Apple unveils new Apple TV with 1080p video output, simpler interface

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

The new Apple TV set-top box supports 1080p high-definition output and a simplified user interface, all available for the same $99 price when it goes on sale next week.

Apple VP Eddy Cue gave a demonstration of the new Apple TV on Wednesday, showing off big billboard images to present movies. The updated set-top box also has easier access to Photo Stream.

The refreshed version incorporates a user interface that looks more like the Home page of other iOS products, with app-like buttons for Movies, TV Shows, Music, Computers, Settings, and support for existing features such as Netflix, MLB, NBA and NHL.

"People are going to love streaming movies and TV shows in 1080p with the new Apple TV, and photos look beautiful displayed at the maximum resolution of your TV," said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Apple TV is easier than ever to use with its new icon-based interface and the ability to access your purchased movies, TV shows and music right from iCloud."

Owners of the second-generation Apple TV will be able to access the new user interface with a free software update scheduled to become available today. 1080p video playback will remain exclusive to the new Apple TV.

1080p programming available for the Apple TV will include iTunes movies and TV shows, Netflix, Vimeo, photos and more. And with an updated iTunes in the Cloud, customers will be able to play movies and TV shows bought on the iTunes Store instantly on their Apple TV.

The Apple TV also recommends movies for users based on their viewing habits. With a long-press of the menu button, users can go back to the home screen quickly.

Apple TV users will be able to choose from over 15,000 movies and more than 90,000 TV episodes on the iTunes Store.

The new Apple TV will be available for $99 and will go on sale next week. It can be ordered starting today, and will require iTunes 10.5 or later.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Still requires a computer on and iTunes open. No sale.

Try again next year, Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Any interface changes to my 2.0 black box unit?
  • Reply 3 of 78
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Now we just need iTunes Match for video.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    I really like how the new interface looks. That seems to be a huge improvement at the very least
  • Reply 5 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Now we just need iTunes Match for video.

That would be a game changer for sure.

I'm buying this. Very curious what the internals are
  • Reply 6 of 78
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member
    Was planning on picking up a second ATV for the bedroom anyways, so I'll def be getting this!
  • Reply 7 of 78
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    "Allegedly simpler interface" or "redesigned interface" should be the headline. It could be "simpler", but how do we know for sure yet? Regurgitating marketing jargon isn't the way to write a headline! That's the way we ended up with everyone falsely reporting that the iPad2 had "rounded" edges while in fact the exact opposite was true.

With that said, I'll be ordering at least 2 as soon as they're available online. xbmc and the new hardware will make a quite powerful streaming box.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Actually, I hardly access my computer's content from my Apple TV. 90% of the content I view on my Apple TV is streaming from the internet, whether that's movies I rent from the iTunes store, movies I view on Netflix, videos I watch on YouTube or Vimeo, or content I've purchased previously on iTunes that I can now stream right from Apple's servers without having to connect to my computer.

Then about 9% of the time is me streaming content from my iPhone straight to my Apple TV. Mostly music, sometimes videos or photos that I've taken.

That leaves about 1% of the time when I'll load up my computer so I can watch content from it to the Apple TV. It's nice to have that option when I want it. But it's not AT ALL required.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

It's nice to have that option when I want it. But it's not AT ALL required.

Okay. For YOU. For me it is. I'm not streaming my stuff down. I have it all here. RIGHT here. Locally. I should be able to get to it seamlessly.

You aren't me. It's required for ME to buy it. I'll buy THREE on the same day they actually announce one. Until then, no sale.

What I'd like to see added are live streaming apps (The buttons. They count as apps) of the major news networks. Then we could really cut out the archaic nonsense (cable/satellite) for good.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    I've been waiting for 1080p before buying an AppleTV. Thanks!
  • Reply 11 of 78
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Still no app store, do no local content providers like the BBC in the UK can be added, very disappointing.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

Actually, I hardly access my computer's content from my Apple TV. 90% of the content I view on my Apple TV is streaming from the internet, whether that's movies I rent from the iTunes store, movies I view on Netflix, videos I watch on YouTube or Vimeo, or content I've purchased previously on iTunes that I can now stream right from Apple's servers without having to connect to my computer.

Then about 9% of the time is me streaming content from my iPhone straight to my Apple TV. Mostly music, sometimes videos or photos that I've taken.

