ABC offers glimpse at 'Nightline' special 'iFactory: Inside Apple'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I can see the response now. If it's an even account or perhaps favorable to Apple, the dirty pro-union libs and/or anti-Apple zealots will write it off as a biased piece concocted by a news organization whose parent company is in bed with Cupertino. And if it's a scathing attack that forever mars the way the world looks at iProducts, it's an honest assessment of the bloodthirsty machine designed by that money hungry tyrant Steve Jobs.

I'm a pro union lib who happens to be thrilled with everything apple, including the very complex previous CEO, whom I would never work for but own all his stuff. I don't think the reactions out there in journalism land will be quite so shallow as you portray. I could be wrong, but I'm just saying.

For people who were making $10/year in a good year, making $1.50/hr is a fortune. Things will improve.

Besides, don't bash politics around here; you might get an infraction like I did.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

I didn't know James O'Keefe hated Apple.

LOL!

I'm sure there are many on here and elsewhere who would believe O'Keefe as long as he spewed hate and disgust towards Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If the video doesn't play (it didn't for me) here is the link

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...5#.T0JZwlFNxc8

There's an app for that, right? Not FLASH! An app!
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

ABC airs a non damning documentary on Foxconn: conflict of interest and lies

NBC airs a non damning documentary on Foxconn: lies

BBC airs a non damning documentary on Foxconn: foreign lies

CBC airs a non damning documentary on Foxconn: communist lies

Some loud mouthed hyperbole laden dude with a microphone and a Sony camcorder airs a scathing report on his blog about the slave sweatshops run by the Illuminati managed Foxconn, secretly owned by Apple: the absolute and unquestionable truth

That just about covers it.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Quote:

I can see the response now. If it's an even account or perhaps favorable to Apple, the dirty pro-union libs and/or anti-Apple zealots will write it off as a biased piece concocted by a news organization whose parent company is in bed with Cupertino. And if it's a scathing attack that forever mars the way the world looks at iProducts, it's an honest assessment of the bloodthirsty machine designed by that money hungry tyrant Steve Jobs.

Don't taint this discussion with your own political views. And certainly don't insult others whose very valid political viewpoint just happens to be different to your own. ("dirty pro-union libs . . . .") I happen to be liberal and a very vocal defender of Apple on this issue. Blame anti-Apple zealots if you like, but it's nothing to do with American politics.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Hope justice is brought to these workers.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    The preview makes it seem this will be pretty balanced.

As for transparency, I'm not sure what more we can ask from Apple. From releasing detailed audit findings + names of all their suppliers, to being the 1st tech company to join the join the FLA, to requesting the most thorough audit in the history of the industry, to inviting news cameras into Foxconn to what is described as near unrestricted access, I can't see any other company having a response that involves more transparency than what Apple is doing. This report will probably be bashed either way, either people accusing it of being too soft, or too negative. But some things can't really be spun, and kudos to Apple for even allowing this and granting this level of access. It will probably be educational for most peopple, giving multiple dimensions of the story and giving the most accurate picture yet at what these factories are really like. My prediction is that the situation in these factories is less dramatic, evil, and sensational that we'd been led to believe, and similar to assembly lines that are common everywhere.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

Don't taint this discussion with your own political views. And certainly don't insult others whose very valid political viewpoint just happens to be different to your own. ("dirty pro-union libs . . . .") I happen to be liberal and a very vocal defender of Apple on this issue. Blame anti-Apple zealots if you like, but it's nothing to do with American politics.

I'm not so sure about that myself.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:

'iFactory: Inside Apple'

Shouldn't it be called 'Inside Foxconn'?

Last time I checked it wasn;t thé same company, or does that not even matter anymore?
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The preview makes it seem this will be pretty balanced.

