MWC names Galaxy S II best smartphone, iPad 2 best tablet

Comments

• Reply 81 of 159
    I was stuck at AT&T waiting for some customer service, and had a chance to try out their selection of Android phones. I was a little surprised by how cheap they all seemed. Especially, the Galaxy S II. Sure it has a bigger screen, but it just seems clunky, the resolution suffers, and the size seems to make it awkwardly proportioned. The size seems as exciting as "A PEN!!!". It is just another poorly thought out feature to look good on the spec sheet for the clueless geeks.

It always seems absurd to see these Android idiots proudly walking around with their phones as if no one notices it is a cheap, plastic, pieces of junk, cluttered with logos and buttons, with a an interface with too much crap everywhere. There is the search for search button, because no one can find search, there is the weather widget because geeks obviously don't get out much (look out the window or get an iPhone and just ask Siri if you need local weather)
  • Reply 82 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

His issue was with the 25% number, hypothesizing that what the original poster said is untrue and even suggesting its a made up number.

You are talking about something completely different.

Lets stick with the issue at hand people. He raised an issue I called him out. Done deal.

This was the conversation

I asked a very simple question about a stupidly made comment. "iPhone is 25% Samsung." says nothing about what is being measured. If a poster isn't willing to qualify or in any way back up a statement is not possible they did pull it out their ass.

Perhaps English isn't your first language but you didn't me out on anything. I never claimed not implied that he did pull it out his ass unless you want to claim I also implied he used the price of volume, weight or component prices to come to his conclusion. Funny how you failed to note those.

But moving along to the graph you posted... since when is iSuppli's comically limited breakdown and pricing of products of any authority?

Even if we pretend that everything listed is accurate and everything listed are the only things that are cost centers in dealing with products why would you assume that 25.66% are Samsung products. How to do you jump to say that the entirety of the A5 PoP/SoC is Samsung's IP when Apple and others beside Samsung are clearly involved with its design? Apple hires Samsung to put together their PoP/SoC by taking various components and putting them together. They are intermediaries for the A5 chip. They are the Foxconn of SoCs.

Why do you conveniently ignore Elpida? Hitachi? Both are companies that involved in Apple's A* SoC and NAND. Did you really think that Samsung was the only vendor Apple uses because they are contracted to manufacture the A5?

Sent from my Foxconn iPhone.

PS: Next time try to actually answer my questions about what is being measured and I won't end up looking like such an idiot.
  • Reply 83 of 159
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Another one with broken logic, support is pre profit and paid for with Apple care. Accessories and developers don't come from Apples profit.

It's the ecosystem, success breeds success, Apple product accessory makers and developers are also making profits.
  • Reply 84 of 159
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Replied to from my employers Foxconn Dell
  • Reply 85 of 159
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    "Samsung is the Foxconn of SoCs."

LMAO I didn't know Austin was a part of China now.
  • Reply 86 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/08/sam...phone-4-parts/

25.66% to be more exact

What now Solip? Would that be considered an "ass pulling" to you?

Dont be too dismissive of anything thrown against you.

Is this serious? You want to tell us Apple pays $26 for 16 GB Flash? When you can buy Retail packed Flash Class 10 for less than $20 at Amazon, you think the largest buyer of Flash in the world, who buys chips direct and integrates them pays $26? And you think 512MB RAM is worth $11? That too RAM that is directly integrated on-chip? Do you even realize if you bought 4GB RAM at $11 for 512MB, your cost of RAM for a normal computer would be $88?

That being said, $8 for the Applications processor feels too low.
  • Reply 87 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Is this serious? You want to tell us Apple pays $26 for 16 GB Flash?

Note that this is an iPhone 4 breakdown and from 2011.
  • Reply 88 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I don't like Samsung phones.

Surely you know I prefer my iPhone HW, OS, ecosystem and support other other vendors but I have to give credit where it's due...

I like Samsung's phones. They are doing a lot of interesting things and their build quality, fit and finish seem better than other Android-based vendors. Even their Bada OS is pretty damn refined for its age and has a lot of potential.

I couldn't care less about their business tactics. They aren't doing anything that pollutes a river or destroys a village for all I know some IP stealing is pretty tame. They are taking a risk and it seems to be paying off, More power to them.
  • Reply 89 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Is this serious? You want to tell us Apple pays $26 for 16 GB Flash? When you can buy Retail packed Flash Class 10 for less than $10 at Amazon, you think the largest buyer of Flash in the world, who buys chips direct and integrates them pays $26?

In all fairness Apple's on-board NAND flash would be rated at Class 20±2. I don't know how the speed difference or being a raw component changes things but I think for 2010 prices it might not be too far off.
  • Reply 90 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Public flogging for a vowel ...instead of for a lack of vow, ...how is that for a proof of content. One can't go farther downhill when one as hit rock bottom from the start ...right...?

Man you busted through that rock bottom like it wasn't even there lol. No flogging here, I just thought you went a little overboard with your tirade.
  • Reply 91 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

"Samsung is the Foxconn of SoCs."

LMAO I didn't know Austin was a part of China now.

Foxconn has an Austin operation too...

http://www.foxconn.com/WorldLayout.html
  • Reply 92 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

I was stuck at AT&T waiting for some customer service, and had a chance to try out their selection of Android phones. I was a little surprised by how cheap they all seemed. Especially, the Galaxy S II. Sure it has a bigger screen, but it just seems clunky, the resolution suffers, and the size seems to make it awkwardly proportioned. The size seems as exciting as "A PEN!!!". It is just another poorly thought out feature to look good on the spec sheet for the clueless geeks.

