Rumor: Apple working on new iPad case to cover both screen & aluminum back

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Personally, I am far more interested in a smartcover that enables both landscape and portrait viewing upright (the latter being necessary for iBooks-type files).

It is actually a tad frustrating that the current one allows for only landscape.

I wonder, however, if that will be an impossible design challenge.

I think it might be impossible but this is the main reason I don't use my smart cover at all as well.

The smart cover assumes that all the uses of the iPad will be in landscape mode whereas I rarely if ever use it that way.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My hope is that the iPad3 does away with sharp edges. When the iPad2 came out, people kept parroting marketing propaganda, saying that it had "rounded edges". It was truly astounding that almost the entire tech media got bamboozled by that nonsense. In reality, the iPad2 had "sharpened edges" as compared to the previous iPad or pretty much any computer ever made. Seriously, how did the entire tech media get that confused and keep saying the exact opposite of reality. All you have to do is look at the damn thing. Those edges are not rounded. They are the opposite of rounded. Perhaps "acute", "pointy", "sharpened" or even "tapered", but "rounded"? How did that idiocy ever take hold.

</rant>
  • Reply 43 of 54
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I hate the rear aesthetics of iPad 2. Just hideous. I loved the first gen iPad's back design. Simple. Sadly I sold it b/c I was going to get the iPad 2 but once I saw the back I sad no. If iPad 3 is a significant upgrade I'll consider getting it. If not, I'll go and buy the 1 gen iPad from Apple's refurbish stuff.

There's something the matter with you. The original iPad is superior in no way whatsoever. This coming from someone who owns an iPad 1 but has held an iPad 2 enough to know what I'm missing.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The original iPad is superior in no way whatsoever.

Shape. While his reasoning is foolish, I'd much rather have the iPad's shape than the iPad 2's.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    The smart cover is fantastic.

Scratching is not an issue if you take reasonable steps and don’t treat it like a Frisbee. My iPad 2 fits in a separate compartment in my day bag so it’s never in contact with keys or coins. If resting it on a rough surface I just place it smart cover side down.

Insert or clip-on cases detract from the aesthetics/feel of the device. That's enough to make it worth getting over the anxiety of trying to keep it in mint condition. I Just sold my iPad 2 for 85% of the price I originally paid for it on day 1. For me that's totally worth it.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shape. While his reasoning is foolish, I'd much rather have the iPad's shape than the iPad 2's.

The convex back is horrible. iPad 2 is at least as comfortable when held and it's way more stable resting against a flat surface.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I really don't see Apple going back to a case that covers the entire iPad; the whole point of the Smart Covers was to get away from that. Per Steve Jobs himself when he unveiled Smart Covers:

As he says, they thought they could do better. Perhaps there was so much feedback they realized that they were wrong

As for this issue I wouldn't be shocked if they haven't made a case but have made their own back cover. Which you would buy separate if you want one. which would work for me.

as for the smart covers, can we get some different colors please.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    These sources that leak news must be doing it to multiple sites right? It is curious that I saw the same story over at iLounge. That could be co-incidence, but they also had the same 2 stories (thinner next-gen iPhone owing to Gorilla Glass 2 and re-designed iPad Smart Cover) under one header!

Maybe it's cos they are from the same source? For all the news that AI reports from other sites, AFAIK, they have credited the source.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The smart cover is fantastic.

Scratching is not an issue if you take reasonable steps and don’t treat it like a Frisbee. My iPad 2 fits in a separate compartment in my day bag so it’s never in contact with keys or coins. If resting it on a rough surface I just place it smart cover side down.

Insert or clip-on cases detract from the aesthetics/feel of the device. That's enough to make it worth getting over the anxiety of trying to keep it in mint condition. I Just sold my iPad 2 for 85% of the price I originally paid for it on day 1. For me that's totally worth it.

I just sold me iPad 2 myself and I have a hard time believing you sold it for $424. In fact I just don't believe you.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    I suppose personal preference is what it is, but it does surprise me that several people have posted preferences for the design of the first iPad. I'd prefer the iPad 1 design for the phone because it would fit in my palm, but it didn't work well for me with something that big. I probably read a book a week and the iPad 1 was a pain in the ass to hold with one hand...it was awkward. My fingers had a tendency of drifting inwards towards my palm due to the sloping back, and the grip just felt awkward...having a tighter grasp on the thin outside, and a more feeble grasp in the middle where it is wider? If anything, my hand wants to feel more bulk towards my palm, and less between my finger tips and thumb...it's how my hand closes. I don't want my hand to close around an object that is fatter towards my fingertips and thumb...it makes my grip feel precarious.

Those of you who prefer the iPad 1...I'm curious whether you spent a great deal of time reading? Maybe I literally held my iPad in one hand more than most people (I'm a big guy at 6'4, so maybe most people liked the two hand approach?).
  • Reply 51 of 54
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Is this your friend on the left?

No, the guy in the middle...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I hate the rear aesthetics of iPad 2. Just hideous. I loved the first gen iPad's back design. Simple. Sadly I sold it b/c I was going to get the iPad 2 but once I saw the back I sad no. If iPad 3 is a significant upgrade I'll consider getting it. If not, I'll go and buy the 1 gen iPad from Apple's refurbish stuff.

Gotta agree with Ireland on this one, what the hell are you on?
  • Reply 52 of 54
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The best case for the iPad (and I've had two of them) is the Invisible Shield.

Actually, I hate the Invisible Shield. Covering the entire back in yucky feeling plastic? Do that and you might as well own a plastic iPad molded to look like metal...
  • Reply 53 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Actually, I hate the Invisible Shield. Covering the entire back in yucky feeling plastic? Do that and you might as well own a plastic iPad molded to look like metal...

You wouldn't even know it's on.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You wouldn't even know it's on.

Actually, since I had one on mine and then pulled it off, I tend to disagree...