Apple may be squeezed by Retina Display shortage at 'iPad 3' launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

If there was a way to vote comments down, I'd vote yours down. And the article.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP QUOTING DIGITIMES AS IF THEY'RE A LEGITIMATE SOURCE!

I mean its the same damn thing every product launch..

Yep. They always do the whole limited supply, parts issues, the two models this year.

over and over they are proven false

I can tell you that yes Apple will have a supply issue on this unit because it will be a hella popular. Hopefully they already have systems in place to avoid lines every day for the next 2 months etc. But you can bet that if they were having crazy issues getting a decent amount of launch stock they simply wouldn't launch.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Look Ma, I'm a DigiTimes' reporter.

Why does anyone pay any attention to what these yahoos say?

don't insult Yahoo like that
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Sucks if true. Again, Apple's success/performance potential limited by the capabilities of others. I always thought a mass launch of such a screen would be akin to a small miracle, considering there's nothing yet like it out there even on a NICHE tablet, nevermind the most popular one in the world. I wasn't planning to lineup/pre-order, so hope I don't have to wait several months before purchase.

I am not really into the whole 'retina' thing so i ask what is the benefit to the average user of this display? output to larger screen? the ipad 2 already had a wonderful image am i going to see this and go 'holy sh*t'' this is so much better than the ipad 2?
  • Reply 24 of 59
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Not sure how this is a surprise. There have been several reports months ago talking about limited screens because of the failure rate on these displays.

Now, to add a twist and of course conspiracy, maybe these Korean companies are getting tired of being smashed by Apple in the phone / tablet market, realized all they have to do is "drag" their feet and iPad 3 sales slow significantly. Nothing they could do about the iPad 1/2 because of contracts but I can only assume these are new contracts and if production rejects are high, they are high, nothing they can do.

I also thought I read Samsung was releasing a tablet with a high res screen as well, I can only assume it will be the same display or very similar, maybe they are reserving production for their own tablets.

There are tons of "scenarios" one could ponder.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

If there was a way to vote comments down, I'd vote yours down. And the article.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP QUOTING DIGITIMES AS IF THEY'RE A LEGITIMATE SOURCE!

I mean its the same damn thing every product launch. They rehash one or two points that we're all already aware of, then make up 5 more points that never had any basis in reality, just to stir the pot and get that ad revenue pumping. This site and others are guilty of aiding them in that fraudulent endeavor.

There will be no shortage. There will be the standard "delays" as Apple tries to keep up with demand. However, they've been ramping up for this release for months. There will be no "shortage".

And there absolutely will still be a 64 GB model. If this doesn't tell you DT is simply making things up without any sources, I don't know what will.

And as for price hike? LMAO. Nope.

I saw a report sometime last year which characterized them, as well as some other sites that do that sort of reporting. They were correct a bit over 50% of the time

As for the 64GB, I would imagine its a typo. I really can't see Apple not including a 64GB version. I was hoping for a 128 model now that I'm been using video editing, CAD, and PS, which was recently just out.

It's not likely, but perhaps Apple has relented, and we'll get a memory card capability.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

I am not really into the whole 'retina' thing so i ask what is the benefit to the average user of this display? output to larger screen? the ipad 2 already had a wonderful image am i going to see this and go 'holy sh*t'' this is so much better than the ipad 2?

Type will be much better in smaller sizes. It's very noticeable.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

...am i going to see this and go 'holy sh*t'' this is so much better than the ipad 2?

<yoda [not amphetamine cgi version]>

You will... You will...

</yoda>
  • Reply 28 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I saw a report sometime last year which characterized them, as well as some other sites that do that sort of reporting. They were correct a bit over 50% of the time

As for the 64GB, I would imagine its a typo. I really can't see Apple not including a 64GB version. I was hoping for a 128 model now that I'm been using video editing, CAD, and PS, which was recently just out.

It's not likely, but perhaps Apple has relented, and we'll get a memory card capability.

Isn't the lack of SD card capability one of the reasons some enterprises prefer the iPad/iPhone over, say, competing Android devices with removable storage?
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep. They always do the whole limited supply, parts issues, the two models this year.

over and over they are proven false

I can tell you that yes Apple will have a supply issue on this unit because it will be a hella popular. Hopefully they already have systems in place to avoid lines every day for the next 2 months etc. But you can bet that if they were having crazy issues getting a decent amount of launch stock they simply wouldn't launch.

