Video of Apple's third-gen iPad event now available to stream

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

The full video of Apple's unveiling of the third-generation iPad, new Apple TV, iPhoto for iOS and more is now available online to stream.

The video was posted very quickly after Wednesday's event concluded. The keynote was hosted by Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, and featured presentations by other members of the company's top brass, including Phil Schiller and Eddy Cue.

The biggest news Wednesday was the new iPad, which features a high-resolution Retina Display and a new A5X CPU packing a quad-core graphics processor starting at $499. The cameras have also been improved, with a rear-facing 5-megapixel lens capable of 1080p video, while the wireless-capable models now feature connectivity with 4G LTE networks from carriers like Verizon and Sprint.

In addition to the new iPad, Apple will also continue to sell the 16-gigabyte iPad 2. The Wi-Fi-only model will be $399, while the 3G-capable version will be $529.

Also announced on Wednesday was the new Apple TV, an upgrade to the iOS-based model which features a faster processor for 1080p playback. It also features a simplified user interface and carries the same $99 price as its predecessor.

Movies and TV shows have also been added to Apple iTunes in the Cloud functionality. Through iCloud, movies and TV shows that have been purchased through iTunes can be re-downloaded to devices like an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC.

Apple also used Wednesday's keynote to show off updates to its iWork and iLife suites. In particular, a new version of iPhoto for iOS was unveiled. The $4.99 software will allow users to easily edit photos with multi-touch gestures.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    is Apple's online store down again?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Apple 'unveils' are not the same without Jobs. While this should be no surprise to anyone, it's still sad.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

is Apple's online store down again?

The store front looks down but I used

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ad/family/ipad

and am checking out with my iPad and the AppleCare in my cart.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    In 2012 I can't believe that the best I can do is watch a crippled "live" blog from the presentation floor. How is this not the freakin superbowl of technology and why was Apple not streaming this live.

Just seems weird to me
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple II+ View Post

In 2012 I can't believe that the best I can do is watch a crippled "live" blog from the presentation floor. How is this not the freakin superbowl of technology and why was Apple not streaming this live.

Just seems weird to me

Multicasting on that scale is not practical.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    nwmacnwmac Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Just seems weird to me

I don't think it's a technology challenge. Apple has live streamed keynotes in the past. As mentioned on MacBreak Weekly today, it's probably a marketing move. By not streaming the keynote, they are promoting intense competition from tech journalists to live-blog the event, which creates massive FREE buzz. There would be a much-reduced frenzy if everyone could watch the keynote live on their own.

Apple is very deliberate on this stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    nwmacnwmac Posts: 6member
    The replay keeps stopping at around the 25 minute mark and I can't watch further. Has happened on two different computers. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Now, let the MACBOOK rumors begin
  • Reply 9 of 20
    So much for watching this
  • Reply 10 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What an incredibly boring event. With Steve gone we need more Jony. These product intro videos without him just aren't the same. Phil Schiller's marketing team is no replacement for Jony. I say either have Jony and Scott do more do the presenting or stop having these events all together.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What an incredibly boring event. With Steve gone we need more Jony. These product intro videos without him just aren't the same. Phil Schiller's marketing team is no replacement for Jony. I say either have Jony and Scott do more do the presenting or stop having these events all together.

Has Jony EVER been on stage? Why should they stop the keynotes? Everyone loves the keynotes. Silent launches are lame.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Anybody know how long before this comes out in iTunes podcast? Don't have latest aTV to stream to my HD TV, thought watching it with my 1st gen aTV on a HDTV rather than a comp + HD monitor... If I can hold it.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    As usual, airplay playback doesn't work with the stream immediately after release. This has been the case for as long as airplay has existed as far as I can remember.

It isn't clear whether this is due to high server load or the type of stream that is offered initially after release. By the next day, it typically works as expected.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nwmac View Post

I don't think it's a technology challenge. Apple has live streamed keynotes in the past. As mentioned on MacBreak Weekly today, it's probably a marketing move. By not streaming the keynote, they are promoting intense competition from tech journalists to live-blog the event, which creates massive FREE buzz. There would be a much-reduced frenzy if everyone could watch the keynote live on their own.

Apple is very deliberate on this stuff.

I see your point, it's just I can't believe NBC wouldn't have done a live feed, I'm mean come on, what else was on expect the Price Is Right and a few tired soaps
  • Reply 15 of 20
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Shoot, won't work on iPad 1.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

I see your point, it's just I can't believe NBC wouldn't have done a live feed, I'm mean come on, what else was on expect the Price Is Right and a few tired soaps

Does apple really have much to gain by allowing live video? Their method seems to manage hype better than anyone other method currently in use.

Live events also have a huge potential for problems. Millions of people may witness a mistake, glitch, delay or other random problem.

But yeah, I too would love to watch these events live again.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Steve set an incredibly high bar for product launches. CEOs are generally not good at this style of presentation. Which other Apple CEO was good at it? Ever. And Microsoft. Both their CEOs have been terrible when they try to hype up launches. They get away with it because their product doesn't need to be exciting to sell. I suppose Apple is a bit in that terrain now. Even Gil Amelio could sell the current line-up.

Why does the CEO need to announce a new product? Appoint someone with stage presence to do this stuff. Hire an actor if necessary. They do that for TV ads and this is really not that different.

If they must use top management, give them the sort of media training politicians get. That's how totally rubbish politicians get elected so making a good tech product sound appealing can hardly be a challenge to people who can get a clown elected to run a country.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    I am runni8ng the keynote stream off youtube (works better from my work pc) and Tim gets to the video 5minutes in, and there is no sound

"no audio due to copyright claim by WMG"

Ah warner, such a comical crowd
  • Reply 19 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I am runni8ng the keynote stream off youtube (works better from my work pc) and Tim gets to the video 5minutes in, and there is no sound

"no audio due to copyright claim by WMG"

Ah warner, such a comical crowd

They need shut down. Period.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It's irritating that they disable the full screen button on browsers that aren't Safari.