Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

In the 2 years I have been using iPad I have used up close to 2 terra bites

That's 2.7 gigs PER DAY.

Quote:

Hopefully this will end throttling!!!

No, this will just make it worse. All carriers will simply remove their unlimited plans entirely, put further caps on already capped plans, and start charging more depending on the time of day you access their data.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LMGS View Post

If the limited plans are sold by GB, then I'm assuming that means the unlimited plans means unlimited GBs..

But that doesn't mean you have unlimited SPEED...

Unless the plans guarantee a certain speed for the entire month, then AT&T has every right to limit the speed they give you..

Sucks, but that's the way it is..

CEO Randall L. Stephenson? That you?

Judge says otherwise. Pay up, AT&Thieves.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Seems to me that AT&T unlimited data plan is actually that. Unlimited data but not unlimited speed. The top 5% of bandwidth users still get unlimited data but at reduced speeds. I may havr a minority opinion bit it seems fair to me. Why should the many suffer for the needs of a few?

Exactly who is 'suffering?'

Not counting where they have spotty coverage, I only have issues with AT&T data when I am in an area of really concentrated people. Such as in a very large city center or at a concert or sports event.

AT&T just needs to beef up their network in heavily populated areas. 90% of where I go, I have excellent data speeds.

The 5% thing has been proven a myth by the fact that in one city, you get throttled at 5GB, while in another, 2GB.

Pay up, AT&T. I will be filing next week.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Great. The millions of grandfathered users should follow suit.

I plan to.

Matt Spaccarelli called Leo Laporte on The Tech Guy live today. Interesting conversation.

http://live.twit.tv/

I suggest watching it when it repeats later or watch/listen to the 2/25/12 podcast.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luckyw View Post

"was awarded $850 on claims" AND THEN... "awarded him for $85 for the remaining 10 months of his contract"

So is it $850 or $85? That's a big difference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unother View Post

Sounds like $85 per month but yes they should edit.

And then...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post

It is $85 a month for the 10 months in his contract, so a total of $850 for the 10 months.

Seemed pretty clear to me too. Or maybe it was already edited?
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Seems to me that AT&T unlimited data plan is actually that. Unlimited data but not unlimited speed. The top 5% of bandwidth users still get unlimited data but at reduced speeds. I may havr a minority opinion bit it seems fair to me. Why should the many suffer for the needs of a few?

In the 60s, if a company advertised a service and didn't produce it, they'd be fined by the government in charge of monitoring consumer affairs. If the company sold you a contract and advertised it as unlimited usage and claimed to have the fastest speed than money can buy, any judge would hold them to that contract. It was false advertisement.

Today, the Telcos advertise they have the fastest and most reliable network, and some contracts that are still unlimited. IMO that means normal speed AND unlimited data. If they sold tiered speed and tiered data plans that's a different story, but they sold me an unlimited data plan at the normal network speed they offer. I believe that anything less is reneging on the contract. And the Telcos should be penalized just as if I reneged the Telcos penalize me.

So what is different? Proper regulation and enforcement. If the federal government won't fixed this then the States should step in. Neither governments will do it unless we the people make them. So our predicament is our our fault for allowing it to happen. We had control before through regulation in the 60s and later that muscle broke up Ma Bell's tactics, but we got lazy. Stop whining and start acting, by showing the Telcos with your wallet and the government with your vote, that we the people aren't going to take it anymore.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Let me guess , so he gets $850 as reward but still end up with a throttled account. Am I right? (didnt read)
  • Reply 68 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Let me guess , so he gets $850 as reward but still end up with a throttled account. Am I right? (didnt read)

That sounds about right.

Though the money is to pay for the remainder of his indentured servitude to AT&T, after which it's implied that he won't ever be returning.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Data Hogs ruin it for everybody else. They make us pay higher bills and slow down our connections.

You people that believe this FAIL at economics 101. A basic principal in economics is "...a good or service will sell for whatever the market will bear, regardless of the cost to produce...". That means, if a good or service can sell for $50 a month, if it costs AT&T $45 to produce that service, or $25 to produce it, it will still cost you, the consumer, $50 a month - because that is the price you're willing to pay for that service.

Data hogs may increase the cost to provide the service, but it doesn't increase your price for that service. If data hogs were eliminated completely, AT&T would not drop the price of your service $0.01 a month. They will, however, try to use that excuse when they attempt to bump up the price of their service. In the end, though, they may or may not lose subscribers for it, and that will readjust their pricing to what the public is willing to pay. Some products even sell for less than they cost to produce, because the public isn't willing to pay any more. The Bugatti Veyron actually loses money for ever one sold - reportedly $2.5 million. Volkswagen, who owns Bugatti, builds them to make a statement, and nothing more.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Regardless of the dollar amount of the award, this establishes a legal precedent against AT&T. Do you think that there will be more lawsuits to follow? Do you think that AT&T is worried? Do you think that the attorneys for AT&T will be working late evenings in the weeks to come?
  • Reply 71 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

You people that believe this FAIL at economics 101. A basic principal in economics is "...a good or service will sell for whatever the market will bear, regardless of the cost to produce...". That means, if a good or service can sell for $50 a month, if it costs AT&T $45 to produce that service, or $25 to produce it, it will still cost you, the consumer, $50 a month - because that is the price you're willing to pay for that service.

