Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels

1911131415

Comments

  • Reply 201 of 293
    If the info from Nomura Research is true, the flexible AMOLED could be the answer for a bezel-less Galaxy S III (or the rumored new Galaxy B series).

    That could be one of the uses of that tech.



  • Reply 202 of 293
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post


    If the info from Nomura Research is true, the flexible AMOLED could be the answer for a bezel-less Galaxy S III (or the rumored new Galaxy B series).

    That could be one of the uses of that tech.







    That's a neat mockup but I wonder about its practicality from a design, construction and usability standpoint. Plus, my first though is that the display going to the edge of the bezel seems to me to be independent of engineering involved to make a solid device. IOW, why can't they bring the display to the edge now without wrapping it around the sides?
  • Reply 203 of 293
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    The Touch is in that list in name only, as it is an iOS device and shares the iPhone's screen size.



    agreed.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Apple didn't proliferate the iPod lineup just to be doing it, they shrunk it as technology permitted. For a single purpose device with limited user interaction this makes sense. For a laptop replacement it does not.



    I agree partially. You are completely right about the Classic iPod vs Flash based iPod (music player).

    That was two completely different demographics.



    The classic was designed for "all of the music in your pocket" using a spinning HDD, the other was "a lot of music in your pocket" using flash. However, as soon as they started going after all these different colors and sizes of the flash based iPod, they stopped focusing on creating revolutionary products and switched to evolutionary product to fill different niche. About that time, iPod growth slowed down. Mini, Nano, I lost track.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ip...er_quarter.svg



    and now sales have finally been shrinking for the past few years and will continue along this trend until they shut it down.



    The same will happen to the iPhone and iPad if they do not keep innovating and keep doing things to stay revolutionary. When they stop being revolutionary then you will see 7" iPads of all different colors and special edition iPhones form U2. At that point they better have another revolutionary product in the market (i.e. AppleTV, whatever) or it will be time for me to start thinking about selling the stock. I hope that day never comes. This is why I don't want them to even consider resorting to selling a 7" iPad just yet. When you do that, it means they are out of ideas for innovation in the mainstream and will start to spread themselves into every niche to keep their numbers up.



    It tends to happen to a lot of companies.. they go from selling a huge revolutionary product like a Model T (any color you want as long as it is Black) to producing the same evolutionary cars under different brands (Ford, Lincoln, Mercury) in every color of the rainbow, differentating each make with different headlights, tail lights, interior trim, and special editions until they are on their backs. Remember the K-Car? It was revolutionary and saved Chrysler, and its evolution without further innovation also just about killed Chrysler too. I think their low point has got to be the Chrysler TC by Maserati. OMG. Talk about niche to the extreme. This was a company completely on its back and out of ideas.
  • Reply 204 of 293
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    Get off your hi horse for a moment there and understand that apple are in the market to both compete with other tech companies and make their customers happy.



    It is hardly being on a high horse to say if you don't like something, don't buy it.



    Quote:



    I wonder what you ll be saying in a few months when that 7-8" hits the market...



    I could ask you the same thing about when it doesn't.
  • Reply 205 of 293
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I want a larger iPad that can roll up!



    So you can smack Android users with it?



    On a more serious note, I'm intrigued by Android but the Galaxy S2 and Note that I've played with are laggy. Gatorguy et al, wondering if you had any insight into this? I'm quite curious, to be honest, my biases notwithstanding. I do like the AMOLED screen and the vibrant contrast and colours. But how come the animations and transitions aren't as smooth as one would expect?
  • Reply 206 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,783member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post


    I don't have a clue, but I never said that the 7" was for you, however it would be pretty good for me, and I believe a lot of others, including some people who make go with Android.



    I disagree. Apple doesn't make products because they are missing out on some sales. I truly believe a 7" iPad just isn't a good size or idea, and Apple is good at steering clear of ideas that are not good. I don't mean to sound insulting, if you think I am sounding that way, I just have strong opinions about this stuff. Remember, I called the iPad at 10" before it was ever resealed because I took the time to cut out card and try out various sizes myself.
  • Reply 207 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,783member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Imagine you make your living on your feet, be it doctor, field engineer, construction manager or whatever and you need an iPad like device you can carry in your pocket.



