ABC's 'Nightline' to air inside look at Apple production lines on Feb. 21

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    Deleting the ABC player app from my iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    ABC is owned by Disney, Disney and apple have a great working relationship...I predcit this will make Apple look squeaky clean...
  • Reply 23 of 65
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

You know, I'm getting tired of hearing about Foxconn/Apple facility problems - Apple is ONE of Foxconn's customers .. why is it only Apple being thrown into the spotlight? I'm in no way saying that things can't improve at Foxconn ... what I am saying is, why only Apple?

Because Apple has become absolutely huge, and has to a certin extent prided its self on being recognised as a luxury brand and not just another commodity, and with the praise and cool factor, comes a spot light that does in fact show the wrinkles and blemishes.

bad working conditions in tech factories is bad no matter who the company is, I think its for teh best that it gets brought to light so it can be addressed.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    ortort Posts: 39member
    With as much money as Apple makes and all the attention they are getting over manufacturing in China... the next thing you know this whole thing will snowball and every single electronics manufacturer will start making everything in China. Can you imagine a world like that?
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

It's also not like Foxconn is a concentration camp - the employees do choose to work there - they are not mandated by law to work at Foxconn, they choose to. If it truly is so horrible, they could quit. Again, not saying there isn't room for improvement - there always is - but to act like it is a concentration camp is ridiculous.

Compared to being blindfolded, tied up, thrown naked into a dank hole and starved to death, it is paradise!

But neither my nor your comparisons are relevant to the discussion.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No one cares about some antiquated Xbox or whatever the hell Dell is doing with PCs.

Yup, Apple is the best click bait. Business Insider issued the following story yesterday:

"Microsoft's Chinese Factory Worker Conditions Are The Same As Apple's"

So far it has gathered only three comments. Who cares about Microsoft.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    I would like to see an amateur video made showing the conditions at ABC's suppliers. I'm sure they use lots of Chinese made cables, video monitors, computers, cameras, jackets, shirts, pens, or whatever else.

I'm getting really tired of people who follow the rules getting smeared by boobs on the boob tube.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erann View Post

Yup, Apple is the best click bait. Business Insider issued the following story yesterday:

"Microsoft's Chinese Factory Worker Conditions Are The Same As Apple's"

So far it has gathered only three comments. Who cares about Microsoft.

This all means nothing. It is just another example of how everybody is mean to Apple. It is totally unfair. Apple has the very best conditions, while everybody else has worse. But they always pick on Apple, like forever. It is so unfair that I will never read the New York Times or watch ABC ever again. I bet Android is worse in every way, but the media just likes to make Apple look bad!

/fb
  • Reply 29 of 65
    It's very simple: you can't expect worker's rights to get that much better if the workers aren't allowed to organize or operate a union. That's always going to be the most effective way forward. It's unrealistic to expect the executives at Apple/Foxconn to be labor activists, so reporting these stories as if it's up to Tim Cook or Terry Gou to make things right is childishly naive, IMO. Yes, you can put more pressure on them to make some changes, but it's never going to change enough without an active labor union involved.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    I watched Nightline for years, but that was many years ago when Ted Koppel led. It was disgustingly incompetent all around. And for this, Koppel was awarded numerous journalistic prizes by his peers.

How do I know he and the staff were incompetent? Whenever they discussed legal matters, they had not even a clue about the topic. When they discussed evidentiary rule, they were always wrong, when they discussed court procedures, they were always wrong. When they discussed court opinions, they were always wrong. Many of the times, any first year law student could have discussed the issues more competently, and in many cases, their errors of understanding showed lack of even an 8th grade knowledge. As a lawyer, the errors and misunderstandings were both basic and obvious.

When they discussed other areas in which I had expertise, they were wrong, most egregiously.

So, I had to conclude, when they discussed topics for which I had no or little knowledge, which was many, they must also have been incompetent.

