Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

(I don't think anyone else got this)

Just not that funny...
  • Reply 42 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

And that's the case because of inexpensive labor in China, relative to here in the U.S. If the labor costs were 10x ($17.50/hr instead of $1.75/hr), assembly would no longer be a tiny portion of the total costs. Presumably, Brazil is somewhere between.

Brazil's minimum wage is equivalent to US$2.48, so I think probably leaning more towards China than the US if your figure is correct.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Brazil's minimum wage is equivalent to US$2.48, so I think probably leaning more towards China than the US if your figure is correct.

The US federal minimum wage is $7.25, not $17.50.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:

However as has been discussed many times it is much more expensive to manufacture in the US if not just the taxes, insurance and environmental protection as well as land value among many other considerations.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    It is possible to edit your own post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The US federal minimum wage is $7.25, not $17.50.

I realize that, but the likelihood of paying minimum wage in Brazil for manufacturing work is a lot higher. Average manufacturing wages easily run to $20/hr and up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

However as has been discussed many times it is much more expensive to manufacture in the US if not just the taxes, insurance and environmental protection as well as land value among many other considerations.

Yes, but I wasn't really talking about that. I really don't think these things will be made in the US, that wasn't my push here.

I found some relevant figures: http://www.worldsalaries.org/brazil.shtml

Manufactoring average monthly income $ 318 /mo for 44.2 hours /wk, working out to be US$1.76/hr . Maybe some figure is incorrect somewhere.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    Quote:

It is possible to edit your own post.

Really? After only a little over 4,000 posts I'm still just getting the hang of this new fangled system.

No, sorry, I was thinking you might already have started replying to the first post while I was considering what to write in the second one which was sort of an after thought, so I decided to make it two different replies.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:

*weird It's a prison!! talk*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

If you knew anything about the crime and murder in Brazil, you'd be wondering why it didn't look worse.

Indeed. We don't live in Sweden.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:

Doesn't matter that much because of enormous taxes screwing up everything. Everything but food is much more expensive than in the U.S., and in turn, than China.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

That place looks like a high-security supermax Prison facility, in that photo. So that is where they are building the iPhones? I wouldn't wanna work there.

"Foxconn: Where dark totalitarian 1984 really is a reality."

Have you ever worked in any kind of a factory? I have. The Foxconn facility looks like a chip fab clean room in comparison!
  • Reply 50 of 52
    And in Brazil will accurately create Iphone ?
  • Reply 51 of 52
    chrisdfchrisdf Posts: 29member
    That place looks like a prison.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    In countries with high crime rates, companies usually take extreme measures to protect both their places of business as well as their employees.