New Apple Stores to open in Europe, Australia and North America

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I wonder how apple's customers are going to feel when they realise their shinny new mac can't set a more legible dpi for fonts thus enlarging them system wide for usability and all its fonts will be prey to whatever native resolution said mac they bought has. They might be a tad disappointed as well when they most likely will have trouble connecting to their smb shares in nas drives, home or office networks, and they certainly won't be able to search said network via the finder. I am sure they are also going to have a ball witht the indescernible monochromatic hell of lion which is of course all about contnent. Some of them will also be rushing to their local optometrists to make do with the glares galores of the untreated glassy surfaces where the glass is not even fused to the screen.

Cool story bro. Keep sharing your imagination/fantasies/schizophrenic dreams with us, because that's exactly what they are, and nothing more. From your countless posts you obviously despise Apple, their products, their software, and everything they stand for. It's mind-boggling why you have such a high number of posts on these forums and insist on spending so much time here, instead of buying products you actually like, and spending time on forums of those products. I will never, ever understand people like you.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

This store looks like a repurposed trolley barn. Rip it down and make a glass cube, please.

I have visited this store, as I have many elsewhere. This might not appear all that impressive in an image but in actuality is quite good. What was impressive however, was the number of employees on the floor one Sunday afternoon. This store has a single floor, I believe that Apple does not even own the upper one and I estimated that there were over 50 employees busy on one occasion. It is not at all surprising that another is planned, especially considering Perth's isolation, being one of the most remote cities on Earth. The nearest city of comparable size (over 1.5 million people), Adelaide, is 2,137 km (1,328 miles) away and the nearest foreign capital, Jakarta is 3,004 km (1,867 miles) away. As in many other cities, I doubt that there is another store as profitable per square metre as the Apple store in Hay Street.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Is there one in Indianapolis? An excuse to go to Trader Joe's on the same trip for some cases of Three Buck Chuck.

I love Bloomington. You are right, it deserves an Apple store, even if there's not enough of a market. What about the IU Bookstore? Not even? Barbaric, if not.

Soon as Tim calls me back I'll put in a word.

There is a store in Indianapolis, on the north side of town at the Fashion Mall at Keystone at the Crossing; I was there just this afternoon. We have only one other store in Indiana, at South Bend (home of the University of Notre Dame).

We are generally under-served in the state of Indiana (perhaps justifiably so), but we are accustomed to that by now.

Interesting that you mention Trader Joe's, the Apple Store Keystone is very nearly split between the only two Trader Joe's stores in the city. The south side of Indy gets no retail love..
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:

This store looks like a repurposed trolley barn. Rip it down and make a glass cube, please.

Oh, Zither, thou knowest how to sting me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It thought it looked terrible too, but it's probably a well regarded landmark.

I don't think it's a major landmark, it's just that in Australia in some main CBD streets and towns there's old architecture like this which is important to be preserved. Sure, nothing compared to Europe, but also why it's important to keep it. Because most of the mid- to outer- suburban developments in Australia are all post-WW2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Nice to see you two paragons in agreement.

I think the repurposing of the retro gingerbread building?don't know what else to call it, maybe someone could enlighten me?into the standard Apple Moderne produces an amazing effect. And one also wants to preserve wherever possible, if the building warrants it al all.

Edit: So far, I can't find much on the building, except that it's "historic." Anybody?

Yeah, I think they did a good job, and I think the city council and Apple did a good job in preserving it. Again, it's not on any of the tourist maps I've seen, and I've only been here several months so I'm not sure what the heritage value is. In any case it's next to a standardly-hideous Holiday Inn, so it's putting its looks to good use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Her is a little more info. I haven't checked the address yet. Maybe sunilraman needs to do a recon mission.

Way ahead of you. Been there about three times already...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

It has a real Trompe-l'?il appearance to it. You know, like those scenes Wile E. Coyote would paint to fool the road runner but turned out to be real until Wile E. Coyote tried to follow. Pay no attention, I just biked too long today and am suffering from too much exertion.

Like I said, it's not the highlight of old architecture in the city...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I have visited this store, as I have many elsewhere. This might not appear all that impressive in an image but in actuality is quite good. What was impressive however, was the number of employees on the floor one Sunday afternoon. This store has a single floor, I believe that Apple does not even own the upper one and I estimated that there were over 50 employees busy on one occasion. It is not at all surprising that another is planned, especially considering Perth's isolation, being one of the most remote cities on Earth. The nearest city of comparable size (over 1.5 million people), Adelaide, is 2,137 km (1,328 miles) away and the nearest foreign capital, Jakarta is 3,004 km (1,867 miles) away. As in many other cities, I doubt that there is another store as profitable per square metre as the Apple store in Hay Street.

Yeah, it looks better in person, and fits the feel of the street. The church at the corner is quite nice too, despite being fairly small.

