Mac OS X Lion update resolves Time Machine issue

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Apple on Monday released an update for Mac OS X 10.7.3 which resolves an issue that some users faced when restoring their Mac from a Time Machine backup.

Mac OS X 10.7.3 Supplemental Update is intended only for those Mac users who have Time Machine enabled and are running backups with the software.

System requirements are limited to Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion users only.

The download comes in at 24.55 MB and is available through Software Update or Apple's support page.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    For the next update of OS X "Vista" maybe they"ll do something everyone will JUST LOVE, such as reversing the scrolling...oh wait.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

For the next update of OS X "Vista" maybe they"ll do something everyone with JUST LOVE, such as reversing the scrolling...oh wait.

So are you @surgesoda on 9to5Mac? Just curious.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    It came through Software Update with a file size of only 38K for me.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

It came through Software Update with a file size of only 38K for me.

Same here.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    *edit: I figured it out. my mind isn't working. It has to do with iTunes Connect. lol.

Same 38k file update for me too, but I also had something called Application Loader. Anyone else get that too? It was 71.4MB.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So are you @surgesoda on 9to5Mac? Just curious.

No, I'm just a long time user (and curmudgeon) who is particularly unimpressed/disappointed with Lion. I now know how Vista users felt.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azjay View Post

*edit: I figured it out. my mind isn't working. It has to do with iTunes Connect. lol.

Same 38k file update for me too, but I also had something called Application Loader. Anyone else get that too? It was 71.4MB.

I got Application Loader last week while I was looking for the firmware update...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

No, I'm just a long time user (and curmudgeon) who is particularly unimpressed/disappointed with Lion. I now know how Vista users felt.

I understand that you may not be thrilled with Lion, but to suggest Lion is Apple's Vista makes you look foolish. I'm not thrilled with the new scrolling either. The left/right swipes often make no sense (such as in iCal. A calendar is not a book. In iCal, swipe up should be Next. Swipe down should be Back). You can always keep scrolling the way it was, y'know.

...that being said, Lion has been hugely successful. Lion bugs versus Vista bugs? Please...

Though not perfect, Lion is proving to be a great OS.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    bjojadebjojade Posts: 91member
    If you are used to an iPad, the 'new' scrolling is indeed more natural. Of course, I've accidentally tried to scroll on my macbook by touching the screen more than once.

Overall, Lion changes things, many for the better. Out of the box, it was more simplified, which is good for new users.

iCal and address book though, suck to high heaven. Not a fan of either of those in any way.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

For the next update of OS X "Vista" maybe they"ll do something everyone will JUST LOVE, such as reversing the scrolling...oh wait.

Yeah, clicking that check-box is like running a marathon! I nearly didn't survive.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    Just a heads-up... After installing this update and restarting my iMac (not necessary, but it hadn't been done in a while), I couldn't get on my Wi-Fi network.

All network ports in my System Preferences > Network had been deleted. My "Main" Location was empty.

I added them again and I was able to get back on.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    I tried to restore a Time Machine backup to a slightly newer MBP yesterday from an older MBP's backup last night and it didn't work.

I assume I should go back to the old MBP, update Lion with this supplemental update, run Time Machine .... then try the restore again on the newer MBP?

* what was happening was that after Time Machine finished restoring on the new MBP, it would just hang at the Apple Logo boot screen
  • Reply 13 of 18
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I understand that you may not be thrilled with Lion, but to suggest Lion is Apple's Vista makes you look foolish. I'm not thrilled with the new scrolling either. The left/right swipes often make no sense (such as in iCal. A calendar is not a book. In iCal, swipe up should be Next. Swipe down should be Back). You can always keep scrolling the way it was, y'know.

...that being said, Lion has been hugely successful. Lion bugs versus Vista bugs? Please...

Though not perfect, Lion is proving to be a great OS.

Coddling Apple and making excuses for them does not help either. Lion has introduced some downright boneheaded user interface changes such as the useless gray and nonfunctional login screen. In previous versions of Mac OS X, you could see the computer name, IP address, OS version, serial number, and network account availability at the login screen. This made supporting Macs in offices easier when people cannot log in. But now, none of this information is available at the login screen.