That leaves about 1% of the time when I'll load up my computer so I can watch content from it to the Apple TV. It's nice to have that option when I want it. But it's not AT ALL required.

I've found access to itunes hit and miss but itunes running on a PC might be the problem.

I have an ATV2 but will watch what the jailbreakers do before deciding on an ATV3. I'm currently running xmbc on a mac mini and can also access lots of TV shows through safari. If the ATV3 could do that out of the box, the decision would be easy.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    amador_oamador_o Posts: 67member
    This isn't enough to get me to replace my old ATV, but it's enough for me to finally add one to my last TV. Now I would like to see new routers that double as an iTunes server, cause I do stream content from my own library, and having to have a computer on for that is a drag.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I really like how the new interface looks. That seems to be a huge improvement at the very least

No it is not. It flattens structure of navigation. Try to explain this to an older person (navigation) and you will understand.

That works with shallow (two levels) structure - not with deep navigation. Want proof? That's exactly what they did: "long-press menu button"... because one does not want or know how return level up.

Also this is not very innovative as similar approach was already in Front Row (before iPhone)... just different buttons and layout.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

"Allegedly simpler interface" or "redesigned interface" should be the headline. It could be "simpler", but how do we know for sure yet? Regurgitating marketing jargon isn't the way to write a headline! That's the way we ended up with everyone falsely reporting that the iPad2 had "rounded" edges while in fact the exact opposite was true.

Agreed. I find the ATV2 interface annoying at times, but this looks like it will be annoying in its own way -- unless you can re-organize it, you'll have to scroll down each time you want Netflix or other services not on the top tier (and where are podcasts now)?

Also, they're clearly pushing iTunes over other services (I'm not blaming them, I'm just saying...). After all, I can watch "movies" and "tv shows" under Netflix too (and, HOPE HOPE HOPE, someday under Hulu, etc.). But with those two buttons on the top tier, separate from the Netflix button / "app", I bet it will confuse a lot of people.

Aside - what *I'd* like is a way to search across multiple services - I get annoyed doing a search in iTunes, not finding what I'm looking for, and then having to start from scratch in Netflix again. It should be a seamless experience.

Quote:

What I'd like to see added are live streaming apps (The buttons. They count as apps) of the major news networks. Then we could really cut out the archaic nonsense (cable/satellite) for good.

Agreed. Make the interface fully iOS-like; make "apps" (or widgets) for individual networks, and let users re-organize the screen so their most-used apps are on the first screen / top tier.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    I was a bit underwhelmed by the ATV3 presentation - after all the good comments on here last week, I was thinking "that's it? 1080p and a redesigned [and arguably no better] interface?" What about internal memory again, what about ability to run separate from a PC running iTunes, what about some nice surprise announcements about Hulu or Amazon Prime?

Also, not clear to me whether this new interface is *only* for the ATV3, or if a software update will also bring it to ATV2 -- anyone pick up on that?
  • Reply 17 of 78
    mkralmkral Posts: 57member
    Quote:

Quote:

... It's nice to have that option when I want it. But it's not AT ALL required.

Quote:

Okay. For YOU. For me it is. I'm not streaming my stuff down. I have it all here. RIGHT here. Locally. I should be able to get to it seamlessly.

You aren't me. It's required for ME to buy it. I'll buy THREE on the same day they actually announce one. Until then, no sale.

TS, you were the one that started with the 'global' proclamations. Xanthohappy was just replying to your original post. It is not at all required that a computer remain on, with itunes running. For YOU that is the case, but you made no mention of that in your original post, you just proclaimed that it was a necessity, when it was not. If you would have originally written 'Still requires a computer on & itunes running FOR ME' then no one would have responded pointing out your inaccuracy.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Also, not clear to me whether this new interface is *only* for the ATV3, or if a software update will also bring it to ATV2 -- anyone pick up on that?

I am still waiting for confirmation on that as well. The new interface is something I'd like to enjoy without paying an extra $99 for it. Can anyone confirm this?
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensoniq View Post

I am still waiting for confirmation on that as well. The new interface is something I'd like to enjoy without paying an extra $99 for it. Can anyone confirm this?

There's no way Apple's gonna let old models have it. I hope to be wrong, but I'll bet I'm not.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    A nod to Steve Jobs. Notice the e-mail address associated with the account.