    Imagine the iPhone already existed and fit perfectly in any pants or jeans pocket.
  • Reply 208 of 293
    sennensennen Posts: 1,470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I seem to recall a time, fairly recently, when many where sure Apple was presently to release an "iPhone Mini", since obviously they'd need to extend the product line to cover all the action and not leave any money on the table.



    Of course, you don't hear too much about that any more, since the new "action" is all about 5"+ screens and Apple needs to make one of those, now.



    As Soli pointed out, touch devices are inherently different from iPods or Macs, since the screen size is part of the UI. The iPhone is the size it is because Apple's exhaustive pre-release testing suggested to them that that size works best as an aspect of the entire device, software and hardware. Same goes for the iPad. Apple didn't make the iPad the size they did for laughs, they did it because they determined that that was the best size for a device other than the iPhone. Pocketable: 3.5" screen. Not pocketable: 9.7" screen. It could have been 7 at launch. It could have been 11. They chose 9.7" because of how it worked.



    So a 7" iPad wouldn't just be device to slot in between the iPhone and existing iPad, to cover the market and satisfy "choice." It would have to work, in the sense Apple defines work-- do something better in a compelling way. Samsung makes devices in every size just in case. Not Apple.



    Well said. I think they'd keep a lower priced model based on the iPad 2 in the product line before they go to 7". I may well be proven wrong, of course.
  • Reply 209 of 293
    Bleh, AMOLED, I've been following that tech since Universal Display Corp. showed it off in 2002, and they still have problems with color reproduction, esp. when viewing the display from an angle.
  • Reply 210 of 293
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post


    On a more serious note, I'm intrigued by Android but the Galaxy S2 and Note that I've played with are laggy...

    I do like the AMOLED screen and the vibrant contrast and colours. But how come the animations and transitions aren't as smooth as one would expect?



    I don't know the exact reasons. I recall a blog a couple of months back that went into detail on the reasons, and how ICS had generally addressed most of the issues. Most of the review sites also mentioned significant improvement in the screen response with many saying it was no longer noticeable in most applications.



    Ars is one of my most trusted review sites and they said there were times that they could still see a slight stutter when opening a new app, but that overall it was vastly improved and not really much of an issue now.

    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...viewed-1.ars/4

    The most recent bugfixes(4.0.4?- not certain) are also mentioned as further improvements in a couple of specific areas.



    Anyway, a comment on the one reason why a 7" iPad/iPod is almost certainly being developed by Apple: Samsung said it, and of all the little rumor sources ranging from Digitimes to the Wall Street Journal, Samsung is the one in the unique position to know what Apple is buying. If they say Apple is making a 7-8" slate, I believe them.



    On why Apple would consider one: If you look at the most popular free and paid app trends in the AppStore they predominantly swing to games. Buyers might convince themselves they're buying a tablet for productivity, but app downloads are evidence it's more for entertainment in reality. A 7" tablet makes a much easier to hold and use device for gaming, and that's what Apple sees a smaller tablet being used for IMO.
  • Reply 211 of 293
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    I don't know the exact reasons. I recall a blog a couple of months back that went into detail on the reasons, and how ICS had generally addressed most of the issues. Most of the review sites also mentioned significant improvement in the screen response with many saying it was no longer noticeable in most applications.



    Ars is one of my most trusted review sites and they said there were times that they could still see a slight stutter when opening a new app, but that overall it was vastly improved and not really much of an issue now.

    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...viewed-1.ars/4

    The most recent bugfixes(4.0.4?- not certain) are also mentioned as further improvements in a couple of specific areas.



    Interesting... As I suspected though the Note and S2 are not shipping with ICS in Australia at the moment, eg. http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/samsung...blue-unlocked/ ... Which is surprising because that website does grey imports, which means they should be fresh off the Samsung line in Asia.



    Anyways, cheers, will check out the Ars article.



    Interestingly Adobe Flash doesn't come with the Galaxy Nexus ICS, Adobe promises "by the end" of this year.



    I'm checking the forums, apparently ICS for S2 and Note is only out "early 2012".