Data hogs may increase the cost to provide the service, but it doesn't increase your price for that service. If data hogs were eliminated completely, AT&T would not drop the price of your service $0.01 a month. They will, however, try to use that excuse when they attempt to bump up the price of their service. In the end, though, they may or may not lose subscribers for it, and that will readjust their pricing to what the public is willing to pay. Some products even sell for less than they cost to produce, because the public isn't willing to pay any more. The Bugatti Veyron actually loses money for ever one sold - reportedly $2.5 million. Volkswagen, who owns Bugatti, builds them to make a statement, and nothing more.

Data hogs ruin it for everybody else. They slow down our connections.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Data hogs ruin it for everybody else. They slow down our connections.

Not necessarily true. According to a study by Validas, throttling mobile users doesn't improve network bandwidth, nor does it improve network stress. It's just price gouging on the part of the carriers.

http://www.geekosystem.com/wireless-data-throttling/
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post

It is $85 a month for the 10 months in his contract, so a total of $850 for the 10 months.

The post clearly says $85 for EACH of the 10 remaining months. 10 months @ $85 per is $850.00
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samolapa68 View Post

The post clearly says $85 for EACH of the 10 remaining months. 10 months @ $85 per is $850.00

That's EXACTLY what he said. I don't see why you had to 'correct' him.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

word...I guess because technically it's unlimited...

I have unlimited data on T-mobile and when they throttle it goes from like (random numbers follow) 500kb/s to like 1kb/s

How is that even usable AT ALL.

If you're going to throttle they should at least not be complete dicks about it.

Agreed. If it's unlimited it's unlimited. If it's throttled then throttle to 256kbps. If it's unthrottled then cap at 5GB, 15GB or whatever. Horses for courses, let the consumer choose what's best for them.

All mobile telcos should just stand up to the plate and give us the straight talk, no BS.

I think the telcos are afraid if people realised how much they have been paying for the paltry amount of data they use for voice and SMS (25c a message? Really?) ... They would be a rebellion.

Instead of fear, telcos should embrace that fast, reliable, beyond 3G mobile data is what consumers want, and they should figure out how to deliver this. They have the talent, I don't think any of us lose sleep over AT&T, Verizon and their ilk.

In any case like I mentioned I just got 15mbps DSL, and it's the only way to fly. Can't imagine having anything else. I've dropped my data pack for my 3G from 12GB (was tethering) to the stock standard 1.5GB per month on my plan. The next time I get back into huge consumption of data, I'll probably only do it for LTE at at least 15mbps, nothing less.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I hope two things comes from this. 1) That several 1000's of throttle customers sue AT&T in small claims court. 2) That AT&T (and Verizon/TMobile) change their stance on Unlimited data.. and keep it truly UNLIMITED. I believe Sprint is the only company that delivers truly unlimited data with no throttling.

The only thing that will come of this is AT&T will simply give everyone on the unlimited plan a few months notice that they are discontinuing the unlimited plans, and you will be moved to the 3GB plan whether you want it or not.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

My problem in this fiasco, is with the AT&T contract. Unlimited data should mean no caps. But, a bigger problem with it is thinking that a TOS can stop you from joining a class-action suit. I'm not a lawyer, but I think such no TOS can be binding to sign away rights to representation in the courts. Doing so would set a precedent in Law. AT&T might get away with getting you to agreed, but that's because it hasn't been challenged effectively. There are other parts, in this realm, in that TOS I believe are suspect.

Lawyers please way in??

Not a lawyer, but my brother is. Unfortunately, you're wrong. TOS are used all the time to stop you from accessing the courts. It's becoming a huge issue. It's used a lot with credit card companies and such. They state that you're giving up your right to sue and that you must go through an arbitration process or what not. As with all things legal, it will only be this way until someone successfully sues (as a separate action) to prevent companies from doing this.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    As for the topic at hand: You're going to see more of this. Eventually AT&T is going to be forced to change its capping policies. It's clearly a violation of contract for folks with unlimited plans.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    From 9to5Mac today:

AT&T is now getting ahold of their throttling plans by laying out the numbers which will get users put into the ?reduced data scenario?. Instead of the sliding scale ?top 5% of users? which often was people under 2GB, they now have a hard maximum of 3GB for HSPA users like those with iPhones and 5GB for their new LTE offerings. Users will receive a warning the first time but won?t get a notice thereafter.