Rumor: 4G LTE is 'good to go' for Apple's third-gen iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

it would make sense that ipad3 includes LTE, though might be in small portion of deployment of ipad3. so apple could pilot testing Qualcomm LTE chipset well before iPhone LTE comes in fall.

I guess that could be it. However, to me it seems weird that a LTE iPad would be available in March but Apple would make it customers wait 6 months for a LTE phone?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if the iPad 3 has LTE (4G, whatever) and is available almost immediately, that a LTE iPhone won't be more than 3 months behind.

-kpluck
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Yet another report surfaced on Monday to join the chorus of others who have indicated that Apple plans to add a high-speed 4G LTE wireless radio to its third-generation iPad.

LTE sucks batteries dry.

Hardly nobody can even use it.

LTE makes you exceed data caps in no time flat.

Why would Apple ruin the User Experience with LTE?
  • Reply 23 of 53
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    I will be very surprise if the 4g LTE ipad on both verizon and AT&T will be available at launch. I expect it to come later than the wifi version and IMHO there is still a big chance the ipad 3 is not LTE. I REALLY want LTE but Apple could wait for iphone 5...
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

LMAO!! I almost spit out my Mountain Dew all over my iMac reading that!!

OLOOLOL!!!111

I spit my corn flakes all over my keyboard!
  • Reply 25 of 53
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Not interested in anything but the wi-fi model unless the AT&T CEO comes out on stage and announces we can finally start sharing our monthly data block amongst both our iPhone and iPad. If I'm buying 3GB of data per month, I shouldn't have to buy a second block of data for another device.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

I guess that could be it. However, to me it seems weird that a LTE iPad would be available in March but Apple would make it customers wait 6 months for a LTE phone?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if the iPad 3 has LTE (4G, whatever) and is available almost immediately, that a LTE iPhone won't be more than 3 months behind.

-kpluck

Difference here being you only need the cellular chips for certain models of the iPad whereas you'd need one in every iPhone.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Not interested in anything but the wi-fi model unless the AT&T CEO comes out on stage and announces we can finally start sharing our monthly data block amongst both our iPhone and iPad. If I'm buying 3GB of data per month, I shouldn't have to buy a second block of data for another device.

I'm on board with data sharing (as well as rollover data) but I would expect AT&T to charge for that "convenience" with a straight up fee or require a large data package like with a family plan.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

LTE sucks batteries dry.

Hardly nobody can even use it.

LTE makes you exceed data caps in no time flat.

Why would Apple ruin the User Experience with LTE?

How exactly does LTE make one exceed their data cap?
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm on board with data sharing (as well as rollover data) but I would expect AT&T to charge for that "convenience" with a straight up fee or require a large data package like with a family plan.

I've read the plan for Verizon and ATT will be along the lines of

Step 1

Buy a block of data say $60 for $50.

Step 2

Each device you want to share this pool will cost roughly $10 a month.

Step 3

There is no step 3
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You should have ignored that one. It wasn't a serious post.

Not only does a 28nm LTE chip have the potential to reduce battery consumption the prevailing thought about faster baseband technologies is that you want data to come down quickly so that the radio can stop transmitting and go back to a low power mode.

LTE, in areas with adequate LTE coverage, can actually save battery life as opposed to 3G
  • Reply 31 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Faster load times allow more content to pass through in a smaller amount of time, leaving more time for further content to load.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

A few weeks ago was too late, at that time iPad 3s were already being manufactured or do you think they can make several million iPads available overnight?

Or perhaps the manufacturer made a few million chips for Apple before they announced availability? It has happened before (Intel Xeon chips for one model of Mac Pro).
  • Reply 33 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KA47 View Post

I think I will just buy a Clear Internet device for my new iPad. It's 4G, it's unlimited and it's exactly $50 a month.

I already have one at home and I love it!

On previous iPads you only got GPS with the cellular model so if you wanted GPS, you could opt out of the onboard 3G and use a tethered solution like you suggest instead. Not sure if it will be the same situation with 4G if/when we get it, but I have a good feeling that it LTE will arrive with iPad 3. In fact I would be delighted if it came standard since they need to support CDMA and 3G anyway. Just go ahead and make it universal!
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You should have ignored that one. It wasn't a serious post.

Not only does a 28nm LTE chip have the potential to reduce battery consumption the prevailing thought about faster baseband technologies is that you want data to come down quickly so that the radio can stop transmitting and go back to a low power mode.

LTE, in areas with adequate LTE coverage, can actually save battery life as opposed to 3G

Oh I know his posts are rarely serious, I wanted to hear his asinine reasoning.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

A few weeks ago was too late, at that time iPad 3s were already being manufactured or do you think they can make several million iPads available overnight?

Depends on what "a few weeks ago" refers to. A design being finalized? Then it could be more than a year before it'll be in devices. Getting production going at full tilt or being able to distribute outside their Apple contract? Then it's possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The 6 months delay and wanting wanting certain features/tech to be showcasing on the iPhone is one reason I think LTE might not come with the iPad HD.

I don't think an iPhone in 3 months in doable. We haven't even seen iOS 6 with devs getting the SDK so they can have apps ready.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We haven't even seen iOS 6 with devs getting the SDK so they can have apps ready.

Apple doesn't trust the devs. If there is some kick ass stuff in there they will only test it internally or perhaps with a handful of trusted partners like a few game makers. Remember they didn't give us any Siri testing at all before it was released. Of course we didn't have the hardware but they also stripped it from the SDK and betas.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

I've read the plan for Verizon and ATT will be along the lines of

Step 1

Buy a block of data say $60 for $50.

Step 2

Each device you want to share this pool will cost roughly $10 a month.

Step 3

There is no step 3

I like it but isn't that too simple and straight forward for the telcos? They might get confused by it not being confusing.

Quote:

The iPad on '3G' gets 9 hours of data usage. I would expect the 28nm LTE to get about 6-7 hours of data on ''4G'. However, if they are increasing the battery capacity this tech could get some overflow of that gain so LTE could last even longer, right?

PS: I'm still thinking it's less than 50% chance given the focus they like to put on the iPhone and that the display on the iPad could be the biggest focus but it's certainly feasible.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    I'm thinking 80% chance.

28nm means lower power consumption

MDM96xx means wide support in the chip

But last, the new chip is probably the same price or slightly cheaper than the former parts.

At this point it's hard to make a viable argument for not putting LTE in.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Faster load times allow more content to pass through in a smaller amount of time, leaving more time for further content to load.

But we as humans still have to process that content at our speed, meaning if it takes a book 5 mins to download instead of 15 minutes, its still going to take me the same time to read said book regardless of how fast I was able to download it.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:

I'm thinking 80% chance.

28nm means lower power consumption

MDM96xx means wide support in the chip

But last, the new chip is probably the same price or slightly cheaper than the former parts.

At this point it's hard to make a viable argument for not putting LTE in.

• Apple can vet the chip in ways that it can't in-house allowing for more firmware bugs to be removed thus creating less issues for the 6th gen iPhone.

Quote:

But we as humans still have to process that content at our speed, meaning if it takes a book 5 mins to download instead of 15 minutes, its still going to take me the same time to read said book regardless of how fast I was able to download it.

It's really only an issue for higher content loads. While it will take years for websites to pile in more code to be rendered on a webpage we could see videos that are streamed in HD appear much faster because the iPad can showcase it. If a site auto-detects and sets to 1080p for the iPad HD that could cause longer buffering and larger data usage. That's probably the worst scenario I can think of for something happening immediately.