Microsoft Office for iPad said to arrive soon, Microsoft calls claims 'inaccurate'

13567

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 129
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,787member
    Office is actually a more robust monopoly than Windows. They've realized that if they use Office exclusivity as a lure for Windows tablet, they risk losing Office's dominant position. MS will make a ton of money with Office for iPad. I don't know why they're not making a version for Android but suits me.



    Actually, by not making an Android version, they have just revealed that they expect the tablet future to be iOS and Windows.
  • Reply 42 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    While Keynote is fabulous (I've switched) and Pages adequate (I make-do), I've just got too much invested in Excel (with Numbers being just so-so). So, subject to pricing, this is welcome news.



    Totally agree. Numbers is OK for "home" spreadsheet users, but it's hopeless for my office environment, where I'm swapping huge chunks of data back and forth between Excel and JMP.



    I'll be happy to see Office on the iPad. Competition will do Apple good in the long term. It hasn't happened yet, but complacency can kick in quickly, so someone who keeps pushing them is to be welcomed.
  • Reply 43 of 129
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Why should Microsoft give Apple 30% of the selling price?



    Oh, that's right. iPads will only run software bought direct from Apple. Never mind.



    Probably more than 30% of your app is library code.
  • Reply 44 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post


    I understand some of the comments were written with a bit of sarcasm but why do people feel we have to go back to business as usual by getting any software from Microsoft? What part of "Think Different" don't people get? Apple put out a good computer in a tablet form factor, why does that mean you have to immediately put all your old garbage on it? Isn't it time to look for something better or are we so entrenched in an archaic word processing program that we can't let loose of our comfortable "pencil?" I read schools aren't teaching cursive anymore not because it isn't a reasonable way to convey information (Windows Office products) but because the method of information sharing has changed. We're past the Microsoft Office days, let go of that disastrous product and move on.



    Disastrous? Really? The number productivity suite in the world that is so bad that every competing suite must be file compatible with it? That one?

    There is no logical reasoning to your statement. To "Think Different" in this sense would mean to improve upon what already exists, however this is not the case. I would love to see one, beleive me. Please enlighten us and reveal the location of this superior office productivity suite.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    I predict MS will release native apps and CloudOn can kiss their business model goodbye.



    If MS native Office apps won't run VB (you can bet that will happen) then CloudOn and OnLive will have a huge advantage. You can look at Office for Mac and see how crippled MS software for non Windows OS.



    There eis also cost issue. OnLive and CloudOn are currently free. I have no idea how they are making money.
  • Reply 46 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    I suspect that MS will find a way to tie this into their cloud service...



    A bold move?



    That's an interesting question. it seem unlikely to me that the first version of Word for iOS will even work that well. To expect it to sync to iCloud as well as SkyDrive is probably too much so which one will they pick?



    If it's tied to SkyDrive exclusively, they will leave out the bulk of the consumers that might purchase it, if it's tied to iCloud it's like shooting themselves in the foot.
  • Reply 47 of 129
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    While Keynote is fabulous (I've switched) and Pages adequate (I make-do), I've just got too much invested in Excel (with Numbers being just so-so). So, subject to pricing, this is welcome news.



    What's your best guess on price ... I'm thinking it has to be more that iWork apps if only so as to seem better ... maybe $19.99 a module?
  • Reply 48 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    This should help Apple with the struggling iPad line.



    I think it's to little to late. Android tablets on the other hand have... umh..oemh..?



    What do they have again??



    Oh! No Office support? Ahh who needs a tablet for productivity anyway!
  • Reply 49 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Why should Microsoft give Apple 30% of the selling price?



    Oh, that's right. iPads will only run software bought direct from Apple. Never mind.



    Dem's da rulez. Ya wanna play in Apple's sandbox ya gotta pay Apple. Just like everbbody else.
  • Reply 50 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post


    I understand some of the comments were written with a bit of sarcasm but why do people feel we have to go back to business as usual by getting any software from Microsoft? What part of "Think Different" don't people get? Apple put out a good computer in a tablet form factor, why does that mean you have to immediately put all your old garbage on it? Isn't it time to look for something better or are we so entrenched in an archaic word processing program that we can't let loose of our comfortable "pencil?" I read schools aren't teaching cursive anymore not because it isn't a reasonable way to convey information (Windows Office products) but because the method of information sharing has changed. We're past the Microsoft Office days, let go of that disastrous product and move on.



    I know where you are coming from but in fairness ...



    Apple has really dragged it's feet in this area with iWork and even though iOS has been out for five years, no other company has yet stepped up to create even a basic word processor. All we have is a small selection of crappy notes apps, none of which are much better than the crappy notes app Apple supplies.



    Anyone who knows software and considers it objectively knows that Microsoft makes pretty bad software overall. For that reason I am as skeptical as you are about all the folks that seem to want to jump on this bandwagon based only on a jpeg of the word "office" printed on a screen.



