CNBC: New York a 'key location' for unveiling Apple' quad-core 'iPad 3' with 4G [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    I don't see any reason for NY but I was surprised by the iBooks Author location. Maybe that will be Cook's thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Excited about whatever they release, this will be my first iPad, but skeptical about '4G' in general. The coverage is so little and the speeds are so not as advertised, it's still little more than a gimmick.

I'll likely go WiFi only.

LTE will grow quickly over the next year as we will finally have chips that are decent enough to be used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

It needs to be quad-core and 4G to be fully buzzword compliant.

• Reply 22 of 48
    So much for their lame claims. Verge just received their invite for an event in Yerba Buena....
  • Reply 23 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Confirmed, March 7! California!

Nice job CNBC!!!! NOT!!!
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Everyone I know that has a 4G phone either has poor battery life or turns off that functionality most of the time. I would characterize their phones as "Damn! That's a huge screen! How do you use it as a phone?"
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Since much of the media is located in NyC invites need not go out early. Further the invites might already be out there, I mean honestly how do you think CNBC came up with the projection in the first place.

Well I played devils advocate above but frankly I agree with you. One of the reasons I don't watch TV much is due very much to the lies, distortions, ignorance and bias that passes for news. It comes from all sides to the benefit of none. The bad reporting isn't always malicious so fining people for being stupid may be an exercise without results. I think it is fair to say that today's news is about looks, not about reporting from individuals with a strong grasp of the subject matter. Of course that does not excuse out right lying, bias or distortion.

Agreed. The Press gets a NDA to sign and on embargo with authorization to leak out a bit here and there before the presentation.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Confirmed, March 7! California!

Nice job CNBC!!!! NOT!!!

CNBC wasn't making the claim, but an analyst talking on CNBC, right?
  • Reply 27 of 48
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    well, Mr. Jon Fortt, you sure got a great "anonymous source." here is a little tip about "journalism":

one source = a rumor.

second independent confirming source = a story.

gonna take you a few days to wipe all that egg off your face.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    The event is in San Francisco All Things D has an invite..
  • Reply 29 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

CNBC wasn't making the claim, but an analyst talking on CNBC, right?

Perhaps, but it was CNBC who decided to believe the analyst and they treated it as some sort of breaking news, even making a news alert.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Can you say ... "False info to out a leaker"?

I have a feeling the pink slip has already been drafted ...
  • Reply 31 of 48
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    CNBC was wrong about the location (although I suppose there could be a simultaneous stream venue in NYC for the media). Maybe because their source had info about the already-past textbooks event, and mistakenly thought it was new info? Or maybe just flat-out sourceless info over-hyped.

So I?ll discount the rest of CNBC?s rumor too, and expect, lets?s see, a tri-core iPad 3! Three cores... yeah, that sounds good. I?ll go with that.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The city of New York will play a "key" role in the Apple's unveiling of its third-generation iPad next week, a device expected to pack a quad-core processor and 4G LTE connectivity, financial news network CNBC claimed on Tuesday [updated]. [...]

Oh well. CNBC should leave rumor-mongering to the expert rumor-mongers. (And we all know who they are. :-))

It's possible that Apple gave the NYC unveiling rumor to an employee who they suspected of leaking announcements and/or info. That way they could confirm that the individual was in fact the source of leaks and could take steps. (As mycatsnameis has already posted...)
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mycatsnameis View Post

Can you say ... "False info to out a leaker"?

I have a feeling the pink slip has already been drafted ...

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Security officer: "Well, we've got it down to these four individuals as our leaker. So let's let them see announcements saying that the announcement will be held at Apple Campus, Chicago, NYC, and Las Angeles".

reinharden
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The cynical part of me says shit like this is an attempt to tank the stock, when the 'dissapointing' dual-core, non-LTE iPad3 is revealed. I can see the headlines now. 'Underwhelming', 'below-expectations', 'less than expected', etc.

the iPad 3 will do just fine in the marketplace. there's no need to feel personally slighted by comments / opinions from a complete stranger.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Could it be becoz NY gets better 4G connection then California?

Or because 3G reception in NYC is godawful.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    It won't have 4G and if you think it will you ought to stop bothering with sites like this because you clearly aren't learning anything.

Apple will not ruin the iPad's battery life and compactness by putting a piece of technology in their device that only a tiny, tiny fraction of its customers will be able to make use of during the life-cycle of the product.

It's by having that simple focus that Apple has been so successful. I just don't see how anyone can fail to see this.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

It won't have 4G and if you think it will you ought to stop bothering with sites like this because you clearly aren't learning anything.

2012 is ripe for Apple to add LTE to their iPad and/or iPhone. There are other devices using new LTE chips that are fairly power efficient, certainly more so than between Apple's first and second iPhone where they went from EDGE to UMTS data.

That is not to say that Apple will launch LTE with the iPad before the iPhone but there is no real technical issue at this point that would be make it an unlikely prospect.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Apple will not ruin the iPad's battery life and compactness by putting a piece of technology in their device that only a tiny, tiny fraction of its customers will be able to make use of during the life-cycle of the product.

It's by having that simple focus that Apple has been so successful. I just don't see how anyone can fail to see this.

You DO realize the second wave of LTE chips is entering production, right? The ones with much better power draw?
  • Reply 39 of 48
    So I guess CNBC and the financial industry are full of ... What's new...
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Perhaps, but it was CNBC who decided to believe the analyst and they treated it as some sort of breaking news, even making a news alert.

Thank you. Probably a ploy by analysts and CNBC to boost the stock market by stimulating the NYC financial oligarchy.