I haven't watched the show for at least a decade. Are they still as thoroughly incompetent? I expect they've gotten worse.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

I

How do I know he and the staff were incompetent? ...

When they discussed other areas in which I had expertise, they were wrong, most egregiously.

So, I had to conclude, when they discussed topics for which I had no or little knowledge, which was many, they must also have been incompetent.

That is how I arrived at my opinion of Consumer Reports.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foregoneconclusion View Post

It's very simple: you can't expect worker's rights to get that much better if the workers aren't allowed to organize or operate a union. That's always going to be the most effective way forward. It's unrealistic to expect the executives at Apple/Foxconn to be labor activists, so reporting these stories as if it's up to Tim Cook or Terry Gou to make things right is childishly naive, IMO. Yes, you can put more pressure on them to make some changes, but it's never going to change enough without an active labor union involved.

It is good to see that you registered in order to stick up for worker's rights.

Thank you.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Deleting the ABC player app from my iPad.

Okay by me. I learned long ago that one should never stand in the way of people who are hell-bent on extending their ignorance!
  • Reply 34 of 65
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

How about doing a story where you go inside some US factories where nobody is working?

Even better, lets have Apple evaluate conditions in an ABC news production facility, or at The New York Times newsroom floor!

I bet everyone there loves their life and everything about the conditions!
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foregoneconclusion View Post

It's very simple: you can't expect worker's rights to get that much better if the workers aren't allowed to organize or operate a union.

I disagree completely, but that's me. Probably not only me, but again.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Freedom of association and formation of voluntary groups is something we take for granted in the West. We should be more grateful.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Corporate CEOs of publicly held companies aren't hired to act primarily as labor representatives. That's a simple fact. You can't realistically expect them to move labor issues forward at the same speed as dedicated labor leaders or unions would. The problem in China is that labor unions are severely restricted, which is why workers have 14+ hour days etc., etc. It really doesn't matter how well meaning Apple or Tim Cook may or may not be when it comes to the working conditions without active unions and labor leaders in China.

That's the thing that's creepy about some of these news stories: they omit the union part, as if it's not relevant. In reality, it's far more relevant than the efforts of Tim Cook or Terry Gou.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    "After this trip, I'll never see an Apple product the same way again."

I smell a gigantic smear piece coming. Name a single network investigative program that ever concluded that the object of its investigation was NOT an evil entity worthy of destruction. You can't can you.

Apple just got too successful for its own good and is now a target. Sad that they are being singled out and others will be given a pass but that's how our culture works these days. Take down the top dog to make an example of them. Analysts have recently reported that AAPL is distorting the stock market big time. If AAPL were included in the Dow Jones Industrials it would be almost 15,000 as opposed to the almost 13,000 it is now. We can't have that kind of disruption. Order must be restored. We can't have a tech company worth more than an oil company. It just does not compute.

1. Watch for a precipitous drop in sales.

2. Watch for a stock price free fall.

3. Watch for a repentant Tim Cook to appear on news programs.

4. Watch for thousands of U.S. Apple employees to be laid off.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Is Apple going to ban ABC from all of their press conferences too?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

If they're as one-sided, hate-filled and empty as you, very possibly.

Actually, I heard from a reliable source that Foxconn workers were killing themselves because they weren't getting the chance to work on Apple products.

I mean, who wants to make shit for Samsung, Motorola, Acer, etc....?

Well we know Slappy will be watching on his six year old Acer P.O.S. running Windows ME. He's already bought a bag of stale popcorn from the local Dollar Store. Expect a full report after the show.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadd View Post

I would like to see an amateur video made showing the conditions at ABC's suppliers. I'm sure they use lots of Chinese made cables, video monitors, computers, cameras, jackets, shirts, pens, or whatever else.

I'm getting really tired of people who follow the rules getting smeared by boobs on the boob tube.

OMG that would make a great bit of satire. I bet they have a lot of unpaid interns.