Chinese iPad trademark suit seen as chance for Samsung, Lenovo to gain on Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    edit: ok, I see this has been dealt with.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Presuming the China courts follow their traditions, Apple loses the case and is forbidden to sell iPads in China. Apple saunters over to Chek Lap Kok Airport, and leases a ginormous warehouse to be called "Ye Olde iPad Shoppe". Then they put in a series of "Ye Smaller iPad Kiosks" on the departure level and make sure the embanking arraignments are properly instituted. The they make even more money out of China. Especially when they put iPad kiosks in other international airports.

Cheers
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Maybe Tripple their sales

But less than half the laughs when the joke is beaten to death, not to mention misspelled.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. About 45 units were removed from the shelves.

That will allow Samsung and Lenovo to double their sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

BEST LAUGH IN A WHILE

So insightful

Yeah. Apple losing iPad sales in China because of this? Maybe in China, but even ignoring the offset of black market imports into China, I'm sure Apple ain't shaking in their boots.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john_l_uk View Post

Although most of us on this blog are English speakers the Chinese only speak it as a second language. There has to be a Chinese equivalent in their characters that wouldn't violate the trademark dispute and would probably endear Apple even more to Chinese consumers. After all the word iPad means nothing to the Chinese I just hate the way that these issues bring out the latent xenophobia!

What about i道 iTao!!?

The 'Tao' 道 would really mean something in Chinese - 道 Tao (pronounced Dao) is a Chinese word meaning 'way', 'path', 'route'. of course you'd have to be careful it didn't offend sensibilities because of it's religious connotations..... could be as bad as them serving 'slow-boiled cat' to an American cat lover!

Fair enough, but I think in China, English-based brands and products are very highly sought after.

In Asia, while localised brands in local languages may be relevant, for the high-end of the market, everyone wants the original English version.

Everybody in Asia wants a Louis Vitton, not a "looh eye vee toh" (I think you get what I'm saying, I don't mean to sound mocking).

But of course in Asia they want localised language support (Indonesian, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.)

But the brand must say "iPad" or at worst "Samsung Galaxy" or "Kindle Fire" (not Kindle 火)
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Take a look at the evidence linked below. It clearly shows that Proview and the Banks that seized Proview's assets are crooked to the core and desperate.

http://allthingsd.com/20120216/take-...-ipad-dispute/

How can a court look at this evidence and side with Proview?

Apple has every right to go Thermo Nuclear on Proview.

That's great. This backs up the Hong Kong decision, and it's getting quite clear what the situation is.

And I reiterate my stance on the "bigger picture" ~ in what case does this allow Chinese authorities to have seized, and continue to seize, block, harass iPad and iPad dealers?
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Fair enough, but I think in China, English-based brands and products are very highly sought after.

In Asia, while localised brands in local languages may be relevant, for the high-end of the market, everyone wants the original English version.

Everybody in Asia wants a Louis Vitton, not a "looh eye vee toh" (I think you get what I'm saying, I don't mean to sound mocking).

But of course in Asia they want localised language support (Indonesian, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.)

But the brand must say "iPad" or at worst "Samsung Galaxy" or "Kindle Fire" (not Kindle 火)

I'm sure you're right, this was just a fall-back position for the worst-case scenario of a China-wide ban!
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The company wants billions and an apology. Giving them that to end this would be foolish for many reasons. Agreeing to a lowered extortion rate now would be foolish for many reasons. Apple pays for lawyers so use them. It's not like Jony Ive has to stop engineering so he can work on the Proview case.

I trust Apple will do what is best.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Nobody said china is broke, neihter did I. But Proview certainly is. And such blatantly misjudging by the local court can only be explained by criminal behaviour like being bribed.

Get it? Else I am sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for clarifying that Rabbit Coach, but if Proview is broke how could they bribe the court? Plus I stand by my point that just because they sided with their local boys doesn't mean they're corrupt or bribable just biased in favour of the home team. The law should be above such things but then you're assertion of 'criminal behaviour' isn't exactly fair or measured.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Yeah. Apple losing iPad sales in China because of this? Maybe in China, but even ignoring the offset of black market imports into China, I'm sure Apple ain't shaking in their boots.

This image is beyond hilarious.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't see bribing a corrupt judge or two as doing something wrong or unethical. China is an extremely corrupt country, so you have to lower yourself to their level when playing with them. That's the pragmatic and rational view to adopt.

You know.. you strike me as someone who probably only sounds like a jackass when you post on here. I can't imagine you troll outside of forums. You already know this won't go anywhere because it'll hurt China's economy.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john_l_uk View Post

Thanks for clarifying that Rabbit Coach, but if Proview is broke how could they bribe the court? Plus I stand by my point that just because they sided with their local boys doesn't mean they're corrupt or bribable just biased in favour of the home team. The law should be above such things but then you're assertion of 'criminal behaviour' isn't exactly fair or measured.

the banks will ------proview is in recievership

also the courts won't prevent apple from selling and shipping ipads

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/s...ects-ipad-ban/
  • Reply 52 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

the banks will ------proview is in recievership

also the courts won't prevent apple from selling and shipping ipads

... in Shanghai. All these rulings so far are in local/regional courts.