It always seems absurd to see these Android idiots proudly walking around with their phones as if no one notices it is a cheap, plastic, pieces of junk, cluttered with logos and buttons, with a an interface with too much crap everywhere. There is the search for search button, because no one can find search, there is the weather widget because geeks obviously don't get out much (look out the window or get an iPhone and just ask Siri if you need local weather)

looking for high-fives by spouting out pools of bullshit?
  • Reply 93 of 159
    Quote:

I asked a very simple question about a stupidly made comment. "iPhone is 25% Samsung." says nothing about what is being measured. If a poster isn't willing to qualify or in any way back up a statement is not possible they did pull it out their ass.

Perhaps English isn't your first language but you didn't me out on anything. I never claimed not implied that he did pull it out his ass unless you want to claim I also implied he used the price of volume, weight or component prices to come to his conclusion. Funny how you failed to note those.

But moving along to the graph you posted... since when is iSuppli's comically limited breakdown and pricing of products of any authority?

Even if we pretend that everything listed is accurate and everything listed are the only things that are cost centers in dealing with products why would you assume that 25.66% are Samsung products. How to do you jump to say that the entirety of the A5 PoP/SoC is Samsung's IP when Apple and others beside Samsung are clearly involved with its design? Apple hires Samsung to put together their PoP/SoC by taking various components and putting them together. They are intermediaries for the A5 chip. They are the Foxconn of SoCs.

Why do you conveniently ignore Elpida? Hitachi? Both are companies that involved in Apple's A* SoC and NAND. Did you really think that Samsung was the only vendor Apple uses because they are contracted to manufacture the A5?

PS: Next time try to actually answer my questions about what is being measured and I won't end up looking like such an idiot.

Is your name Bernie Madoff and currently serving a 150 yr jail term because your BS sounds almost as good as his.
  • Reply 94 of 159
    Quote:

Surely you know I prefer my iPhone HW, OS, ecosystem and support other other vendors but I have to give credit where it's due...

I like Samsung's phones. They are doing a lot of interesting things and their build quality, fit and finish seem better than other Android-based vendors. Even their Bada OS is pretty damn refined for its age and has a lot of potential.

I couldn't care less about their business tactics. They aren't doing anything that pollutes a river or destroys a village for all I know some IP stealing is pretty tame. They are taking a risk and it seems to be paying off, More power to them.

I don't like the feel of them...they feel cheap even though they are more durable than most (due to more flexible materials). I also won't fully respect them until they completely drop that iOS TOO interface that is touchwhiz...current version is much better than the initial one by far but it is still iffy (on phones, I personally think their tablets are very different than Apple's and that that lawsuit was BS, though the packaging claims have merit IMO)

I was an HTC fan but lately their billion phones a month approach that look exactly the same has turned me off, I'm waiting to see the full effects of the One approach and I hope it takes off as more vendors may take note and realize that the blitzkrieg stage is over and it's time for a sustained attack.

hell I probably have more complaints for the Android ecosystem than even most Android haters (due to the fact that I actually know WTF I'm talking about) and probably more than I could even drum up for iOS as my only real issue with iOS is that I simply do not like it much...that's it. It bores me...apps are cool, but I don't use many apps as is and I enjoy my customization options.

I like OSX...I like the iPad...I am not a fan of the iPhone....
  • Reply 95 of 159
    Quote:

looking for high-fives by spouting out pools of bullshit?

Ah, someone is all worked up because someone insulted their phone.

Just some obvious observations, if it where bullshit it probably wouldn't sting so bad.
  • Reply 96 of 159
    You sound butthurt, don't worry it's just a prize.
  • Reply 97 of 159
    Worth about as much as Motor Trend Car of the Year.
  • Reply 98 of 159
    Nah a bit different than that since it is judged by more than 170 independent analysts, journalists, and academics, not just one company.
  • Reply 99 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

Ah, someone is all worked up because someone insulted their phone.

Just some obvious observations, if it where bullshit it probably wouldn't sting so bad.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with AD. I highly doubt you picked up a Galaxy S2. If you did, I'm sure you picked it up with your opinion on it already skewed because of your blatant anti Samsung (perhaps Android?) agenda already. You can't pick up a device while waiting in line and make all of those horribly over-exaggerated criticisms in 2 minutes without already having a previous bias. Not only does your opinion differ from most experts, it simply sounded like a 5 year old rattling off stuff he heard his parents say. You seemed to just awkwardly throw together every anti-Android line I've ever heard and expected people to believe your little made up story.

edit: A pen? You're aware that the Galaxy Note has a "smart pen" (or whatever the heck they're calling it), not the S2? Another whole in your story

edit 2: The "uninformed geek" stereotype, huh? I find it interesting how being smart with computers makes one a geek. Alas, people will always be jealous of those that have more than them I suppose; even if it's knowledge..

On the topic of the original story, while I can't say the GS2 isn't the best phone, I feel like it should share the spotlight with the 4S simply because of how it's success was based off the 4S (in terms of packaging, interface, even advertising).
  • Reply 100 of 159
    Quote:

I don't like the feel of them...they feel cheap even though they are more durable than most (due to more flexible materials).

I don't mind the plastic. It's certainly not in the league of the iPhone but it feels well built compared to others in the Android class. iFixit breakdowns show a well made device. Old like to get my hands on a Bada-based device but first I need to get a Lumia.