Case makers plan for Apple 'iPad HD,' Best Buy expects accessories March 11

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm not a fan of the numbers either but I'm not crazy about HD either. HD is too synonymous for the average person with 720 and 1080 widescreen for a 4:3 tablet.

True. HD means widescreen.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Hi, I'd like to buy an iPhone."

"Okay, do you want this year's model, last year's model, or next year's model?"

"? I just want an iPhone."

"We sell three iPhones."

"What's the difference?"

"One just became two years old, another just became one year old, and the third was just announced."

"Can I get the third one?"

"Not until next week or so."

"Why would I buy last year's model when I can have the new one in a week?"

"You can buy last year's model now. This year's model is also for sale."

"But you said it comes out in a week."

"Officially we don't handle future products, so the current iPhone is still this year's model."

"But you said you sold three, wouldn't they all be current iPhones since you sell them all now?"

"Last year's model is much older. Actually, we still have two years ago's model, too, since next year's model isn't available yet."

"So you have four iPhones."

"No, again, we don't have the new one yet."

"So I can buy three products."

"Yep."

"And they're all called 'iPhone'."

"Yep."

"So what's the difference, besides the price?"

"The iPhone from two years ago is slower and won't run the newest software. It also has a worse camera."

"Why would I want that?"

"It's free on contract."

"Okay, go on.

"The iPhone from last year is slow and will run the software that was just announced but won't be out for a little while. It also has a lower-res camera."

And it's cheaper?"

"Yeah. And then the current iPhone is fast, will run the newest software for a few more years, and has the best camera."

"What about the new iPhone?"

"It's even faster."

"That's it?"

"And runs even newer software?"

"Why would I buy something that can't run the newest software?"

"They can all run the newest software, just the newer ones will get the newest software longer."

In my mind that whole exchange took place in the voices of Abbott and Costello.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

True. HD means widescreen.

No. To an uninformed person? Sure. But no, it isn't dependent on being widescreen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

In my mind that whole exchange took place in the voices of Abbott and Costello.

And that's exactly how it feels like it would go, doesn't it?
  • Reply 24 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

No. To an uninformed person? Sure. But no, it isn't dependent on being widescreen.

I suppose it doesn't have to be, but who masters HD content in anything other than widescreen? I can't think of any outside of IMAX movie transfers and remastered legacy content, and I've always seen those framed in a 16:9 data stream with black pillar boxing. There is little to no hardware that is not widescreen as well, iPad 3 will probably be the most notable exception, outside of that, almost nothing.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    wisauwisau Posts: 1member
    It's going to iPad 3. The thicker back pannel is a plant. It's going to have all the speculated specs and be a few millimeters thinner than the iPad 2. Plus, no bezel!
  • Reply 26 of 28
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Apple will be sued if they use HD. Doesn't matter if it's above 1080p, someone will try on that basis, the basis that it's not full 2k, or the basis that it's not a standard 16:9 resolution and that the "HD" monicker is 'confusing'.

Those people are idiots. 720p is technically HD and this is well beyond that.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I wish the back of Apple devices had no text at all. Just an Apple logo and nothing else.

between the required regulatory logos and that would be the only place to get the serial number if the iPad won't power one, you are stuck with the text
  • Reply 28 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

between the required regulatory logos and that would be the only place to get the serial number if the iPad won't power one, you are stuck with the text

I'm not bothered by it, but it seems all that could be placed on the lower edge, similar to how they etch that information to the bottom edge of the iMacs.