And making the user's Library folders hidden by default, requiring users to manually unhide them after every system update serves no purpose at all. All it does is make troubleshooting Macs more difficult. This is like taking your car to the mechanic because the Check Engine light is on. And instead of fixing the problem, the mechanic simply puts a piece of tape over the Check Engine light to hide it.

While Apple was busy making needless changes in Lion, some well known issues with the Finder have still not been fixed. Starting with Mac OS 10.5, the Finder has simply stopped remembering view settings for individual folders. Now every time you change between icon, list, column or cover flow views, that view is applied to every single folder you open even if the folder was previously set to a different view. And Apple's ridiculous workaround is to go to every folder, open View Options and manually hard code the desired view to use for the folder. Almost 4 years later, this still has not been fixed.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And making the user's Library folders hidden by default, requiring users to manually unhide them after every system update serves no purpose at all. All it does is make troubleshooting Macs more difficult. This is like taking your car to the mechanic because the Check Engine light is on. And instead of fixing the problem, the mechanic simply puts a piece of tape over the Check Engine light to hide it..

People who can't easily unhide the Library folders have absolutely no business messing with anything in there in the first place.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I still am skeptical about Time Machine and Lion after my initial bad experience with it. I now save my files the old-fashioned, hard way of copying them onto a seperate disk.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

Yes - nice parallel, LIon as Apple's Vista

Ok - can argue about the 'finer points', but ...

The Big Thing™ about Apple, and its Total Approach to Tech (and everything), especially when compared to Microsoft (and going back 30 years)

At least until Lion, and somewhat previously with 10.5 and 10.6 (in some regards) ...

Apple always followed this Major Rule ...

"If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"

Yes - the 'Scroll Direction' is a damn fine example. Ok, if really want to change it (or 'fix it'), no problem, but make it something that's a 'option' - don't change it to the other direction (by default) and FORCE US to have to go to Prefs to change it back to 'normal'.

Another 'Lion Growler' (for me) - trying to select files/folders in Finder using the 'mouse/cursor' in combo with 'command/select'. Leopard (and before) just 'cmd/click/drag' and then do 'whatever'. But with Lion, that 'whatever' is all over the map.

Another example (for me) - going back to 10.5 (and think was 'fixed' some by 10.6) - "Finder Search Results Ordered by Size". Was around since System 7 (or sooner?), had no problem making the transition to OSX, and even hung around until 10.4. But 'someone' got to 'experimenting' and 'poof, it was gone' (yes, could 'hack' into 'Terminal' and get it back - what I, and many others, did do, but why should WE have to 'fix' it? IT WASN'T BROKEN). But, well well - then a 'Miracle' - it came back in 10.6, go figure.

Granted - the Finder is, apparently, archaic and outdated and about to become history (apparently)

AND is very difficult (perhaps impossible?) to 'design/implement' the Finder (in conjunction with the New Era of iOS) as the Multi-Dimensional Relational Database that it represents (imagine 'Finder Cover Flow' in all its glory trying to graphically display - and logically order - EVERYTHING, including File Type and Size?)

So - to be fair - yea, Apple is faced with a 'dilemma' of sorts - trying to keep the old, and bring in the new. So far they have done a MUCH better job at that than Microsoft (least Apple didn't have a piece of chit to start with).

But Please Apple - don't get lazy, don't go Redmond on us.

Yes - the unwashed masses across the Global Village don't care about the Finder, and all the little things possible with it - they just want to 'find' something and Get 'er Done™

But Please Apple - find ways to do both.

And don't make US the ones to have to go 'retro' in the process of going 'forward'

Along with that famous Rule - "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"

Is another famous Rule, and one Apple has ALWAYS aimed at (and Microsoft doesn't even seem to know this 'target' exists)

"If the computer is that damn smart, let it figure it out - don't make us do the work for it"

Can only hope all the future 'Kitty Cats' are smart enough to 'figure things out' on their own.

• Reply 17 of 18
    But those aren't bugs. Those are changes in the way the system works. Or, rather, changes in the way in which you interact with it.

There are bugs in Lion, not a lot, but they're there. But nothing you claimed was a bug. It was something you happened not to like.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And making the user's Library folders hidden by default, requiring users to manually unhide them after every system update serves no purpose at all. All it does is make troubleshooting Macs more difficult.

Should you be troubleshooting anything if you don't know how to hold Option?