Apple may push interactive catalogs as part of 'iPad 3' rollout on Wednesday

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

On the eve of Apple's expected unveiling of the third-generation iPad, the company has introduced a new Catalogs category to the App Store, hinting at a possible announcement related to interactive catalogs on the iPad as part of Wednesday's big event.

The arrival of the new category appears to have been premature, as it has currently has no popular apps listed in iTunes Preview and has yet to appear in All Categories listing for the App Store on iTunes.

Considering that Apple is widely expected to unveil a Retina Display-equipped iPad on Wednesday, the company is likely readying a push for the release of ultra-high-resolution interactive catalogs delivered to the iPad via the App Store.

"The impact of the iPad in the shopping and publication industries has been massive. Many thousands of apps have been added over the last 2 years to address the consumers need to interact with their favorite books, magazines and brands within an iPad optimized experience," said Joaquin Ruiz, CEO of the leading catalog app, "Catalog Spree."

"Adding an app category is not something that Apple does lightly and we believe Apple's decision reflects the importance of this use-case in the Apple App Store ecosystem," he added.

Prior to Tuesday, "Catalog Spree" and other shopping entertainment apps had been categorized as "Lifestyle" apps. However, Apple has already begun switching applications over to the new category, as the application is now listed under Catalogs. The transition still has some kinks, though. For instance, clicking on the new category in iTunes takes users to a blank screen that says only "iPad Catalogs."

Apple rival Google has already launched its own initiative for digital catalogs on tablets. Though Google, of course, has a vested interest in promoting its catalog service for the Android operating system, it does also have an iPad version of the application. Google Catalogs is also now listed under Apple's new Catalogs category.

In addition to an improved display, the next-generation iPad is expected to include a faster processor and 4G Long-Term Evolution connectivity. Apple's March 7 media event kicks off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope they demo Catalogs tomorrow. My eyes are already glossing over.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Catalogs are for selling. I wonder if Apple is planning to let retailers sell their products via iPads and, if so, what sort of cut it'll take. Insisting on 30% will get few takers. Charge 2-3% like credit cards and they'll get a flood of businesses.

And since prices and product lines change, they'll need a auto-revision scheme.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Catalogs are for selling. I wonder if Apple is planning to let retailers sell their products via iPads and, if so, what sort of cut it'll take. Insisting on 30% will get few takers. Charge 2-3% like credit cards and they'll get a flood of businesses.

I'll give you 10% as the Apple cut...

This is aimed at Amazon, not Google..

You pissameoff -- i gonna eat your lunch!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

If the way they let people "buy" through apps is to use their iTS account for the purchase and take the standard transaction fee that could be huge... and convenient.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

How about 0%... Apple only takes a cut of content sold through their devices that is meant to be used on the device, not physical (real world) items. Apple doesn't charge any fees for Amazon or eBay or any other shopping app.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If the way they let people "buy" through apps is to use their iTS account for the purchase and take the standard transaction fee that could be huge... and convenient.

B.B.B...Bingo!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    iShop?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    iAd, iBooks, and now Catalog?

I think I've probably forgotten about another half dozen HTML 5 + CSS 3 apps that create multimedia / interfaces (assuming they've followed their other technology). The Widgets also use much of that in combination with a few Objective C components you can put in the back end.

Apple really needs to consolidate all these various publishing and multimedia formats. They can grow their developer market if they try and stick to a one platform that could have different specs for delivery.

>> It's getting hard to keep track of the innovation.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Looks like it's a section under the App Store, not a complement different section under iTunes Store or an arm of their business.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Looks like it's a section under the App Store, not a complement different section under iTunes Store or an arm of their business.

I agree. They just noticed that some "mail order" places were putting their catalogs on the iPad and decided to make a new category for it, there's nothing more to it than that.

The iTunes Store will need to be updated to support iPad3-only apps, and 1080p video purchasing, so they probably rolled a few other minor changes in at the same time.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Ohmigod! That's, like so totally kewl! I am sooooo jazzed! A new way to buy things! I just totally absolutely really (really!) love things! Especially while I'm buying them!

Of course, being an American, over 90% of what I buy quite literally and actually ends up in the trash within 6 months, no hyperbole or metaphor required.

But? Whatever. It's just so totally awesome to be able to buy tihs! And anyway, isn't that, like, why we're here? I mean, Jesus tried to help the poor so that they could buy things! I so totally heart Apple! I mean, like, they build the best sewer pipes in the whole world!

The straw is so totally awesome that I never even notice what I'm sucking through it.

(I really can't wait to buy the new iPad. Math really is hard and I really would rather go shopping. And I really do I hate myself. I'm also very tired, my head hurts, and I I think I'm about to cry. Does anyone here know how we got like this? Will somebody pat my shoulder, say "There, there?" and tell me it'll all be alright, even though we both know that's a lie?)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Provide means for IKEA etc to distribute theirs for free. Apple don't need to to get a cut. They sell the hardware at prices. That's enough.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

I think I've probably forgotten about another half dozen HTML 5 + CSS 3 apps that create multimedia / interfaces (assuming they've followed their other technology). The Widgets also use much of that in combination with a few Objective C components you can put in the back end.

Apple really needs to consolidate all these various publishing and multimedia formats. They can grow their developer market if they try and stick to a one platform that could have different specs for delivery.

>> It's getting hard to keep track of the innovation.

I just read that in Shatner's voice.