25 billionth download from Apple's iOS App Store was 'Where's My Water?'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Tens of millions of more sales/downloads because your app is available to all markets on Earth isn't a difference?

1) Which is why apps aren't going to be disallowed across countries arbitrarily.

2) You do realize that Where's My Water is available in the US, right?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Which is why apps aren't going to be disallowed across countries arbitrarily.

Well what would be their reasoning, then? Beyond "it's banned by the country itself", which is fine, I can't think of any.

Quote:

2) You do realize that Where's My Water is available in the US, right?

Oh, yeah. I mean everything else.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Well what would be their reasoning, then? Beyond "it's banned by the country itself", which is fine, I can't think of any.

One thing is certain is that companies will try to make money where it can and since there is no cost associated with releasing to another country on iTS then we can deduce that apps that aren't in all countries are not there for a reason, even if we can't begin to fathom what that reason could be.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Oh, it's there. And "not want"? They don't want to get more money? O~kay.

There could be other reasons. For example Hollywood movie stars often do silly or goofy ads that are only seen in foreign countries. The money is good but In the US they have a certain image to maintain and are not as likely do a corny commercial. Sometimes you never know why corporations do certain things but when it comes to licensing of creative works there can be a lot extenuating issues.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There could be other reasons. For example Hollywood movie stars often do silly or goofy ads that are only seen in foreign countries. The money is good but In the US they have a certain image to maintain and are not as likely do a corny commercial. Sometimes you never know why corporations do certain things but when it comes to licensing of creative works there can be a lot extenuating issues.

It has been available in the US since its launch. Starbucks gave it away FREE as their Free App of the Week at launch. That is when I got it.

Tom
  • Reply 26 of 34
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I wonder how many idiots are going to be furious that somebody from China won.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Man, they really have to remove horrible applications from the store.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    lhunterlhunter Posts: 13member
    Would someone in the US have accepted the gift card?

Story line:

Apple: here is your $10,000 gift card. Congratulations.

IRS: here is your $3,000 tax invoice for winning a $10,000 gift card.

I think it would be more useful if it could be used towards any Apple products.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pslice View Post

You can't even search for this app..... "No results"

If you did a search via Google, you would have found this:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/where...449735650?mt=8
  • Reply 30 of 34
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Quote:

There needs to be ONE (Mac) App Store. There needs to be ONE iTunes store.

Ticks me off so much.

Are you serious? It's never going to happen, unless Apple uses that $100 billion to buy out the whole media and entertainment industry.

I live in the UK and still buy printed books, and it says clearly inside "Not for Sale in the US" -- the US versions probably say "Not for Sale in the UK". Authors don't always sell to the same publishing house for world-wide distribution, which would certainly make life easy for all of us. Book publishing rights are usually auctioned off and bidding will depend on the sort of sales and profits a publisher is likely to make.

The same kind of thinking applies to music, movies and TV shows. The US market gets very competitive pricing whilst those in the UK (and EU generally) get asked to pay more: maybe pricing depends on currency exchange rates, but prices can be affected by royalties too.

The whole set up is a nightmare, one that Apple has to deal with. I think we got movies/TV shows a whole year after the US.

Asking Apple to (indirectly) sort out someone else's mess is just like those who expect Apple to improve working conditions in Chinese factories.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

Asking Apple to (indirectly) sort out someone else's mess is just like those who expect Apple to improve working conditions in Chinese factories.

These situations are different. With media, Apple has the weight and the power to do it. China? Absolutely not. It's hypocrisy to think that Apple should be in charge of improving conditions everywhere for everyone. But selling digital media? Apple invented the industry.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

China, huh? Guess that good will should help in sales and court cases!

Yup. Oh, the irony... I hope the Chinese government doesn't confiscate that poor dude's $10,000 gift card.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prynne View Post

Honestly, how would you spend a $10,000 gift card on iTunes? Some movies, music, apps...still, I think it'd take a while...

If I had access to the Japan iTunes Store, I could do it.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Hope we all from all over the world are happy about those bidding bots, aren't we?