NGC has a series on super factories. This has more of that feel than an exposé about how Apple is evil.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If I were in charge of things, I'd think about tightening up security with all of the leaks taking place. It's getting to be a joke. Ban all cameras and phones from the factories. Make them all work naked like drug cartels do. As long as the leaks are stopped, then everything is fine. And the punishment for stealing or leaking any info should be extremely severe.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If I were in charge of things, I'd think about tightening up security with all of the leaks taking place. It's getting to be a joke. Ban all cameras and phones from the factories. Make them all work naked like drug cartels do. As long as the leaks are stopped, then everything is fine. And the punishment for stealing or leaking any info should be extremely severe.

So you believe the insanely negative PR for Apple of workers working naked in 'Apple factories' is worth trading for the questionable negative impact of blurry component photos that show pretty much nothing?
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

Hasn't the failure of Flash on mobile platforms been proven well enough? Apple was absolutely right to keep it off of iOS. It's time for websites to stop using it.

Okay. Fair enough.

Looks like I hit a sore spot here. Look at it from my point of view. I'm all comfy in my White House bed. I see a story about Apple, on a Apple website. And to actually see it, I have to get one of my secret service guys to bring me a PC. Make sense to you?

Make it a little easier on me next time. This is my holiday, you know.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Okay. Fair enough.

Looks like I hit a sore spot here. Look at it from my point of view. I'm all comfy in my White House bed. I see a story about Apple, on a Apple website. And to actually see it, I have to get one of my secret service guys to bring me a PC. Make sense to you?

Make it a little easier on me next time. This is my holiday, you know.

Actually, the Secret Service guy brought you a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So you believe the insanely negative PR for Apple of workers working naked in 'Apple factories' is worth trading for the questionable negative impact of blurry component photos that show pretty much nothing?

The working naked part was a little joke, though I do think that security should be tightened up.

I don't really think that Apple has been affected at all because of the whining and lies that a few people have been attempting to spread. Are people buying less iPads, iPhones and Macs? People want their Apple devices, they aren't interested in what some hypocritical, lying douchebags claim.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:

I'm all comfy in my White House bed.

That's the problem. You should spend less time in bed, less time on the golf courses, quit taking a million vacations and actually do something for a change. Earn your money. You work for me.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:

Can't be seen on the iPad, as usual. Time to fire up the iMac.

Will someone at apple please get flash working on iOS? It's been long enough.

Not sure what's funnier.

Your post, or your username.

Either way, it's a fail.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

From the related article at 9to5Mac:

Full disclosure: Disney Corporation owns the ABC News network. The fact that the Steve Jobs Trust is Disney?s largest individual shareholder, coupled with Disney CEO Bob Iger now having a seat on Apple?s board of directors, certainly helped win the official approval from Apple. It also raises questions on a possible conflict of interest with this report.

This just defeats the whole purpose of having an "independent" news organization having free reign inside a factory.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:

I'm going to rewrite your post to:

"I can see the response now. If it's an even account or perhaps favorable to Apple, the dirty pro-union libs and/or anti-Apple zealots will write it off as a biased piece concocted by a news organization whose parent company is in bed with Cupertino. And if it's a scathing attack that forever mars the way the world looks at iProducts, the greedy anti-labor and/or Apple zealots will write it off as a lame-stream media hit piece meant to pander to people's anti-capitalist sentiments.

Of course intelligent people know that the truth is somewhere in between. While, although labor conditions and quality of life are shockingly low by western standards, many Chinese see it as a stepping stone to a better life because a great majority of Chinese live for much less than $1.50 a day. Haivng said that... public pressure to improve working conditions and compensation for those chinese workers is a good thing. If China were able to create a true middle class, then the world would see an economic boom the likes of which we've never seen int he 20th century."
  • Reply 40 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

This just defeats the whole purpose of having an "independent" news organization having free reign inside a factory.

It's about time you realize that Apple has connections with every popular media outlet in the US. You should also realize that Steve Jobs, who has since passed away, was the Disney shareholder, not Apple.