    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to set you up for a fall, just trying to keep my finger on the pulse. I remain committed to trying to be impartial. The Galaxy Note screen is interesting, and actually that's a nice size. I wanna see ICS on it and see how it handles.
  • Reply 212 of 293
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post


    agreed.



    I agree partially. You are completely right about the Classic iPod vs Flash based iPod (music player).

    That was two completely different demographics.



    The classic was designed for "all of the music in your pocket" using a spinning HDD, the other was "a lot of music in your pocket" using flash. However, as soon as they started going after all these different colors and sizes of the flash based iPod, they stopped focusing on creating revolutionary products and switched to evolutionary product to fill different niche. About that time, iPod growth slowed down. Mini, Nano, I lost track.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ip...er_quarter.svg



    That's what happens when you look at one data point in isolation.

    Now, look at this chart:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IP...er_quarter.svg



    It's pretty clear that iPod sales peaked in the Christmas, 2008 quarter - just as iPhone sales were starting to take off. What seems to have happened is that many people have chosen to use an iPhone instead of an iPod and other phone. The decline in iPod sales was not caused by the variety of iPod products, but rather by the iPhone introduction.



    Sometimes you have to cannibilize your own sales.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post


    and now sales have finally been shrinking for the past few years and will continue along this trend until they shut it down.



    I'm not sure that they'll shut it down any time soon. I expect that sales will decline to some level and then level off - particularly the iPod touch. But only time will tell.
  • Reply 213 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Apple may or may not elect to make a 7" iPad at some point. If they do so it will be because they think they can make a great product that they can sell in great numbers which addresses an actual market.



    Considering the above spot on, if you're selling all the iPads you can make AND you own 70% of the market and 90% of the profits, well, smart money says it's not broke, don't f...



    Makes more sense we'll see an evolutionary upgrade instead, such as iPad 2s with a processor bump, Retina display & Siri integration - PLUS - they'll keep the iPad2 going but $100-$200 cheaper. No need for that iPad3 yet unless Cook is going to introduce something revolutionary that will leapfrog iOS's closet competitor, Windows 8 - which BTW is a pig with lipstick on.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    As the most astonishingly successful company on the planet I think we can maybe at this point give the benefit of the doubt and assume their reasons for doing or not doing something are pretty sound.



    Cook's "sound" reason for an evolutionary upgrade?



    Because Apple will sell 1/10th of a billion of the above in the next 12-18 months.
  • Reply 214 of 293
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdboy View Post


    You won't see an iPad mini from Apple. If anything, you'll see an iPod+. Also, the speculation that this rumored device might not be released until fall is an indicator it is more likely to be a larger iPod.



    An iPad mini's 4:3 aspect ratio would be all wrong for a versatile, 7-inch device. These need to be a 7-inch device with a 16:9 aspect ratio for three reasons:

    - To hold and operate with one hand on occasion.

    - To fit into (some) pockets (a 4:3 device would not fit).

    - To fit into the 180mmx100mm opening of automotive dashboards (larger, 4:3 devices would not fit).



    Apple engineers would be brain dead to design a device that isn't versatile enough to be used by hand AND in vehicle entertainment systems.



    Why do bloggers and the mainstream media keep reporting these dumb iPad mini rumors?



    I was thinking the same thing, namely that if the product in question is to be released around the time when Apple releases new versions of the iPod Touch, it makes sense that it will be the next Touch, not a smaller version of the iPad.



    I question how a 7-inch iPad would slot in pricing wise. I suspect that Apple is going to have a lower-cost iPad to offer beginning Wednesday, basically the iPad 2 selling closer to $399 than the current $499. Let's say the entry point for an iPad is $429. Right now in the US, pricing for the iPod Touch ranges from $199 to $399. What price would we see for a hypothetical 7-inch iPad? It would have to be more than a Touch, something like maybe $299 to start. This device would canibalize iPad and Touch sales. It would be less enjoyable to use than an iPad due to less screen real estate which diminishes watching video, browsing, e-reading, gaming and so on. It would lose the pocketable convenience of the Touch. It would make it problematic if Apple wanted to make the Touch a little larger, which is the next logical progression in that device.