Indeed, there will always be a shortage of the latest iPad and iPhone models. Particularly outside the 1st and 2nd tier launch countries... If you are in the 1st and 2nd tier launch countries, then [ned stark meme with "Brace Yourselves, The Scalpers Are Coming]

The question is whether there is a shortage of components Apple expected more of... Which, I suppose, nobody knows.

In any case if I can hold out for 2 weeks without ordering online then that will be a great victory, I've got hella lot of work to do this month!
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Isn't the lack of SD card capability one of the reasons some enterprises prefer the iPad/iPhone over, say, competing Android devices with removable storage?

Not really, lots more reasons why Android tablets just ain't cutting it... yet? BTW how many tablets have ICS?

I've finally got decent broadband (15mbps down)... And I tell you what, this has taken my iPad up a notch... Bam! Somehow AtomicWebBrowser on iPad is also faster now compared to Firefox on Mac. I know, not an oranges-to-oranges comparison, but that's also my point. For non-work-related web surfing here on my couch, it's pretty bl**dy sweet. Time to admit from March 7 I'll be bashing the Australian Apple Store refresh button. ~sigh~ here we go again. Twice as magical. Hopefully with the strength of AUD now iPad 3 will come in at same prices as iPad 2 now.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Why would you think that? I would think they have agreed a contract price on the displays Apple has ordered, and not that Apple was buying the displays on the open market. Did I miss something?

Because a higher price generally equals fewer sales. If the sales will be fewer due to shortages, Apple may as well capture more profit on each sale, given that many people do not care so much about the price.

Look at it this way: If you can produce as many widgets as needed, you will price them to make maximum profit on as many sales as possible. But if you can only make a limited number of the widgets, it is likely that you could raise the price and thereby maximize profits on the lower volume, because there is a market segment that will pay extra.

Diamonds and gold, for example, sell for high prices die to scarcity. It diamonds and gold were available in unlimited supplies, then the price would fall.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why would Apple allow that?

If they can sell an extra 32 gigs of memory for $100, why would they forego the $100 and allow its customers to insert a $30 SD card?

Lots and lots of people would see the value in getting memory for $1/gig instead of paying Apple $3/gig.

Apple can get $3/gig for extra memory. That is too profitable for them to allow customers to buy memory from the normal sources.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Because a higher price generally equals fewer sales. If the sales will be fewer due to shortages, Apple may as well capture more profit on each sale, given that many people do not care so much about the price.

Look at it this way: If you can produce as many widgets as needed, you will price them to make maximum profit on as many sales as possible. But if you can only make a limited number of the widgets, it is likely that you could raise the price and thereby maximize profits on the lower volume, because there is a market segment that will pay extra.

Diamonds and gold, for example, sell for high prices die to scarcity. It diamonds and gold were available in unlimited supplies, then the price would fall.

I would expect that Apple will price it appropriately for long-term (not supply-limited) sales. They have no history, that I am aware of, of starting with high prices and then dropping them as availability improves.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Not really, lots more reasons why Android tablets just ain't cutting it... yet?

Of course it isn't the only reason. We're all aware of others, whether real or imagined.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

If they're smart they'll launch first only at high capacities at raised price. Let the early adopters with deep pockets pay the premium price to allow production to ramp. They can say they're only launching 64 or 128 gb with availability today and in two weeks the rest. That way no one is surprised and no one is upset.

Nah...They want the long queues on TV day one.

Edit: I mean queues on day -7
  • Reply 36 of 59
    I want mine now!

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
  • Reply 37 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I would expect that Apple will price it appropriately for long-term (not supply-limited) sales. They have no history, that I am aware of, of starting with high prices and then dropping them as availability improves.

I guess you slept through the original iPhone introduction.....
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Is there any good reason for Apple to give up profits? If they can profit from something, they are likely to do it.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Quote:

I am not really into the whole 'retina' thing so i ask what is the benefit to the average user of this display? Output to larger screen? The ipad 2 already had a wonderful image. Am i going to see this and go 'holy sh*t'' this is so much better than the ipad 2?

Yes you are. That's the whole point. Until you see it, you don't realize how crappy the pre 3 iPad displays are. I am earliest adopter of both iPads and I can tell you in no uncertain terms the current displays are crap. I read a lot of small text, and it blows on these old iPad displays compared to reading on my iPhone 4S. Night & Day believe it.

And this shortage rumor is akin to stating that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning. Duh.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is just a scheme by a few Taiwanese people to attempt to manipulate AAPL, so that they can pick up a few stocks for cheap for themselves.

Digitimes track record is complete garbage. They shouldn't even be called journalists, but rather shit slingers.