Reports claim Apple's third-gen tablet to be named 'iPad HD'

123457

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 145
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    It has to be the



    iPad2K



    Doesn't it?
  • Reply 122 of 145
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    smells like teen spirit



    so sad, that the late Kurt Cobain left the way he did... and ironically was factor in the death of Kurt Cobain, because it was over-played, and popular back around 1994. IMAO...
  • Reply 123 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post


    http://ipadhd.com/



    LOL



    So no... this is not likely.



    Without elaboration, this means nothing.
  • Reply 124 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    But ask average Joe anywhere in the world and HD means 'better quality image'. It means what the H and the D stand for - high definition. To 99.9% of the population it has nothing to do with number of lines, nor even aspect ratio.



    You just made that up. If I am wrong, cite your source.
  • Reply 125 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Show us the proof that you can't say a display has 1920x1080 resolution if it has more than that. Show us the proof that high definition has no baring on the definition being high, but is defined solely by a measure of the aspect ratio.



    You are seriously confused.
  • Reply 126 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    You are seriously confused.



    Says the guy who is confusing high definition with widescreen.
  • Reply 127 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    If, in fact, the next iPad has this, calling it an iPad 3 would be very, very confusing.



    Only because Apple doesn't have a history of correctly naming their devices.



    Quote:

    There was a study not too long ago concluding that roughly 1/3 of iPhone 4 owners thought they had a 4G phone.



    I vaguely remember that. Horribly skewed, wasn't it?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Without elaboration, this means nothing.



    Since Apple hasn't bought the website, as they often do?
  • Reply 128 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post


    And AI still can't do math: the resolution quadrupled, not doubled, should the rumored claims be true.

    How often will you guys regurgitate the same mathematical garbage?



    Better question: how often will you continue to be wrong even after people try to educate you over and over?



    Resolution is a linear measurement and is reported in pixels (dots, lines, etc) per inch. Pixel density is an area measurement and is reported in pixels (dots, lines, etc) per SQUARE inch.



    If the rumors are true, iPad 3 will have twice the resolution and 4 times the pixel density of iPad 2.
  • Reply 129 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    You just made that up. If I am wrong, cite your source.



    You've got to be kidding me. Yes, I made it up but it is hardly taken out of thin air. It is based upon my understanding of people, generally speaking and I have fairly good grasp on of how the 'average' person thinks. So I don't need a 'source'. I am just a really smart guy.



    Most people are not that interested in the technical specs of anything and believe me, for most people 'HD' means 'great picture quality'. I think that 'wide screen' may be seen as an implicit part of the 'HD' moniker by quite a few people, but 16:9 is generally referred to as 'wide screen', not 'HD'. When talking about televisions, the term 'flat screen' implies both high def and wide screen to most people. Its just shorthand based upon experience, but most of all marketing.
  • Reply 130 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Most people are not that interested in the technical specs of anything and believe me, for most people 'HD' means 'great picture quality'. I think that 'wide screen' may be seen as an implicit part of the 'HD' moniker by quite a few people, but 16:9 is generally referred to as 'wide screen', not 'HD'. When talking about televisions, the term 'flat screen' implies both high def and wide screen to most people. Its just shorthand based upon experience, but most of all marketing.



    When HD was first a reality in 720p and later 1080p variants it was first done in TVs because that is where the market and costs made the most sense. And widescreen makes sense on a large screen just like at the movies. Somehow Teckstud Part Duex only learned to associate HD with aspect ratio and not the resolution so he'll never realize that HD stands for high definition or that it's an independent measure than the aspect ratio. It was also pointed out that there are video formats that are defined as HD that are shot in [a] 4:3 [resolution]. Here is a demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oIgBDZbHao
  • Reply 131 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    When HD was first a reality in 720p and later 1080p variants it was first done in TVs because that is where the market and costs made the most sense. And widescreen makes sense on a large screen just like at the movies. Somehow Teckstud Part Duex only learned to associate HD with aspect ratio and not the resolution so he'll never realize that HD stands for high definition or that it's an independent measure than the aspect ratio. It was also pointed out that there are video formats that are defined as HD that are shot in 4:3. Here is a demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oIgBDZbHao



    That shot is 16:9. A lot of widescreen cameras, especially earlier HDV ones, had 1440x1080 sensor resolutions, and HDV is a 1440x1080 recording format too. The pixels weren't square.



    However, not being a TV or a dedicated camera, I don't think TV-specific formats directly apply to a tablet computer.
  • Reply 132 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    That shot is 16:9. A lot of widescreen cameras, especially earlier HDV ones, had 1440x1080 sensor resolutions, and it is a 1440x1080 recording format too. The pixels weren't square.



