13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google

In particular, pay attention to the section on Google Books. Google started out intending to copy every book they could get their hands on and make it available on the Internet without the author's permission. When there was a sufficient outcry against that, they tried to get a law passed that would allow it - except that the author could opt out.

And yet major and respected universities like Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Princeton, Oxford are choosing to partner with Google to continue the project. Being accused of violating IP rights does not make it factual.

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/partners.html
  • Reply 42 of 52
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

How's your French? I've been a couple of times and have been determined to use the local vernacular! (Only however, where neither life nor limb were at risk!)

I can get by, dealing with storekeepers and waiters. But since Paris is the most visited city in the world, many Parisians speak more English than I speak French. My wife is more fluent than me, but I work on changing that from time to time.

They were very nice to us in Paris. It's still key to 'greet' or at least acknowledge people in businesses after you enter, in French. That little bit of politeness goes a long way.

We also spent four days in London. That's where the rude people of Europe seem to live. At least three times, someone walked right into me or mostly, my wife, on the street and walked away without a word. And yes, we retained our wallets. A friend who lives in London agrees with our rudeness assessment.

They were nice to us in Paris and in other cities we visited in France, and Italy as well, during the month we were there.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We should rally against mob mentality. Who's with me!

I keep most trolls on the ignore list, but this reply to one of my ignored actually made me happy that people sometimes reply to and quote them. That way I can have a good laugh while avoiding most of the BS from trolls.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And yet major and respected universities like Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Princeton, Oxford are choosing to partner with Google to continue the project. Being accused of violating IP rights does not make it factual.

So before Google was going to take Nike's slogan to heart and just do it.

Now that they "partnered" (which I'm sure involves NO money changing hands) with these institutions it's all okay.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I don't know, I haven't read it or accepted it, I never use Google sites while logged in (to my Gmail account) and actively block any attempt to track my online activities.

The new policy has attracted attention from various governments around the world, yet you are quite dismissive of any negatives regarding it.

So you have no idea and are basing your opinion on hearsay?

shocked I say.

quite frankly I am enough of an anonymous web browsing person to not really care and what little I've read about the policy (almost all site's policies) and heard about it outside of the "End is Nigh" type of histrionics it seems to be more of the same, in one package as opposed to 30.

I'm sure we'll find out more about it in the coming days/weeks/months and when all the facts are on the table I'll formulate a concrete opinion.

Until then I'll keep doing what I'm doing without the tinfoil hat and without the judgmental attitude towards a company that is probably hated by a lot of people on this site simply because they DARE compete with Apple in some fields...
  • Reply 46 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

If an institution agrees to partner with Google, there's nothing wrong with it.

My objection was to Google's earlier argument that the had the right to copy all the world's printed works and make it accessible WITHOUT PERMISSION.

Your claim doesn't change that.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Google tried to do it without partnering with anyone, meaning without author or publisher permission. This was shown to be blatantly illegal, so Google had to change tactics, and actually partner legally.

If you start to violate IP rights, but are prevented from continuing to violate those rights, that does not absolve you from the original theft attempt.

(when defending Google against lying and theft, you might reference something other than Google's own website).
  • Reply 48 of 52
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:

The really amazing thing to me was that Google was #2. I guess people don't mind someone stealing all their private information and selling it to the highest bidder. Or stealing intellectual property left and right.

Think of it this way, most people don't say they'll do an internet search for something, they say they'll 'Google' something. When your brand name becomes a verb, odds are you'll be somewhat admired.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In France, to make yourself understood -- you need to speak slower and louder...

...the ugly American...

Hah, my French was apparently so bad everyone immediately switched to english before I could I even finish a sentence.

I do think they appreciated the effort though.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Think of it this way, most people don't say they'll do an internet search for something, they say they'll 'Google' something. When your brand name becomes a verb, odds are you'll be somewhat admired.

Just like iPhone users don't say "My phone is ringing" or "My phone is messing up" when referring to an iPhone...they always use the product's name...
  • Reply 51 of 52
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:

While Apple has been accused of violating intellectual property rights (and has even lost a case or two and had to pay up), they do not base their entire business model on using property that doesn't belong to them.

Great, more hyperbole filled BS statements of opinion as fact. So Google bases their "entire business model" on stealing IP? Really? Because Google never did anything innovative, like revolutionize internet searching, online maps, online email, etc.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Google tried to do it without partnering with anyone, meaning without author or publisher permission. This was shown to be blatantly illegal, so Google had to change tactics, and actually partner legally.

If you start to violate IP rights, but are prevented from continuing to violate those rights, that does not absolve you from the original theft attempt.

(when defending Google against lying and theft, you might reference something other than Google's own website).

So your big issue was no one was helping them catalog the books? Other than that what changed?