    A 5-inch Touch would be just about as portable as the current Touch and it would as a result be a rational companion to an iPad, rather than a curious sort of device like this often-rumoured, never-produced 7-inch unit. I own a Touch and intend to buy an iPad. They have different strengths and it makes sense to own both.



    I was once of the view that Apple should have made a 7-inch iPad but then I sampled the 9.7-inch iPad and found that it is just the right size if you don't plan on trying to force it into your pocket. The Touch, on the other hand, feels to me like it is just not quite the right size. It's perfect for a smart phone but for a handheld that you can pocket, not so much.
  • Reply 215 of 293
    this 7" is advertisement for android tablets!!! Trying to convince buyers to 7" now since the size is OK that APPLE will even produce 7" in the summer of 2012.
  • Reply 216 of 293
    As usual baloney.



    These analyst have to justify samsung strategy. Samsung spending on future innovations is nothing but FUD for WS. Already their fab in Texas is starting to prove to be a disaster. I doubt if apple will continue purchasing from Samsung. Why do I say the fab in Texas is turning into a disaster? Well, Samsung is trying to trying to raise money specifically for the fab.



    They are seeking 1 billion in bonds thru their US entity. Samsung is awash in money. Bet you any losses to the fab will be specific to the US entity not mother Samsung in Korea.
  • Reply 217 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    I could ask you the same thing about when it doesn't.



    the problem ther is that once it's out, that's it. But if it doesn't releases, it's always possible that it just hasn't released..."yet".



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Imagine the iPhone already existed and fit perfectly in any pants or jeans pocket.



    Actually that's an argument against the iPad entirely.
  • Reply 218 of 293
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post


    I was thinking the same thing, namely that if the product in question is to be released around the time when Apple releases new versions of the iPod Touch, it makes sense that it will be the next Touch, not a smaller version of the iPad.



    I question how a 7-inch iPad would slot in pricing wise. I suspect that Apple is going to have a lower-cost iPad to offer beginning Wednesday, basically the iPad 2 selling closer to $399 than the current $499. Let's say the entry point for an iPad is $429. Right now in the US, pricing for the iPod Touch ranges from $199 to $399. What price would we see for a hypothetical 7-inch iPad? It would have to be more than a Touch, something like maybe $299 to start. This device would canibalize iPad and Touch sales. It would be less enjoyable to use than an iPad due to less screen real estate which diminishes watching video, browsing, e-reading, gaming and so on. It would lose the pocketable convenience of the Touch. It would make it problematic if Apple wanted to make the Touch a little larger, which is the next logical progression in that device.



    A 5-inch Touch would be just about as portable as the current Touch and it would as a result be a rational companion to an iPad, rather than a curious sort of device like this often-rumoured, never-produced 7-inch unit. I own a Touch and intend to buy an iPad. They have different strengths and it makes sense to own both.



    I was once of the view that Apple should have made a 7-inch iPad but then I sampled the 9.7-inch iPad and found that it is just the right size if you don't plan on trying to force it into your pocket. The Touch, on the other hand, feels to me like it is just not quite the right size. It's perfect for a smart phone but for a handheld that you can pocket, not so much.



    I think you're absolutely right in the fact that a 7 inch iPad still doesn't quite fit in the lineup. It's not quite portable enough for a broader market. Women would probably carry them in handbags much like books/Kindles but a 5 - 6" iPod would be a much better prospect around $299.



    3.5" iPhone

    5.5" iPod

    9.7" iPad
  • Reply 219 of 293
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post


    Samsung spending on future innovations is nothing but FUD for WS. Already their fab in Texas is starting to prove to be a disaster. I doubt if apple will continue purchasing from Samsung. Why do I say the fab in Texas is turning into a disaster? Well, Samsung is trying to trying to raise money specifically for the fab.



    That was discussed in depth here at AI a few weeks ago.

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=141412
  • Reply 220 of 293
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    That was discussed in depth here at AI a few weeks ago.

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=141412



    Let's see. The article says that the plant is running at capacity and Samsung is willing to invest another billion dollars in expanding it.



    Just what part of that leads you to think that it's a disaster?
Sign In or Register to comment.