.

Apple also covers the basic principles of development in the guide with sections on frameworks, design patterns, human interface design, app design, and the App Store. It concludes by offering suggestions on next steps for fledgling developers, such as where to find detailed technical information and which documents will help further enrich their knowledge of app development.

The Cupertino, Calif., company has been largely credited with sparking an "App Economy" through the iPhone and the App Store. According to one recent study, the rise of app development has created 466,000 U.S. jobs in the past four years.

“The App Economy, along with the broad communications sector, has been a leading source of hiring strength in an otherwise sluggish labor market,” author Dr. Michael Mandel wrote earlier this month.

California has seen the largest growth in app-related jobs, followed by New York and Washington. In 2011, the average number of wanted ads in the technology industry that contained the word "app" was 45 percent higher than in 2010.

App Economy by the numbers. | Source: TechNet

Apple on Friday began counting down to the 25 billion download milestone for the App Store and is offering $10,000 to the person whose download marks the achievement. The countdown comes a little over a year after the digital storefront reached the 10 billion download mark.

The iOS platform continues to attract plenty of new developers and applications. One recent analysis showed that the number of new apps launching on the App Store has outpaced those from the competing Google Market for Android by three to one.

Apple announced last month that the App Store had 550,000 applications on offer, including more than 170,000 for the iPad.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Don't forget the part where they reject your app 10 times.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

probably because it's buggy or uses a private API.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Hopefully this tutorial will prevent as many developers from submitting crap apps.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Apple's dev docs are vast, usually very complete, and fairly well written. The main issue with them is it's hard to know where to start, so I agree something is needed to guide new developers in. This presentation is too long to sell someone on becoming an iOS dev, and is little more than a diving board into the deep end for those who are already serious about it.

Fortunately, the platform and ecosystem are worth the learning curve for those who will find their way regardless of the daunting 'everything first' docs presentation. The Stanford CS193p videos are about the best way to ramp up, I think (well, the ones before Heggarty's semesters, although he's ok). Stack overflow's invaluable too.

TL;DR - it's still a steep learning curve, even with a marketing slide deck full of paragraphs.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hopefully this tutorial will prevent as many developers from submitting crap apps.

My last application was only rejected twice. First, because they considered it as too simple, should be implemented as web application. Second, because it crashed. After that, smooth, everything ok.

Warning for iPhone developer wannabe, if you are hopping quick cash by submitting craps, don't do it. Not only they will be rejected, you also need to wait for 2 weeks to receive the rejection. Just submit it directly Android Market.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Warning ... developer wannabe, if you are hopping quick cash by submitting craps ... Just submit it directly Android Market [sic].

/Indeed

---

If I'm not too busy with my own studies and p/t work, i definitely would try this and build an app for my line of work. Not going to be a simple or crap one, mind.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Does not happen very often to competent developers.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    LOL I was having this very conversation with a friend last night. He wanted to know how to get into programming, especially iOS. My answer wasn't one he liked, I've been reading mac programming books for 15 years, constantly working on projects, run NSCoder in Portland, try to participate in Cocoaheads as much as possible, grind grind grind.

I told him to do the same, he didn't like that . Hopefully this guide helps him and others out get rolling.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Does not happen very often to competent developers.

This... out of 5 apps I've submitted, only one was rejected one time for the icon.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Do you need to know the maths to program for iOS? Cuz I'm not too good at the maths.

I took Fortran once in college and barely made a C.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Do you need to know the maths to program for iOS? Cuz I'm not too good at the maths.

I took Fortran once in college and barely made a C.

sorry to divert the conversation, but what are maths? Ive never heard that used in the plural before.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

sorry to divert the conversation, but what are maths? Ive never heard that used in the plural before.

That's the British way of saying it.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the British way of saying it.

It's amazing how we absorb language a children that we inherent know what sounds right and wrong despite language being an invention of man. In the US 'maths' sounds wrong but also saying 'mathematic' instead 'mathematics' sounds wrong.

Personally, I don't think there is anything right or wrong way to pronounce or spell in language except when you consider to ability to convey a point but that's a measure of degree not absolutes.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Sorry it was an ever so tiny joke. Activating adult mode - now.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday began counting down to the 25 billion download milestone for the App Store and is offering $10,000 to the person whose download marks the achievement.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Apple have a clock with the countdown to 25 billion Apps and the $10,000 prize

http://www.apple.com/itunes/25-billion-app-countdown/