    On the other hand though, right now we have one (moderately okay) source for Word processing in Pages. The simple idea of having a choice between two "moderately okay" products is alone enough to get excited about.
  • Reply 51 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Citing anonymous sources, the report added that Microsoft Office for iPad will "soon be submitted to Apple for approval."



    I hope Apple rejects it and makes them do a total redesign.
  • Reply 52 of 129
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    If MS native Office apps won't run VB (you can bet that will happen) then CloudOn and OnLive will have a huge advantage. You can look at Office for Mac and see how crippled MS software for non Windows OS.



    There eis also cost issue. OnLive and CloudOn are currently free. I have no idea how they are making money.



    Office for Mac has VBA (as of the 2011 version), but there is no way to know whether the iPad version will. I suspect it will be cut down somewhat, just due to hardware limitations.



    Unless of course they have been working with Apple, and intend to roll it out as part of the iPad 3 launch, with it's more powerful hardware.
  • Reply 53 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post


    I hope this happens -- it will be great for everybody involved.



    That whole Windows thing was an unfortunate sidetrack for Microsoft. I'd love to see them returning to making great apps for all major platforms.



    Well. That was what they where doing for the original Macintosh back in the day. The had early access to the Mac to develop software for it. Instead they delayed and delayed and started being "inspired" by the WIMP GUI and eventually released Windows 1.0. The rest is as we know history
  • Reply 54 of 129
    Eh, this is a big yawn for me. I've gone this far without it. I don't perceive the need for it now.



    I grant that others will use it though.



    One thing though. I don't believe that Apple will allow Skybox hooks. Because essentially you will have MS using the iPad as the tablet they always wanted to be and knocking iCloud back. Apple won't hamper their own ecosystem by enabling someone else's.
  • Reply 55 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Your point being?






    It would be great if iPad owners were free to buy software from the vendor that they prefer, rather than being compelled to buy directly from Apple.



    IMO, the best setup would be an App Store for those who want to use it due to all the benefits it offers, combined with the ability to buy software elsewhere as well.



    Such a system would offer all the protection that consumers currently enjoy, but would also give them added benefits. It would not, however, be as profitable for Apple, so it will never happen.
  • Reply 56 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    That's an interesting question. it seem unlikely to me that the first version of Word for iOS will even work that well. To expect it to sync to iCloud as well as SkyDrive is probably too much so which one will they pick?



    If it's tied to SkyDrive exclusively, they will leave out the bulk of the consumers that might purchase it, if it's tied to iCloud it's like shooting themselves in the foot.



    I think that MS will target 2 iPad audiences:



    1) The enterprise pro who needs to share/collaborate and use SkyDrive for a fee.



    2) The home user that needs MS compatibility who will use iCloud.



    The same programs can use either iCloud or SkyDrive -- just a matter of what you need and are willing to pay..



    ...That's how I would do it.



    There is definite value to enterprise to have office apps on the iPad with the imprimatur of Microsoft...



    ...This imprimatur may be of greater importance than the cost of the apps or how well they are implemented.



  • Reply 57 of 129
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post


    Um, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote have the exact same features on the iPhone as the iPad. There's no reason for Office to be iPad only.



    .



    Sure there is. MS has nothing to gain from making Android more desirable. They have their hands full with iPad (vs Win8). They don't need to help their main competitor for 2nd.
  • Reply 58 of 129
    Sounds like the Metro Tablet might be even further over the horizon than we thought. And Microsoft software will not run on vaporware. Can't help but think this might be too late (as usual) for Microsoft. People have been using iPads for two years now and have realised that Office IS despensible, they don't have to have it to get work done.
  • Reply 59 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    ... I'll be happy to see Office on the iPad. Competition will do Apple good in the long term. It hasn't happened yet, but complacency can kick in quickly, so someone who keeps pushing them is to be welcomed.



    I'm not "happy" to see it as Microsoft is extremely adept at turning silk purses into sow's ears. I'm sure there will be many stupid UI choices, lots of glitches, it will likely be horrifically ugly and lock you in to one of their stupid services. It will also no doubt be aimed at their core market of business users instead of the average consumers that make up the majority of the platform adoptees.



    I do agree about the competition though.



    iWork has been almost completely stagnant for over two years now. The updates we have seen have been minimal and "required" in the sense that they have only added some functionality when it was made necessary by underlying OS changes. There really couldn't be a better example of the need for some competition in this area.



    Apple has done that thing with iWork that they typically do with software which is make a new product that's all flashy and shiny so everyone switches to it, then do absolutely nothing to it for years either because they never really planned on doing updates or because the guy that wrote the first version went on a ski trip or moved to a different project or something.



    iWork is iChat redux.
  • Reply 60 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Or clever one, they hook businesses into that and then bring a tablet out that has more features relating to their cloud.



    Dick Applebaum and I were just talking about this yesterday. I'm glad to see MS understands its core business.
Sign In or Register to comment.