Apple threatens Proview with defamation countersuit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

What ever ist is, these guys should get some time to think in a local prison. Maybe with these corrupt judges as room mates.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...and Hong Kong is part of which country?

Obviously, Hong Kong is part of the People's Republic of China (Communist China) and not the Republic of China (Taiwan).

Interestingly, a Hong Kong court issued an order some time ago which forbade Proview from claiming ownership of the trademarks in question. Seems to me that Proview is in contempt of court - and could suffer pretty severe penalties for that.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Those who can bake pies do and those who love to eat it, should, but what of those who exist only to slice it, an activity that's ultimately antithetical to either creating or celebrating anything at all? This sort of endlessly protracted waste is the inevitable and ubiquitous consequence of accepting wealth as the primary purpose of existence, and nothing we should encourage, much less embrace.

Ultimately, it's the tedium required to live a life based on fear and greed that shocks me. What sort of people can tolerate, much less embrace, this kind of activity? It's sad, disturbing, and ultimately pathetic ? like reading about someone whose been buried alive under a thousand cats or a million moldering back issues of the New York Times.

However they're resolved, all lawsuits - like the wars they emulate - are first and foremost failures. A lawyer is to a productive human being what an undertaker is to a physician. When the former outnumber the latter, something is terribly, terribly wrong.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Those who can bake pies do and those who love to eat it, should, but what of those who exist only to slice it, an activity that's ultimately antithetical to either creating or celebrating anything at all? This sort of endlessly protracted waste is the inevitable and ubiquitous consequence of accepting wealth as the primary purpose of existence, and nothing we should encourage, much less embrace.

Ultimately, it's the tedium required to live a life based on fear and greed that shocks me. What sort of people can tolerate, much less embrace, this kind of activity? It's sad, disturbing, and ultimately pathetic ? like reading about someone whose been buried alive under a thousand cats or a million moldering back issues of the New York Times.

However they're resolved, all lawsuits - like the wars they emulate - are first and foremost failures. A lawyer is to a productive human being what an undertaker is to a physician. When the former outnumber the latter, something is terribly, terribly wrong.

I can't decide if you are auditioning for a role as Jesus or Frank Zappa. \
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, I doubt if we even know 100%, or anything close to it, if Proview is in the right or in the wrong in this case.

I dunno. I haven't seen a single piece of reliable evidence that even hints at Apple being in the wrong or that anything Proview has said is true at all.

Proview has talked a lot of trash but they haven't actually provided any evidence AFAICS. Apple on the other hand has provided a few, simple, and as of yet uncontested documents that indicate that their point of view is the correct one.

Unless you are talking about the Zen kind of thing about how we can "never know anything for certain," the evidence is as clear as it can get IMO.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Talk about cut off your nose to spite your face. Someone better start bribing someone over there! Isn't the Apple plant in Brazil ready to go on line yet??

If their courts want to pass ridiculous judgements that hurt the interests of such a huge mega company doing business there, let's build Apple products in Brazil and California!!! I'd pay more to not be beholden to the Chinese.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Obviously, Hong Kong is part of the People's Republic of China (Communist China) and not the Republic of China (Taiwan).

Interestingly, a Hong Kong court issued an order some time ago which forbade Proview from claiming ownership of the trademarks in question. Seems to me that Proview is in contempt of court - and could suffer pretty severe penalties for that.

Hong Kong, of course, being one of the special economic/administrative zones, with privileges not available elsewhere in China.

Next time senior Apple guy meets with senior China guy, the former apologizes for his lack of a suitable gift to acknowledge the gracious presence of the latter, because Apple does not wish to cause the latter to break a possible Chinese law.

Cheers
  • Reply 27 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple, go get 'em! Smash them! Destroy the corrupt and criminal buggers!

I want to see them crushed to smithereens. Show no mercy, and then move in for the kill. Don't threaten to do something, just go ahead and squash those nasty little maggots already.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I dunno. I haven't seen a single piece of reliable evidence that even hints at Apple being in the wrong or that anything Proview has said is true at all.

Proview has talked a lot of trash but they haven't actually provided any evidence AFAICS. Apple on the other hand has provided a few, simple, and as of yet uncontested documents that indicate that their point of view is the correct one.

Unless you are talking about the Zen kind of thing about how we can "never know anything for certain," the evidence is as clear as it can get IMO.

You might not have seen it but that isn't to say the evidence isn't there.

Two courts have sided with Proview and a court in Honk Kong has sided with Apple.

Obviously the evidence isn't all that clear.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

You might not have seen it but that isn't to say the evidence isn't there.

Two courts have sided with Proview and a court in Honk Kong has sided with Apple.

Obviously the evidence isn't all that clear.

After seeing those emails and contracts it seems pretty clear to my admittedly untrained eye.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Apple needs to get a hold of Big Brother and let him know there are 400,000 jobs at stake and may have to be moved to Brazil. At least there the judges operate with 'integrity' - meaning that when they accept a bribe, they follow through and deliver.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

After seeing those emails and contracts it seems pretty clear to my admittedly untrained eye.

Look at the contract again. Who is the seller?

Did that entity own the rights in China?
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:

Sure... seems clear, but then again, I'm not the judge.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:

Sure... seems clear, but then again, I'm not the judge.

I'll be the judge of that.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Excuse me for pointing out something obvious

But how can a Chinese entity trademark anything in a foreign language?

I mean that would be like a big company in the China trademarking a series of Manderin characters, building said item in USA and exporting all over the world , and a USA company saying no we have the right to that name, HUH????

Also, The word "iPad" doesn't have an Chinese equivalent does it? by definiton it is they who are copying Apple right?

Do Chinese companies sell anything in China and use English words on the front?

if so why?
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:

I'll be the judge of that.

I would say that the government wants [a judgement] in favor of Apple but at the same time they have to find a way to save face because there is a Formosa angle to the case.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Excuse me for pointing out something obvious

But how can a Chinese entity trademark anything in a foreign language?

I mean that would be like someone here in the USA trademarking a series of Manderin chracters and dsiplaying on a item for sale, stooopid

The word "iPad" doesn't have an Chinese equivalent does it? by definiton it is they who are copying Apple right?

Do Chinese companies sell anything in China and use English words on the front?

if so why?

I don't know what, if anything, they trademarked in Mandarin but they clearly trademarked IPAD in English.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

This potential lawsuit should shut the trash talking from ProView, down for a while.

Yes Zither and his ilk have been warned to tread vey carefully or they could face a suit for defamation
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:

I don't what, if anything, they trademarked in Mandarin but they clearly trademarked IPAD in English.

Sorry to be picky, but can you trademark anything in Mandarin (as opposed to Chinese)?
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Sorry to be picky, but can you trademark anything in Mandarin (as opposed to Chinese)?

I don't know what you mean by "opposed to Chinese".
  • Reply 40 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Sorry to be picky, but Mandarin IS Chinese (at least, it's one of the two most commonly spoken languages in China).