Rumor: Apple ready to retire iDevice dock connector

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 100
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    Maybe you should actually check to see what comes out of the 30 pin dock connector, like:



    Video - VGA/component/HDMI

    Audio - Line in/out



    Did you really thing it was just for power and data?







    Sorry to break it to you, but digital video signal and audio signal are nothing but specialized data. As long as the interface's speed can support the amount of data to be passed through, a USB cable will transport the video and audio signals you mentioned just fine.



    If USB can't transport audio signal, then my USB audio card won't be working at all. And there are monitors with only USB connectors on the market. So it's not a theoretical statement to say, USB can indeed support video and audio connections.
  • Reply 62 of 100
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post


    Sorry to break it to you, but digital video signal and audio signal are nothing but specialized data. As long as the interface's speed can support the amount of data to be passed through, a USB cable will transport the video and audio signals you mentioned just fine.



    If USB can't transport audio signal, then my USB audio card won't be working at all. And there are monitors with only USB connectors on the market. So it's not a theoretical statement to say, USB can indeed support video and audio connections.



    That is true, but that changes it from being a direct wiring to your amp to needing an intermediate chip and power supply to convert the data to a signal if your amp doesn't have USB audio built in.



    Video out, I don't know much about that setup, but still would generally require a chip in between your iOS device and your display.



    I think they're both unnecessary complications vs. the existing system. If sending out a raw stream goes away, I would expect that Apple would just standardize on the wireless AirPlay system, that does away with intermediate cables, signal converters, etc., and it seems a lot of devices are starting to include that capability now.
  • Reply 63 of 100
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I think 802.11n is fine for wireless transfers. It's mainly just syncing so the transfers are small. I like the idea of having magsafe but it will still be connected to USB for Windows compatibility.



    BT 4.0 is around 24 Mbps but that's just BT 3.0 + HS and THAT's just BT + 802.11.



    Although if I remember right they tweaked it a little bit.



    My transfers are often large (movies) and if the iPad really becomes more of a productivity tool I can imagine I would want to keep the 30 pin dock connector with some of the pins for TB.



    You guys forget this patent already?



    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...connector.html



    No more composite or audio out.



    Hey look ma! USB 2.0 AND 3.0. PC users will be just fine.



    Audio and Video docks, not so much.



    Good luck with that prediction kkerst. Not this year.



    I will make the prediction that we will see this new dock connector on the iPad 3 and iPhone 5.



    See, that's a verifiable prediction. In a few days we'll know if I'm right or wrong.
  • Reply 64 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post


    Anyway, future should totally be wireless everything. We already have wireless data transfer and wireless charging.



    agreed. Wireless charging with an adapter instead of a cord
  • Reply 65 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    If people on this site call you crazy there's a good chance you're onto something because they hate ideas and they certainly won't tolerate common sense criticism of Apple.



    IMO if people on this site call you crazy there's an even better chance that your just a petulant fool who can't stand to be wrong, and blames the messenger when their mistakes are pointed out to them or things don't go their way.



    PS - not talking about anyone specific here just the whackadoodles and trolls in general.
  • Reply 66 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timbit View Post


    agreed. Wireless charging with an adapter instead of a cord



    There are issues with wireless charging. Most notably it's slow. I'd love to option to buy a 30-pin connector cable for iDevices that would terminate at Thunderbolt to get the 10W charging from my Mac. The iPad takes too long over USB as it is.
  • Reply 67 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danbirchall


    The EU is requiring micro USB as a standard, yeah. There's been talk of Apple just supplying an adapter to go between that and the 30-pin connector. But honestly, micro USB is smaller than 30-pin, and not just by a little bit - by a lot. It would be really nice to be able to carry just one cable and use it interchangeably between my phone, my external hard drive, and my DSLR.

    Micro USB doesn't carry the signal pins that Apple uses. It's just USB. Apple's dock connector carries audio, video, control information, etc.



    \t

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post


    Micro USB doesn't carry the signal pins that Apple uses. It's just USB. Apple's dock connector carries audio, video, control information, etc.



    @ chabig - Exacty. The way things are now you can connect the iPhone, iPad, or iPod to at projector and show video, presentations, or more (the pico projectors are really handy!), but if Apple replaced the dock connector with USB that would no longer be possible. Fine for danbirchall who never considers such a use, but bad for all of the other users who depend on such possibilities. However, if Apple figured out a way to stream the video wirelessly that could be easily taken up by the market, then I wouldn't have too many objections to removing the dock connector. Although it will be hard to replace the physical strength of the dock connector. Many dock accessories would be impossible if the connector wasn't so strong.
  • Reply 68 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    IMO if people on this site call you crazy there's an even better chance that your just a petulant fool who can't stand to be wrong, and blames the messenger when their mistakes are pointed out to them or things don't go their way.



    PS - not talking about anyone specific here just the whackadoodles and trolls in general.