Yup the Apple Store in Hay Street is doing quite well, I've written that it's doing ~too well~ at times, it can get pretty darn packed and busy. That said, Apple has also already expanded their retail presence here through the usual electronics retailers, with some of them having the Store-Within-A-Store concept in JB Hi-Fi (kinda Best Buy) and Myer (kind of Nordstroms?).
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Sweden/Stockholm gets no love in this thread?

As a very happy stock owner and pretty recent Apple product owner/fan i find it *Very* interesting that the kind of massive impact the iPhone has had here has happened basically without any promotion from Apple itself whatsoever. No TV-advertising, no radio, no magazines, no billboards. The only advertising i have seen since the iPhone was introduced here, are from operators and electronic chains. But there is nothing unique about that advertising. It looks basically the same as for any other consumer electronic product. And on top of that Nokia and SonyEricsson (part Swedish) have historically been *huge* here. Often sharing the top ten list of most sold mobiles between them with different models for the last 20 years or so. With that relatively small amount of promotion effort on the part of Apple and it's partners it has gone from a novelty to *massive* penetration here in Sweden in just four years. I would guess that when being out and about in Stockholm looking around you see practically 70-80% iPhones *if* people have smartphones and even that is the absolute majority. It's even beginning to be a novelty to see someone with a feature phone and something that tends to be a talking point when you actually meet someone who haven't got a smartphone yet. This has not happened to me in a good while. Well, except for my parents, who are still on feature phones

I think what has been pushing the iPhone here is mainly word of mouth. People (specifically woman I think) loves the simplicity of the thing and that you can access Facebook and Twitter with great apps. Facebook is still huge here . That it is very easy buying apps and the fact that some apps have been very important for adoption here. A couple of years ago an app called "Word Feud" (a multiplayer scrabble game) was released and it caught on like wildfire in very short order (and enabled the developer to quit his dayjob in just a month or so) and I am convinced that that app alone has sold tens of thousands of iPhones here the last year and a half.

What I am trying to say is that it's nice to see that Apple recognizes the success Apple products have had here the last few years (with comparatively little effort) and actually gives us a proper Apple Store even though Apple would probably go on growing just fine here in Scandinavia without one.

I'm pretty sure I will be there for the opening
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:

You have no respect for the past. It's a beautiful building.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The gutted, hollow storefront ruins its integrity. And besides - the building no longer exists. Only the upper portion of the facade was spared. Everything else was destroyed.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

He's simply trolling.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:

And besides - the building no longer exists.

Come the frick off it.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come the frick off it.

Only a portion of the original facade exists. Everything else has been destroyed. It was the victim of a facadectomy. Look it up.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:

Only a portion of the original facade exists. Everything else has been destroyed. It was the victim of a facadectomy. Look it up.

When we redid the interior of our house, we didn't consider it a new house. And particularly since the intent here was to keep the original design, shape, and feel of the building intact, saying the 'building was destroyed' is a touch harsh.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

When we redid the interior of our house, we didn't consider it a new house. And particularly since the intent here was to keep the original design, shape, and feel of the building intact, saying the 'building was destroyed' is a touch harsh.

In the case of your house, the building was not destroyed.

In this case, every remnant of the building was destroyed, except the upper portion of the facade. Your response may be "that's better than nothing".

Your house did not look like this during your redecorating:

• Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

It has a real Trompe-l'œil appearance to it. You know, like those scenes Wile E. Coyote would paint to fool the road runner but turned out to be real until Wile E. Coyote tried to follow.

That is exactly what it looks like, because that is essentially what it is. It is a fake old facade on a brand new building.

It has no integrity.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:

It has no integrity.

Stands up pretty well by what I can see.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

Stands up pretty well by what I can see.

That is because it is a modern steel-framed building. The old facade is there just to trick you into thinking otherwise.

Integrity is a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations, and outcomes. In ethics, integrity is regarded as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions. Integrity can be regarded as the opposite of hypocrisy.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Integrity is a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations, and outcomes. In ethics, integrity is regarded as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions. Integrity can be regarded as the opposite of hypocrisy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrity

Why don't you try your own integrity?
  • Reply 57 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

Sweden/Stockholm gets no love in this thread? . . . I'm pretty sure I will be there for the opening

Thanks for the very interesting report. If you catch the opening, I'd like to hear about it.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:

In the case of your house, the building was not destroyed.

In this case, every remnant of the building was destroyed, except the upper portion of the facade. Your response may be "that's better than nothing".

Your house did not look like this during your redecorating:

Where did you get this photo? I just searched a bit and none of the pictures of the surrounding area look even close to your picture.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Where did you get this photo? I just searched a bit and none of the pictures of the surrounding area look even close to your picture.

I don't think he's saying that's the Aussie Apple Store. I think he's just using it as an example of destroying a structure but still keeping a fascade as opposed to keeping a structure intact and just redecorating the in and/or outside. I think he a point. When you remove the original structural supports the building ceases to exist in many ways.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I entered "facadectomy" into Google Image Search. Why did you think that the facadectomy example was from the surrounding area? It's unlikely.