Square Register for iPad offers full point-of-sale system for merchants

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is a half-baked solution. A business will not get rid of their register, which actually holds a cash drawer, in favor of a wi-fi enabled iPad and a flimsily attached Square device. If they want to get serious, they are going to have to step up and develop some practical hardware that the business owners can use for more than just credit card transactions. Also, an iPad costs a lot more than the average freestanding cash register.

The app has supported wireless cash drawers and receipt printers for quite some time.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I don't understand why this is a story. The CC Terminal App has been allowing me to use my phone (and now iPad) for POS transactions since 2008.

So AI should detail new products just because the same basic functionality already exists? So that means no detailing of the iPad HD on Wednesday because it'll be still be a tablet?
  • Reply 23 of 61
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jmuramatsu View Post

The app has supported wireless cash drawers and receipt printers for quite some time.

It appears that the new app supports only certain wired printers and certain wired cash drawers:

https://squareup.com/receipt-printer...#printer-setup
  • Reply 24 of 61

Don't take my prior comments the wrong way... I am all in favor of this app!

Though, I would like more local control and information gathering/processing -- and less information on 3rd-party servers.

• Reply 25 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Fuckin' amazing!

Jack Dorsey is a genius. He's our generations' Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) 2.75%? Yet another reason why I think Apple will want to spearhead an NFC-based system through their iTS. Square's Card Case is somewhat in the vain I hope Apple goes.

I actually think Apple should try to buy both Twitter AND Square.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:

This is a half-baked solution. A business will not get rid of their register, which actually holds a cash drawer, in favor of a wi-fi enabled iPad and a flimsily attached Square device. If they want to get serious, they are going to have to step up and develop some practical hardware that the business owners can use for more than just credit card transactions. Also, an iPad costs a lot more than the average freestanding cash register.

The iPad is about double the cost of that dinosaur, yes, but it's also double the cost of a netbook. Just as those died off so will those clunkers of registers.

That cash register you linked to is not portable, does not have easily upgradeable software, needs a multi-step link to a repository of inventory information, takes many lessons to learn, and makes gathering of sales tax a lot more cumbersome. Plus I don't see an integrated credit card reader. Instead of all-in-one, through a single app and attachment no less, you need Quickbooks and SD cards. And paper receipts. And, as already described, you need a separate merchant account.

This was briefly brought up in a previous thread. Yes the technology is new but it will get better. It can only go up.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:

It's great that they shows the square for their reader. It's good idea for a simple handheld unit that might not get used often, but when you have a register system you are expanding to a higher usage scenario that could be used by a lot more people. That 3.5mm jack can only take so much force. At this point I think Square should offer a new system that would limit the potential force applied to the jack. There are plenty of CC readers for the iPad that are more sturdy:

You're dead right.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You do realize that there is always a merchant bank gateway with credit card purchases.

Generally a small/medium sized retailer has both an online and a brick and mortar swipe machine. In both cases the info goes to a merchant gateway account and then upon approval of the charge, the merchant account moves the funds to the retailer's commercial bank account. There are several merchant gateway banks to choose from but you must have one. In this case Square is providing the service.

Plus, according to their website, this has no merchant account, monthly fees, or set up costs. Strictly a per-use service, like paypal. This is an incredible boon to very small businesses and people who sell at shows, flea markets, and events.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

SS Square is baked well. They've got great integration but it's not for everyone. Small business benefits from Square because many want to setup shop but payment processing usually requires a Merchant Account (around 10-15 dollars a month). Square doesn't require that in lieu of higher swipe fees.

Square is building our their own Card Case system where a card swipe isn't even necessary for those with Smartphones.

Ideal solutions for a set amount of transactions a month or a highly technical set of patrons (coffee shops around colleges or tech centers) that would use their smartphones.

What about cash purchases? As a product, it's lacking the functional equivalent of a real register system.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And let people pay for things with the CC on file with the iTunes store.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

iPads have not worked out particularly well at a restaurant in my home town. They have a poslavu.com iPad POS system and servers carry iPads to take orders that automatically get transmitted to the kitchen. It's good in theory but in reality the system hiccups occasionally which can be irritating to customers trying to give their order. And when a customer orders water they want water; they don't want the server to instead start doing data entry into their iPad to tell the kitchen water is needed.