    However, not being a TV or a dedicated camera, I don't think TV-specific formats directly apply to a tablet computer.



    Sure, but the resolution is 1440x1080. He was saying that 1440x1080 can't be HD. Bottom line: 2048x1536 is high definition.
  • Reply 133 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    When HD was first a reality in 720p and later 1080p variants it was first done in TVs because that is where the market and costs made the most sense. And widescreen makes sense on a large screen just like at the movies. Somehow Teckstud Part Duex only learned to associate HD with aspect ratio and not the resolution so he'll never realize that HD stands for high definition or that it's an independent measure than the aspect ratio. It was also pointed out that there are video formats that are defined as HD that are shot in 4:3. Here is a demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oIgBDZbHao



    Quite.



    How could I tell you that a portrait formatted image has high definition if the term is locked to a certain aspect ratio? I know what HD 'typically' refers to, but to name the Zune HD as it was, was not technically incorrect. It just implied a certain quality, or in that case, capability.



    By the way - the linked video is great for showing different resolutions, but the are all 16:9
  • Reply 134 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    But ask average Joe anywhere in the world and HD means 'better quality image'. It means what the H and the D stand for - high definition. To 99.9% of the population it has nothing to do with number of lines, nor even aspect ratio.



    It's even worse than that.



    The proliferation of "HD" apps in the store tells us that "HD" actually means something closer to "super-duper," as most of the HD apps aren't really HD anything but rather just the "full" version of the free app. In that sense "HD" is just the opposite of "Lite."



    In the 70's one put "super" in front of a title for the same effect. In the 90's it was putting "Extreme" (or XTreme), after the title. Today it's "HD."
  • Reply 135 of 145
    How a marketing executive counts up to ten...



    1... 2... HD... XP... Millennium Pro... Snow Leopard... CS3... First Premier Elite... X (Pronounced 'ten')
  • Reply 136 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Sure, but the resolution is 1440x1080. He was saying that 1440x1080 can't be HD. Bottom line: 2048x1536 is high definition.



    I thought that part of the discussion was about whether or not HD specifically requires widescreen.
  • Reply 137 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dave2012 View Post


    How a marketing executive counts up to ten...



    1... 2... HD... XP... Millennium Pro... Snow Leopard... CS3... First Premier Elite... X (Pronounced 'ten')







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    It's even worse than that.



    The proliferation of "HD" apps in the store tells us that "HD" actually means something closer to "super-duper," as most of the HD apps aren't really HD anything but rather just the "full" version of the free app. In that sense "HD" is just the opposite of "Lite."



    In the 70's one put "super" in front of a title for the same effect. In the 90's it was putting "Extreme" (or XTreme), after the title. Today it's "HD."



    Which is why I think Apple should adopt a 90's car naming convention - the iPad HDxsi... how cool is that? Its better than HD - its xsi! Reminds me of the guitar player in Spinal Tap explaining how his amp is louder than other amps because its got 11 steps on the volume control instead of the more common 10 steps.
  • Reply 138 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    It's even worse than that.



    The proliferation of "HD" apps in the store tells us that "HD" actually means something closer to "super-duper," as most of the HD apps aren't really HD anything but rather just the "full" version of the free app. In that sense "HD" is just the opposite of "Lite."



    In the 70's one put "super" in front of a title for the same effect. In the 90's it was putting "Extreme" (or XTreme), after the title. Today it's "HD."



    In regards to iOS apps Lite seems to mean free and HD means large, or more specifically designed for iPad.



    Because some people foolishly associate high definition with widescreen I am thinking iPad HD is plausible to drive home just how much of an evolutionary jump this display is. I also think appending HD to the end of Apple TV wouldnt be shocking.
  • Reply 139 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    In regards to iOS apps Lite seems to mean free and HD means large, or more specifically designed for iPad.



    Because some people foolishly associate high definition with widescreen I am thinking iPad HD is plausible to drive home just how much of an evolutionary jump this display is. I also think appending HD to the end of Apple TV wouldnt be shocking.



    Apple TV HDxsi 3 - (HD here stands for 'Homer Designed') pure awesomeness.
  • Reply 140 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I thought that part of the discussion was about whether or not HD specifically requires widescreen.



    His argument is that a 4:3 resolution would bastardized the term and be dishonest. I pointed out a known HD resolution that is 4:3. The pixel dimensions are irrelevant at this point but backs up my argument since 1440x1080 would not be represented pixel for pixel on a 16:9 HD display. No matter how you slice it high definition is not a measure of the aspect ratio. Of course, we now have people who say 720p isn't or wasn't HD.



    PS: If being well above 1920x1080 isn't HD then is having a wider than 16:9 aspect ratio not widescreen because it's not common on TVs?
Sign In or Register to comment.