U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command abruptly cancels iPad 2 order

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    An example of "military intelligence".
  • Reply 42 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

... No evidence is required when national security is involved.

Right. Just line them up against the wall and shoot them.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The cold war was a very real threat and I'm sure you'll remember that there were Russian missiles right next door to the US for a short time.

What do you mean by move on? Russia is still not any friend of the US. There is no cold war anymore, but Russia is definitely no ally of the US.

Well in fact, since the Soviet Union fell and now that we have the perspective of history, and now that a lot of those secret documents have been released it's rather clear that it was the USA was the biggest threat during the cold war years.

The Soviets were always ten or more years behind in almost every endeavour and their engineering was so rushed that their equipment was more likely to blow up in their faces than threaten the West. It was the USA that almost went to war several times and the USA that spent most of the cold war doing awful things in third world countries. It was the USA that interfered in the democratic election of governments in South America, Australia, and Africa, and the USA that sold most of the weapons the world used to arm itself during that period. They also *always* had far more bombs and weapons than the Soviets.

The "cold war" mostly consisted of the USA arming itself to the teeth and trying to take over half the world all the while blaming the same thing on the Soviets. I'm not arguing that the Soviets were friendly or well intentioned themselves, they weren't. Totalitarianism is pretty obviously not a good thing.

However, the major threat to world peace and democracy was really from the USA not the USSR and they were the ones that started the arms race and kept it going for the most part. They were the ones destabilising democracies around the globe.
  • Reply 44 of 93
    "Someone's still living in 1970, aren't they?"

Spare us, Comrade. We know your spy app contained hidden code to disable Colonel Austin's bionics so he'd be unable to launch into space in time to save Skylab from reentering the atmosphere.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    Quote:

If I were in charge of the Air Force, I would definitely not use any Russian software, especially when it comes to matters related to security and national defense. A KGB guy is basically running Russia and they are not to be trusted.

True enough. Same goes with any intelligence arm of any country.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coojo View Post

probably like me got galaxy tab 10.1 instead.

yeah im sure they thought about sercurity and went yeah android all the way...NOT.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

An example of "military intelligence".

Thank you for the oxymoron;-)
  • Reply 48 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Absolutely SPOT-ON, Neruda. Most of the tech world knows (believes strongly) that iPad 3 is less than two weeks away from announcement/release. Why in the world would the Air Force want a tablet that is about to be "previous-gen"? My experience with government purchasing agencies is that the very TITLE of the iPad 3 requires that the former PO be withdrawn, rewritten, and resubmitted with the NEW identifier . . . iPad 3 instead of iPad 2.

They can't write the new P.O. until they know the name of the product to put on it. Apple might make the next iPad the 2S instead of the 3. Even the special forces doesn't know what Apple's going to do.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think about half have.

That would be the left half. The right half is still fighting the civil war, Darwin's Theory, and healthcare for women.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    How pathetic - The Cold War is still going on ? Using this rationale, only software developed in the USA is able to be used ? Seriously - if Russia is a significant threat still, then so is Germany, so is Japan. They can't even BUY products from Apple, as they are made in China, not the USA, and hence may contain rogue hardware/firmware/software which will compromise the nation's security (let me put it this way - there are probably more USA programmers trying to bring down their own Govt or "stick it to the man", than there are Russian programmers trying to infiltrate the US Airforce ...). Still, all those gays and commies are a continued threat I guess ...
  • Reply 51 of 93
    This whole story was a bit ironic, seeing how the original Digiplayer in-air entertainment tablet that major airlines began using in 2003/2004 were originally designed by Rockwell Collins, the company behind the B-2 stealth bomber, to keep their flight crews entertained on long missions.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coojo View Post

probably like me got galaxy tab 10.1 instead.

Who cares????
  • Reply 53 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DamenS View Post

How pathetic - The Cold War is still going on ? Using this rationale, only software developed in the USA is able to be used ? Seriously - if Russia is a significant threat still, then so is Germany, so is Japan. They can't even BUY products from Apple, as they are made in China, not the USA, and hence may contain rogue hardware/firmware/software which will compromise the nation's security (let me put it this way - there are probably more USA programmers trying to bring down their own Govt or "stick it to the man", than there are Russian programmers trying to infiltrate the US Airforce ...). Still, all those gays and commies are a continued threat I guess ...

Get a clue about national security, technology and information transfers between governments and then come back and post.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

"Someone's still living in 1970, aren't they?"

Spare us, Comrade. We know your spy app contained hidden code to disable Colonel Austin's bionics so he'd be unable to launch into space in time to save Skylab from reentering the atmosphere.

That is outstanding.

• Reply 55 of 93
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Or maybe after a pilot they decided it was just wiser to use a tablet like the Panasonic toughbook, which can handle some abuse and mild weather/water along with anti-glare screens.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I understand what you are trying to say but oversimplifications of this nature (good v evil) which fail to accommodate the actual complexity of the circumstances are generally not helpful?

If that kind of thinking was thought good enough for a President, surely he is just as entitled to drag his hairy knuckles on the ground too?

Why not ask for the source code, pass it to the NSA to checking, then compile from that under license if it checks out.
  • Reply 57 of 93
    Quote:

...Russia is certainly no ally of the USA and they usually side with every evil country in the world and enemies of the US, whenever there are conflicts.

Evil? Really? Are you that ignorant? Saddam, Osama, Pinochet, Soeharto... just about the majority of tyrants in the modern world were funded/supported/gained their power through US support. It was the US that stomped democracy in Iran first before Khomeini rise into power.

what the hell are they teaching to their kids in the US these days?

And oh, the US just sold $30 billion worth of arms to Saudi, you know a country that have a whopping record of human right abuses (women are forbidden to drive and such).
  • Reply 58 of 93
    what i don't get is, with the amount of resources the US military has, don't they at least have one or two coders that can write an app specific to their needs? Isn't GoodReader written by one developer.
  • Reply 59 of 93
    Quote:

It's a good thing that you're not in control of national security or important military matters.

Russia is certainly no ally of the USA and they usually side with every evil country in the world and enemies of the US, whenever there are conflicts.

I see your simplistic black and white view of the world extends beyond the products you buy. That's refreshing to know. All Russians are evil!! U.S. is good!! Does everyone wear black and white hats in your world, to show which side they are on?
  • Reply 60 of 93
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    deleted by self.