Apple releases Configurator for managing iOS devices from a Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014


Apple has released a new Mac app named Configurator for managing groups of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices for schools, businesses or other institutions.



The new app lets groups centrally setup new devices, install custom apps, update iOS software, backup and restore app data and settings, configure group settings (such as VPN or WiFi network credentials) and policies (such as setting minimum password policies, turning off Location Services or setting Parental Control-style restrictions) and personalize devices with specified data and documents (such as adding a group calendar).



Now listed in the Mac App Store, the free utility can be used to manage up to 30 devices at a time.





















Mac Configurator is essentially an easier to use version of the , pushing configuration profiles to iOS devices that a school or business has configured as managed devices.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Sounds really useful.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Mac Configurator is essentially an easier to use version of the , pushing configuration profiles to iOS devices that a school or business has configured as managed devices.



    I was wondering how is it different from Configuration Utility. It seems the only difference on how many devices it can handle.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member
    I hear IT folks collectively sighing in relief at this release.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    I was wondering how is it different from Configuration Utility. It seems the only difference on how many devices it can handle.



    I'm not getting why the limit to 30 devices. Even for a classroom that seems like you're pushing it. What am I missing?







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thejd View Post


    I hear IT folks collectively sighing in relief at this release.



    As noted in the article iPhone Configuration Utility for Mac and Windows has been out for years for this type application.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I'm not getting why the limit to 30 devices. Even for a classroom that seems like you're pushing it. What am I missing?



    You're missing Mac OS X Server
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I congratulate, a brilliant idea and it is duly
  • Reply 7 of 8
    joefratjoefrat Posts: 7member
    I think I am nearing the point where I need this to manage the various devices in my family.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post


    You're missing Mac OS X Server



    Actually, this application is the new and updated Mac OS X Server.
Sign In or Register to comment.