    Wait - do you seriously think that The Fox and the Grapes is somehow connected to "Don't Shoot the Messenger"?
  • Reply 69 of 100
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I'd rather Apple do something like Samsung's Pogo connector. It allows for very easy drop-in docks. It's less cumbersome than even Magsafe.



    Or go all the way and create an inductive 'dock'. Touchless charging and data exchange.
  • Reply 70 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Wait - do you seriously think that The Fox and the Grapes is somehow connected to "Don't Shoot the Messenger"?



    They are yes, although neither one really fits the psychology of this situation exactly which is why my statement probably sounds a bit confused.
  • Reply 71 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    They are yes, although neither one really fits the psychology of this situation exactly which is why my statement probably sounds a bit confused.



    How is Aesop's The Fox and the Grapes connected to punishing a messenger on account of the news he brings?
  • Reply 72 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post


    Will there be an adapter that allows you to charge the new iPhone with micro usb on the 30pin iPhone docks.



    No way is Apple putting Micro-USB in anything of theirs.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post


    and if they move to a standard interface (that is, open it up) it might change my absolutely negative image of the company and everything it stands for.



    Oh, so Thunderbolt, then.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Third parties will produce adapters.



    Not when most of the docks/connectors require the devices to be seated properly. You'd trust an adapter 1/4" thick underneath your iDevice there wobbling in the accessory?
  • Reply 73 of 100
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post




    Imagine two people with iPads exchanging files, just take the pen, plug it in, copy and you're done. They don't need to show the filesystem directly, it can just load up discovered files inside the individual app view.



    Bleck the ipad's speeds would be limited regardless of connection type. The memory used there has a relatively low maximum write speed compared to the non idevices.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post




    Oh, so Thunderbolt, then.




    Somehow I figured you'd say that. It looks cost prohibitive at this time. While mass adoption would bring the cost down, I'm not sure it will be in line with usb at any foreseeable point.
  • Reply 74 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    There are issues with wireless charging. Most notably it's slow. I'd love to option to buy a 30-pin connector cable for iDevices that would terminate at Thunderbolt to get the 10W charging from my Mac. The iPad takes too long over USB as it is.



    Can't charge without a cable to power somehow, unless you create energy (literally) out of thin air. Energy is neither created nor destroyed. You could always slap solar panel the size of a city block to back to your iPhone.
  • Reply 75 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    Can't charge without a cable to power somehow, unless you create energy (literally) out of thin air. Energy is neither created nor destroyed.



    You realize that inductive charging exists, right? You don't HAVE to have a cable, but there's no tech that exists yet that allows Apple to do what they want with it.
  • Reply 76 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    You weren't even right about what the article was about.



    And people can be accidentally right about an outcome but be completely crazy as to why they expect something to change. So why do you think that no physical connector will occur on upcoming iDevices.



    I never said get rid of all connectors, I said they should get rid of the big ugly 30 pin connector they're using now. They could have a proprietary connector for power charging alone, everything else can be handled through AirPlay and wireless syncing - yes, even audio in could work. They have been driving towards this for awhile. And who cares if wireless syncing is slow? What else do you have really have to do when you're syncing anyway?
  • Reply 77 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    People on this website called me crazy when I said Apple should ditch the dock connector. Based on this new information, who's laughing now? I was right.



    It's not crazy nor dumb when its Apple's idea, but when a simpleton like you comes up with it you get the dogpile treatment.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcqdz...e_gdata_player
  • Reply 78 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    You realize that inductive charging exists, right? You don't HAVE to have a cable, but there's no tech that exists yet that allows Apple to do what they want with it.



    Yep, but your device must still be attached to a base unit, even if it's through the air, it's not across the room as most people are assuming. We're talking a quarter of an inch at best for a distance. People wanting this technology don't understand extremely basic physics (or it would have been done already.) If it would have been possible, don't you think the power companies would done this along time ago and do away with power lines? Of course they would have, but since it's not possible to transmit energy, we're stuck with a cabled approach for power delivery. The best approach they have come up with is burying the cable, but that's just out of site out of mind. Yes, I'm an engineer and I know more than two cents about this topic.
  • Reply 79 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


    It's not crazy nor dumb when its Apple's idea, but when a simpleton like you comes up with it you get the dogpile treatment.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcqdz...e_gdata_player



    Thanks dude, although simpleton? Hehe, ok. I have been on this site for a long time but I usually don't comment too much. I'm constantly amazed how people screw topics into the ground and have no idea what they're actually talking about. Still, it's entertaining.
  • Reply 80 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    Yep, but your device must still be attached to a base unit, even if it's through the air, it's not across the room as most people are assuming. We're talking a quarter of an inch at best for a distance. People wanting this technology don't understand extremely basic physics (or it would have been done already.)



    Wait, wait, wait, you're telling me this isn't safe?











    Quote:

    The best approach they have come up with is burying the cable, but that's just out of site out of mind.



    Gave us a safer backyard, at least.
Sign In or Register to comment.