Safari user sues Google over claimed privacy violation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    I'm not blaming Apple per se, but I'm thinking that if the exploit has been around long enough that it's apparently 'common practice' among scummy advertisers, then I don't understand why Apple is only hearing about it since the tech blogs have brought it to the public's attention.

Tallest Skil - a protected cookie option would be stellar! As for who wants to click 20 boxes before visiting a website, well today, I would. Between my last post and this one, I cleared my cookies, rebooted my computer, and then returned to AppleInsider.

It loaded fifteen 3rd party cookies, to get from the main page to this thread:

Quote:

advertising.com

bestlistonline.info

bkrtx.com

bluekai.com

cdnlayer.com

digg.com

exponential.com

fastclick.com

fmpub.net

google-analytics.com

google.com

googleapis.com

googlesyndication.com

gstatic.com

industrybrains.com

What the heck?! Why even have a setting for 'block cookies from third parties' if it's not going to, say, block cookies from third parties? Are all of those being loaded via this google exploit?

The only site I've been to since clearing them was this one... I'd have liked the opportunity to see the one Appleinsider cookie (allow) and fifteen more (deny).

Edited to add: while typing my post, I removed those fifteen. Submitting the post earned me five of the cookies back in again:

Quote:

bestlistonline.info

bkrtx.com

bluekai.com

cdnlayer.com

google-analytics.com

• Reply 42 of 109
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Interesting read: http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/21/the-last-alliance/

I agree, Apple and Microsoft should definitely form an alliance and go after Google. Oracle can join in too. Plenty of companies should be suing Google and going after them.

Microsoft is no threat at all to Apple today and energy is better spent on going after the real enemies and those who deserve to be taken down.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDavid311 View Post

Oh ok, well I want in as soon as it becomes class action. I HATE Google. Never really did like them at all to begin with, I mostly used other search engines but still used theirs once in a while. Up until Steve Jobs confirmed what I already figured. That Android was a stolen idea. I haven't been to Google site in 2 yrs! And I havent been to Facebooks site in almost 2 yrs either

You haven't been to a Google site in 2 yrs? I'm sorry, but that's very hard to believe, and sounds literally impossible. You do realize that Google owns youtube, right? Among a million other things.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    Quote:

You do realize that Google owns youtube, right? Among a million other things.

Some people don't waste their time with other people's home movies.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

I'm not blaming Apple per se, but I'm thinking that if the exploit has been around long enough that it's apparently 'common practice' among scummy advertisers, then I don't understand why Apple is only hearing about it since the tech blogs have brought it to the public's attention.

What the heck?! Why even have a setting for 'block cookies from third parties' if it's not going to, say, block cookies from third parties? Are all of those being loaded via this google exploit?

The only site I've been to since clearing them was this one... I'd have liked the opportunity to see the one Appleinsider cookie (allow) and fifteen more (deny).

Edited to add: while typing my post, I removed those fifteen. Submitting the post earned me five of the cookies back in again:

According to the WSJ, Google disabled the "workaround" a few days ago after being outed and no longer uses it. The cookie reloading issue you have probably isn't due to Google now. More likely the same trick that Google used is still in action served up by various other websites.

EDIT: I was searching background on Stanford researcher Jonathan Mayer who reported Google's use of the Safari backdoor (apparently first blogged about a couple of years ago? And Apple had no idea?) and see that this cookie-fest isn't his first. He's apparently a well-regarded expert having outed Microsoft in August last year for it's use of Super-cookies. Nearly impossible to delete and with no opt-out button for . . . Safari or Google's Chrome? Like Google they said it was unintentional of course.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/mi...s-it-20110822/
  • Reply 46 of 109
    Blocking cookies is silly. It's a string of text sent from the browser to a server with each request. A cookie for a particular server may only be modified by that particular server. ie; "adserver.google.com"

Does this mean Google can 'track' where you go? Nope. The website you're browsing has to first embed data from Google, and then either your browser or the website must tell Google where you currently are.

Furthermore this issue is over 'P3P'; yet another standard the W3 is trying to force upon the internet which no one actually uses or even is aware of. http://www.w3.org/P3P/ -- they're not even working on it anymore. It's hardly Google's fault if the browsers give them permission to do something the idio--users are afraid of simply because Google ignored the standard.

If you're getting angry over Google setting some text that is sent with requests to their servers; you're either irrational & uninformed or a complete idiot. This is just scum profiting off of your ignorance.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Bullshit! Do you have a 5" Android piece of shit phone in your pocket, which led you to make such an outrageous and ridiculous post?

This is a blatant abuse of privacy and trust, far worse than any so-called outrage or scandal that Apple has been involved in.

For example, I have no problems with having my credit card linked to my Apple ID. No way in hell would I ever do the same when it comes to Google, because I simply do not trust them.

