Judge orders Motorola to provide Apple details of Google's acquisition plans, Android development

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Hundreds of millions according to this 9to5Mac article.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/23/apple-...is-it-working/

Just to point out - Dan Lyons has never been accurate in any of his predictions about Apple.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    Then why was Jobs so upset?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Eric Schmidt was on the Board of Directors at Apple. That's an executive position made up of some people who are actually from outside the company. They deal with policies, objectives and budgets.

Do those guys really get to go down into the labs and see ANY of the secret stuff Apple is working on?

I seriously doubt that.

I bet Schmidt saw the iPhone when the rest of us did... at the keynote.

You know how secretive Apple is... I don't think anyone knew what was going on with the "iPhone" project except those who were actually involved in it. The fewer people... the better.

Also... you know how products have codenames inside the company? That's for exactly this reason. I doubt anyone muttered the word "iPhone" in the halls of Cupertino prior to January 9, 2007.

BTW... I'm not defending Schmidt... but I seriously doubt Steve Jobs let ANY person, or CEO of another company, into their secret labs to snoop around...

The Board of Directors meet upstairs in the boardroom... not downstairs in Engineering...

• Reply 63 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

Then why was Jobs so upset?

Besides that, we know the board saw prerelease Apple products.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    And this is news? Like who didn't see this coming?

We all know Android is a STOLEN PRODUCT.

At some point Google's chickens were going to come home to roost.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Another view on patent litigation and what the real goal may be.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...-cross-license

FWIW the Open Invention Network has indicated that Android will also fall under their open-source protection in the very near future.

https://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sour...otection/10491
  • Reply 66 of 89
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Quote:

So it's not essential to Android?

Anyway, it's not been determined that Android actually is using any IP included in the '263 patent. A preliminary opinion by one Judge thought it might. There were previous ones who thought it didn't. And no court has yet ruled on any validity arguments.

Pls understand - Googorola's problems come from its attempt to get injunctions based on STANDARD ESSENTIAL patents.

There is no such issue with ESSENTIAL patents that are not standard encumbered.
  • Reply 67 of 89
    Quote:

Hundreds of millions according to this 9to5Mac article.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/23/apple-...is-it-working/

Yeah. And that's why the stock has gained only ~$150B in mkt cap since all this started. Poor Apple. /s
  • Reply 68 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

At some point Google's chickens .....

Don't give them any more new product ideas....
  • Reply 69 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Pls understand - Googorola's problems come from its attempt to get injunctions based on STANDARD ESSENTIAL patents.

There is no such issue with ESSENTIAL patents that are not standard encumbered.

I do understand.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. And that's why the stock has gained only ~$150B in mkt cap since all this started. Poor Apple. /s

What does one have to do directly with the other?
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Bull. Jobs made a heated argument to his biographer about what he thinks of Android. All Apple's battles have been about getting features removed from Android that Apple thinks they developed to differentiate Apple products from Android.

Nothing Apple has done is even close to "going thermonuclear" or "destroying" Android.

They say actions speak louder than words. Apple's actions are NOT in line with what Jobs said.

Usually you don't go into war all-out guns ablazin'. There are usually warning shots..offers of diplomacy.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

What does one have to do directly with the other?

If I have to explain - i.e., if it's not obvious - you probably won't get it anyway. So why bother.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If I have to explain - i.e., if it's not obvious - you probably won't get it anyway. So why bother.

Simple. They don't have anything really to do with each other so there's nothing to explain.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Do you mind not posting screenshots of the Android operating system here?

That shit is ugly.

Grow.up dude.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Go back and read the post of the first person who brought up Xerox and the mouse on this thread. Pretty sure the next sentence mentioned "stealing" and implied that Jobs had done so. Nevermind, here's the quote for you...

Thompson

He put stealing in quotes specifically because it's not stealing. He was being ironic or sarcastic whatever the right word is. His intention (based on context and perceived tone) was to point out that inspiration is inspiration
  • Reply 76 of 89
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And you'd be seriously wrong.

The Board was certainly involved in decisions that probably cost Apple tens of millions of dollars and involving potentially billions of dollars in revenues.

Involved in lots of decisions for the good of the corporation? Yes.

People from outside the company taking a peek at Apple's engineering samples? I still have my doubts.

If Schmidt had all this early, inside knowledge of what Apple was doing in 2006 or earlier... why did it take so long for the first Android phone to come out?

We didn't even see Android until 11 months after the iPhone announcement... and the first Android phone was released 22 months after the iPhone announcement.

What was Google waiting for... making it perfect?
  • Reply 77 of 89
    Quote:

If Schmidt had all this early, inside knowledge of what Apple was doing in 2006 or earlier... why did it take so long for the first Android phone to come out?

We didn't even see Android until 11 months after the iPhone announcement... and the first Android phone was released 22 months after the iPhone announcement.

You're joking, right? You realize that code takes time to write.

The Lisa came out two years before Windows 1.0. There's no question that it was lifted from Apple's stuff, but you don't see people asking, "Why did it take so long to release Windows if it was?"
  • Reply 78 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're joking, right? You realize that code takes time to write.

The Lisa came out two years before Windows 1.0. There's no question that it was lifted from Apple's stuff, but you don't see people asking, "Why did it take so long to release Windows if it was…"

Then what did Google get when they purchased Android in 2005? Wasn't there any code written already?

Schmidt joined the Apple Board on August 28, 2006. By that time... the iPhone was nearing completion.

How much time did Schmidt spend down in the labs at Apple?

If he did get his hands on a finished iPhone between August and December 2006.... why wasn't he personally sued for stealing corporate secrets?

Is that the "betrayal" Jobs spoke about?

Did Al Gore and the other Board members get to touch the iPhone before it was released?

I honestly have no idea...
  • Reply 79 of 89
    Quote:

Did Al Gore and the other Board members get to touch the iPhone before it was released?

I would imagine so.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would imagine so.

In that case... fry the bastards

But seriously... whether Schmidt saw a prototype iPhone in late 2006... or the finished iPhone in January 2007... it doesn't really matter.

At least Android was finally inspired by the iPhone