Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: Share Sheets put AirDrop, Twitter, Vimeo sharing everywhere

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Twitter doesn't show up unless you've configured an account. But based on your comment, it looks like you are all in favor of being able to share worthless little bits of personal information that nobody cares about. That's what Twitter is for buddy.

Hahahahahaha!

Priceless comment.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Nice recursive reference in the first picture ("ShareSheet.png").

(The Preview app itself allows sharing)
  • Reply 23 of 37
    YouTube and Facebook might be more useful for population, but I find that Vimeo and Twitter are (respectively against their competitors) much better designed and Apple-esque, and likely both candidates for future acquisitions by Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    2012 should not conclude without Apple acquiring Twitter. Just sayin'

Yes Twitter is not for sale, but that's just talk. They'll eventually sell. And if MS (Multiple sclerosis) or Google (Big brother) buy them I won't ever get over it.

Apple just isn't good at social and this opportunity will not come again. Apple has a chance to acquire the best social network on the planet and I hope they get a deal inked. What's more, Twitter 4.0 marked the time where Twitter began to fuck with their users. There's no reason to lame the app the way they did. Twitter 3.0 was a far faster, more efficient and better app to use all round.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

YouTube and Facebook might be more useful for population, but I find that Vimeo and Twitter are (respectively against their competitors) much better designed and Apple-esque, and likely both candidates for future acquisitions by Apple.

Yeah I hope they buy both.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I know this is only beta but the absence of any Google services is pretty obvious. A few years ago YouTube would have been the most prominent sharing option.

As others have said and I have said repeatedly, Apple should update and move Galleries to iCloud.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Netimoon View Post

iKnow. And that is why some people want Apple to bring the feature into iCloud.

+1

All these social network sites are no replacement for the likes of Galleries for those of us who prefer not to use them for client work. Plus given Apple already is storing so many pictures on the cloud, surely supporting galleries would be easy. I will have to create my own with Aperture or Lightroom and host them, not a problem but not as fast and simple.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bolskevite View Post

I would argue that Google actually saved YouTube. YouTube has huge operating costs and it would have gone out of business without all of those ads.

It might surprise you but there are other business models beside advertising.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

That is one of the reasons why I'd rather download a Youtube clip and watch it off-line than view it on the website. A lot of options to download the clips and I don't run into any of the ads.

What still lets you do that? I have had software that did but it has all broken.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Not for Google. Collecting as much information as possible and then leveraging that is about the only thing that they have figured out how to do well. In other words they are great at invading your privacy and making money off of it.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

2012 should not conclude without Apple acquiring Twitter. Just sayin'

Yes Twitter is not for sale, but that's just talk. They'll eventually sell. And if MS (Multiple sclerosis) or Google (Big brother) buy them I won't ever get over it.

Apple just isn't good at social and this opportunity will not come again. Apple has a chance to acquire the best social network on the planet and I hope they get a deal inked. What's more, Twitter 4.0 marked the time where Twitter began to fuck with their users. There's no reason to lame the app the way they did. Twitter 3.0 was a far faster, more efficient and better app to use all round.

Agreed.

(well, either buy or have a strong exclusive partnership with them)

Twitter is right on the cusp of being completely ruined with advertisements also. Right now it's just a bunch of garbage in the background that you can mostly ignore, but very soon we will have so many advertisements in the feed that it won't be worth using.

If it was just part of the Apple suite of online services, it wouldn't need advertising at all.

If it tries to make it alone, it's just a matter of time before something else comes along and people abandon it in droves.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    What ads? Apparently people tell me there are VIDEO ads before you get to watch the video you came to see.

Never seen them. It's hilarious how many people refuse to use AdBlock these days. I've never seen a single ad on YouTube. No pop-ups, no on-page, no pre-video. Nothing.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    So does all this "sharing" mean that OS X will be vulnerable to the same dirty tricks that iOS app makers have been using to copy users' address books without their consent?
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

For a content-based business like YouTube, the realistic options are to keep the site free and use advertising, or to charge people for the service (either to view content or to upload content). I doubt that most people would be willing to pay to use YouTube (or Google or Facebook for that matter) and so advertising is the best business model.

See this article from 2009 about the state of YouTube when Google took it over: http://articles.businessinsider.com/...-credit-suisse

Without Google there is a good chance that YouTube would have gone bankrupt. The same could be said of Skype, which still operates at a negative and has been saved by Microsoft (a bad purchase in my opinion).
  • Reply 35 of 37
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I sure hope you can turn it off, and never see it. Even better would be if you could uninstall it. I don't want anything that says "Twitter" in my computer.

I was about to reply with the same question, but from a different perspective. I do not want to make it so accessible to have my employees share confidential project information on the web, accidentely.

And I just don't like an operating system to hand pick these services for me. At least make this something which is configurable, and provide us users with alternatives for each type of service, like Facebook, instagram or whatever.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I can't say now Vimeo compares to YouTube, but I'm ready for a video site other then what I currently experience on YouTube; Before I can see the YouTube clip, I have to sit through a commercial as long as the clip, then have the lower third or quarter of the screen blocked by a pop-up ad for Google+ that I have to click a small box to get rid of. Google has ruined what was once a great site.

One way to beat Google is to right click on a YouTube video in Safari and download it to your desktop. While that is downloading look top right and see if there is a sequel or another part of the video as some multipart clips are limited to ten or twelve minutes. Quickly get that loaded and as soon as it starts to play download that one too. Rinse and repeat for all you need.

Start Quick Time and drag one video after another to QT so they are merged. Save as one huge new video. I drop that into iTunes and copy it to my special playlist to either view in iTunes or Air Play on Apple TV or the iPad.

I do this with out putting up with anything, Flash or Google to spoil my day.

Only an idiot would use Google Chrome on a Mac and expect to be able to do this with out dealing with intrusive Google ads and difficulties in downloading the video to your own desktop for total control.

If Google ever inserted ads you could trim them out using QT.

Safari and QT are remarkable tools if used correctly.
  • Reply 37 of 37

I sure hope you can turn it off, and never see it. Even better would be if you could uninstall it. I don't want anything that says "Twitter" in my computer.

If it was just part of the Apple suite of online services, it wouldn't need advertising at all.

If it tries to make it alone, it's just a matter of time before something else comes along and people abandon it in droves.

[url=http://www.mmoggg.de/]wow gold[/url]|[url=http://www.mmoggg.de/Diablo-3-gold/]diablo 3 gold[/url]|[url=http://www.mmoggg.de/]günstig wow gold[/url]