Nope, have an iPhone 4s. What led me to the conclusion? A brain, and a healthy dose of rationality. Look into it.

Were you ready to burn Apple to the ground when they were collecting your location information and keeping a long history of it? Are you ready to burn every other website down that does the same thing, and not just single out Google as if they are uniquely doing something sneaky? All this rage here is usually so one sided and ridiculous, just because of the stupid Google/Apple competition. Do you want to log in to every website and have no shared credentials, like or +1 buttons, or easy bottons to post links to various social media. Do you.. oh never mind, I just give up.

/Flame suit on. Tin foil hat off.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Do you want to log in to every website and have no shared credentials, like or +1 buttons, or easy bottons to post links to various social media. Do you.. oh never mind, I just give up.

+1 buttons, like buttons? I'm sorry, but I'm not 14 years old, and no, I do not want any credentials shared across any websites and no I do not need any easy buttons to post links to various social media.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The technique with IE is different from the technique with Safari. In both cases the vendor of the browser is ultimately the one who let it happen. Not saying there may be some legal issues for Google but the browsers left the door open by mistake. In the case of Firefox they left the door open on purpose.

So if you leave your door unlocked, it's OK for a burglar to come in and take your things? Glad you cleared that up.

What Google did was to install something on your computer without permission - and then steal private information without permission.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Google's don't be evil mantra is bullsh*t.

Google has a horrible privacy rights record. Trying to ween myself off but their search engine is still the best, imo.

There used to be a site called Google Watch, but it appears to have been taken down. It listed dozens of Google's more blatant transgressions.

This one's still available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Watch#Google_Watch

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Everybody hop on the burn Google bandwagon!! Most people are blowing this waaay out of proportion, either due to ignorance, misunderstanding, or an over eager willingness to bash google. Ridiculous.

Or maybe people care about integrity and honesty and don't appreciate Google's endless violations of privacy and intellectual property.

Quote:

Oh ok, well I want in as soon as it becomes class action. I HATE Google. Never really did like them at all to begin with, I mostly used other search engines but still used theirs once in a while. Up until Steve Jobs confirmed what I already figured. That Android was a stolen idea. I haven't been to Google site in 2 yrs! And I havent been to Facebooks site in almost 2 yrs either

I'd also join in a minute.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to the WSJ, Google disabled the "workaround" a few days ago after being outed and no longer uses it. The cookie reloading issue you have probably isn't due to Google now. More likely the same trick that Google used is still in action served up by various other websites.

When did Google start becoming a source that one should believe? They've been caught in so many lies (see the above site) that it would be foolish to listen to them.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Google should remember their motto: ?Don?t get caught being evil."
  • Reply 51 of 109
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Screw up
  • Reply 52 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Screw up

And all five Windows Safari users (myself included), should joi… hey, you edited it.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

+1 buttons, like buttons? I'm sorry, but I'm not 14 years old, and no, I do not want any credentials shared across any websites and no I do not need any easy buttons to post links to various social media.

Me neither!

But there’s a middle option too, that Google/Facebook/etc. could have used: offer those buttons for logged-in users to have for their visible, public purpose... while also bringing added mindshare (pervasive mini-ads) for Google/Facebook... but do NOT give them a little-known stealthy THIRD function, behind the scenes, of tracking people’s actions so the data can be logged forever and sold to advertisers. (Even people, I might add, who aren’t even logged in and have never had Google/Facebook accounts.)
  • Reply 54 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm curious why Google didn't do this to Firefox, Opera, and the rest.

In before "Chrome is WebKit and Safari is WebKit2, so Google would know the absolute ins and outs of Safari better than any others and therefore would be able to circumvent its stuff more easily," because I've already thought of that.

Google just wants to give Safari users the "Full Google Experience" of having your web surfing habits constantly monitored.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Still no slappy ? :-(
  • Reply 56 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

He was put on a time out.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

He was banned. No slapppy ever again.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    Quote:

You haven't been to a Google site in 2 yrs? I'm sorry, but that's very hard to believe, and sounds literally impossible. You do realize that Google owns youtube, right? Among a million other things.

Yes, Im well aware they own Youtube. Of course Ive seen Youtube vids recently, but not on my computers. I dont have time to waste watching other peoples home movies. Google does own alot, but not everything! I dont even have a Facebook acct. I dont get what people see in following everyone elses drama!
  • Reply 59 of 109
    Quote:

Yes, Im well aware they own Youtube. Of course Ive seen Youtube vids recently, but not on my computers. I dont have time to waste watching other peoples home movies. Google does own alot, but not everything! I dont even have a Facebook acct. I dont get what people see in following everyone elses drama!

Interestingly Mountain Lion has links to upload videos to Vimeo... but not YouTube.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Apple's suing all the competitor pants off. they are acting like MS in 1980.

Did anyone sue apple for storing users GPS data on the device and transferring to server , and few other stuff still unknown.