That problem would be solved by using Square and making water free.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:

Once again you are correct.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:

Do they need Square? I don't see it offering much over what they already built in-house for their transaction devices... which by the way are durable and well built unlike the issues I brought up about Square for a constant use POS system.

As for Twitter, I like that idea but does Twitter make money and how would if affect Twitter for all the other devices? I know it gets pooh-poohed a lot around here but Twitter is great, one just has to get over thinking it's for Ashton Kutcher and Miley Cyrus for tell you what they had for breakfast.

Stephen Fry is a prolific Twitterer and made an astute comment about it forcing you to write succinctly, something neither Fry nor I have ever been accused of. \
  • Reply 35 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

The iPad is about double the cost of that dinosaur, yes, but it's also double the cost of a netbook. Just as those died off so will those clunkers of registers.

That cash register you linked to is not portable, does not have easily upgradeable software, needs a multi-step link to a repository of inventory information, takes many lessons to learn, and makes gathering of sales tax a lot more cumbersome. Plus I don't see an integrated credit card reader. Instead of all-in-one, through a single app and attachment no less, you need Quickbooks and SD cards. And paper receipts. And, as already described, you need a separate merchant account.

This was briefly brought up in a previous thread. Yes the technology is new but it will get better. It can only go up.

I don't operate a retail business, so I can only speculate as to the real world efficiency of such a system. Most small businesses are quite cost and security conscious, so the likelihood one would replace a cheap and reliable cash register with an easily stolen iPad set-up has me wondering.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:

As for Twitter, I like that idea but does Twitter make money and how would if affect Twitter for all the other devices? I know it gets pooh-poohed a lot around here but Twitter is great, one just has to get over thinking it's for Ashton Kutcher and Miley Cyrus for tell you what they had for breakfast.

iCloud doesn't make money either. Twitter needs to make money so it's beginning to go south. Every social network goes south when they try to make money.

Twitter would put Apple on the map in the social network realm, and Apple needs that because they have established at this stage that they cannot build social networks. Your Apple ID would also give you a Twitter account at which point all you need to do is create a username. And they could use Twitter to launch deals and products (with total control), Apple could keep Twitter ad-free, etc. There are many many other reasons why it makes sense. Twitter even feels like an Apple product. If Apple were able to build a social network Twitter would be the type of thing they would do. It just makes too much sense. Would be like a hand in glove. I'd bet you $1M Apple has already tried to buy them a few times, but Twitter wasn't selling, but eventually Twitter will sell, and I hope Apple takes the price. They'd be well worth $20B IMO. Twitter is one thing that is not a fad and isn't going away. I'd love Apple to have control of that.

And God forbid Google buys them. We're fucked if that happens.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

And let people pay for things with the CC on file with the iTunes store.

Indeed.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

iCloud doesn't make money either. Twitter needs to make money so it's beginning to go south. Every social network goes south when they try to make money..

But iCloud ties Apple's ecosystem together which sells more devices. That's the important difference.

I don't see how buying Twitter will accomplish this goal nor why they would need to since they've already incorporated it into the OS.

Now if we're talking about Twitter going to close up shop despite having a massive following then I could see Apple wanting to pick up the pieces by adding it to their ecosystem, but under normal circumstances I don't see it.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually the new register system has some good features and some limitations. Here are some of the limitations:
    1. There is no central or automated way to setup several iPads -- the inventory items must be manually set up on each iPad.

2. There is no way to enter a credit, coupon or loyalty discount

3. There is no way to enter any discount amount or percentage

4. There is no way to accept a check and annotate information

5. There is no way to handle multiple "menus" -- Daily, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

6. There is no easy way to enter notes or annotations.

7. There is no ability to enter twofers or threefers...

8. There is no mix or match for twofers or threefers...

9. There is no way to handle combos

10. There is no way to handle specials

11. There is no way to gather/enter customer personal information

12. There is no ability to build a customer profile/history

13. There is no way to quickly retrieve customer info -- e.g. call in: phone number

14. There is no inventory management

15. There needs to be a back-room Mac app that does inventory, customer, pricing, setup, analytics...

You're like a feedback-God!
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Do they need Square? I don't see it offering much over what they already built in-house for their transaction devices... which by the way are durable and well built unlike the issues I brought up about Square for a constant use POS system.

Stephen Fry is a prolific Twitterer and made an astute comment about it forcing you to write succinctly, something neither Fry nor I have ever been accused of. \

They had each other for breakfast!